Some things

This post'll be sort of an odd assortment of things (mostly studies, which aren't terribly interesting).

First, some stuff from a class I took this semester (with quality cellphone and webcam photography).

uRHHh.png
^A stippled shell that's part of a larger project and unfinished in the photo, but it's the part of the piece I ended up liking best. Stippling was somehow both frustrating and relaxing at the same time.

cZNWN.png

^A sort of quick acrylic color study (it's an egg) (lol, the placement is almost the same as the stippled one :monster: ).

Couple of digital studies, directly referenced from photos from sxc.hu:
PtpFX.jpg
CglcF.png
I never really intended to complete them, because I'm lazy, although that probably would have helped me to learn more.

And then I attempted another swan-thing that was less of a photo copy:
zHNjn.jpg

And some doodles:
8lxhN.png
qpa9x.png

I've got some more sketches, but I haven't been able to scan them yet.

Thanks for looking! :)

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
I really like these, especially the digital stuff, for studies they're pretty damn good. You should do more.

Cookie Monster

NOM NOM NOM
PtpFX.jpg

zHNjn.jpg

Fuck yeah. I just wished you worked a bit more on the swan in the second picture. Maybe add some more shading and some reflection of light on the feathers or something.

Muy bueno.

Thanks for the comments!

BSPn7.png

I like to draw piranha plants. :monster:

A bunch of sketchbook stuff:
PlwS8.jpg

etL1W.jpg

UPMcq.png

aJEb8.jpg

cOwvR.png

E2iSE.png

PcvZr.png

l2Rli.png

^Surrounded by half erased doodles, hence the cutout. I started off trying to draw a mouse and ended up with a generic looking dog.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
These are something special

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
I love the sketches, you really have a gift for creating characters. Have you ever tried doing comics or animation?

And the Piranha plant is terrifying, I want it on my wall!

Oh my god, the cat! I love the cat! They're all amazing but the cat is something else again. Can I have it as an avatar? I would give you credit.
I also love the guy with the moustache - he looks like some kind of hopeless hedge knight from an animated version of King Arthur. Octo is right, you have an amazing talent there.

Thanks, guys! :)

I love the sketches, you really have a gift for creating characters. Have you ever tried doing comics or animation?

I've been really into looking at character design and cartoons and such for inspiration lately (and so my current stuff is heavily inspired by the designs and styles I've been seeing around), but I personally have a lot of trouble completing things beyond sketches (mostly floating heads :monster: ). Someday I'd like to have a try at a small comic or something, but I'd have to work at backgrounds and composition first.

LicoriceAllsorts said:
Oh my god, the cat! I love the cat! They're all amazing but the cat is something else again. Can I have it as an avatar?

Sure, of course! I was thinking of trying to color it sometime, but if you're fine with the sketch as is then go for it (feel free to resize and edit it, or let me know if you want me to clean up the scan).

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
I've been really into looking at character design and cartoons and such for inspiration lately (and so my current stuff is heavily inspired by the designs and styles I've been seeing around), but I personally have a lot of trouble completing things beyond sketches (mostly floating heads :monster: ). Someday I'd like to have a try at a small comic or something, but I'd have to work at backgrounds and composition first.

You've got a great eye for color and design; all you might really need is just references to see how artistic conventions work (like panel composition and angles) and the practice to back that understanding up, :monster:

But seriously those animal studies are fantastic.

I think I'll have this be the thread that I update when I have things to post (thus, sporadically). :monster:

fskbA.png

^Sketched an eevee and messed around with some colors in PS - I still have no idea how best to go about coloring what I draw. I think I should've gone with a vertical format, but by the time I realized I was still working with the original scan it was too late. I've got some more things I want to try coloring so I'm probably not going to do anything more with this.

eyx3W.png

^Another floating head :monster: . I didn't initially scan it in with the rest of the sketchbook stuff since it seemed sort of wonky but I can't really figure out what's off about it.

I've been procrastinating horribly at attempting to color things because I never know what I'm doing in PS anymore, but I'll have a go at it soon. Some more sketchbook stuff:

ePlKV.png

pRxCD.jpg

lHbFb.jpg

YRfwz.jpg

vuhK6.jpg

^Last one's a bit older and awkward.

PaaOv.png

(I'm all about floating eyebrows lately, apparently).

These probably aren't worth bumping this thread for, but here goes:

hNSsI.png

^Little frog sketch that makes no sense in terms of construction but I sort of like it anyway.

aE2f7.png

^From quite a while ago, ref'd from an art history book.

tcKTA.png

^Cleaned up the gator sketch from a while back. I got super lazy with the far away front foot, but it was good practice and I hope to work on some of my other older sketches in PS, too.

Sketchbook stuff. I plan on trying to clean up and color the Pokemon ones in PS at some point:

3oLOZNw.jpg

dv5L1ff.jpg

sUBB58q.jpg

RexKCJF.png

KrZoDAX.png

Octorok-inspired sort of things. I want to try to color them but I'm not sure what sort of style I should go for:

sOaQ1J5.png

lJ6MCA3.png

Fangu

Great Old One
You're already very good, and you're improving. I think you have a lot of potential. Keep going!!

Thanks, I'm glad to hear that I'm improving! I hope to keep at it!

More rough sketches, I really need to practice cleaning them up and stuff in PS, especially since it would force me to resolve drawing issues.

tumblr_mpvwv39SzW1s9firzo1_500.jpg

(^Floating torso because I'm lazy, but let's pretend he's teleporting or something).

Ru0yiqt.jpg

(Bottom one was very much How to Train Your Dragon inspired, also its eyes are really wonky.)

tumblr_mpvx1q4BxL1s9firzo1_500.png

Hm, I'm not really sure, I tend to go by artist rather than period or movement, and I don't know all that much about art history, but when I go to museums I generally gravitate to the 1800s-onward area, and most of my favorite artists are from the 1800s-early 1900s (but that encompasses academic art along with Impressionism and stuff, so I guess that doesn't really narrow it down in terms of style). I definitely admire the Old Masters, too, but I think I'm just a bit more personally drawn to the more modern period. Contemporary art, or at least the super conceptual stuff, isn't really my thing.

wander

‪‫‬‭ ‮
Hm, I'm not really sure, I tend to go by artist rather than period or movement, and I don't know all that much about art history, but when I go to museums I generally gravitate to the 1800s-onward area, and most of my favorite artists are from the 1800s-early 1900s (but that encompasses academic art along with Impressionism and stuff, so I guess that doesn't really narrow it down in terms of style). I definitely admire the Old Masters, too, but I think I'm just a bit more personally drawn to the more modern period. Contemporary art, or at least the super conceptual stuff, isn't really my thing.

excellent answer. I have no further questions. your taste is sharp and refined.

Haha, why thank you. :monster:

Some figure drawing stuff. (Spoiler'd for nudity)

UKT3Ldv.jpg

hMS42AG.jpg

tumblr_mpq47j9QQ01s9firzo1_1280.png

In the third one I was trying to emulate Michael Mattesi’s FORCE method, although it was done at the end of a long pose.

Top Bottom