• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Sonic the Hedgehog

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
Imma post what I said on facebook

you know what pisses me off the most about this trailer? The thing that has me boiling right now?

The dynamic between Robotnik and Sonic is on point. Jim Carry as Robotnik seems perfect. He's exactly how he should be. A complete pompous asshole who thinks everyone is beneath him. They also got Sonic's personality right and the voice is really good (though I have a soft spot for Roger Craig Smith.) The plot seems interesting and the action scenes look pretty good as well.... Honestly, the trailer made me genuinely laugh a few times so I can tell it has good humor. This could have been a good movie. This could have been the Sonic movie we've been waiting for....

And they had to COMPLETELY fuck it up making Sonic look like that. Like... HOW? WHY?... He looks like a guy in a bad suit. Next time just hire a guy in a suit! It'll save money. ugh...

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Found a video that pretty much sums up how I feel about how Sonic looks in this movie

Ghost X

I wonder if they're actually aiming for so bad it's good status? If they just said "AHAHAHA... fooled you" and dropped a kick ass Sonic trailer, that'd be genius marketing. Someone should do that with a well-loved franchise anyway, if not this one :P. I don't think that's actually what's going on, I think that obviously Sonic has mostly been in bad hands for the most part of almost two decades now :P.

It doesn't even look like a Sonic film done poorly, but a film in general done poorly. I can try to enjoy a film and pretend it is not related to a familiar franchise generally, but if this were completely unrelated to Sonic, I'd only probably give it a 2/5 stars based on the trailer alone. Almost every creative decision is bad, like yeah, random Gangsta's Paradise? Wat. I prefer the look of the Jim Carrey Robotnik at the very end of the trailer, barely.

Hollywood has yet to learn that mixing Earth with fictional worlds is not interesting, specifically if that's not what the source material is about. It seems to be a film aimed at kids or a family audience also, but can we not attempt to feed viewers (even kids) something with some level of intelligence? This, like a lot of crap out there, doesn't come across as intellectual on any level. I feel dumber for watching it.

Some person(s) made some kind of "HD remake" video (iirc) of Sonic 1 or 2 at least a few years ago now, which had plot development going on in the background while the platforming stuff is going on in the foreground. That's the kind of thing I want to see in a Sonic movie, minus the gameplay elements. Who knows what Sonic is in the minds of other people though. To me the comics, and everything else don't figure into it much. I'd be all for a silent (bar soundtrack) action-packed adventure/slapstick visual comedy. I think I even saw some official Sonic short films recently that were good. Why can't they string all that into a movie?

This film would (further) diversify the "pool of ideas" (I'm currently blanking on better terminology) future Sonic projects can draw from, I guess, but I do not feel for the better. They need to go back to basics.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Another thing that bugs the crap out of me, supposedly they made Sonic look like this so he could blend in with the real world settings... but he's a freaking ALIEN in this movie. He's not from Earth so it makes no sense, at all.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Im also tired of people who don't care about Sonic or not knowing the franchise saying, "He looks fine in the movie" or "He has to look like that"

If they can do it with Pokemon they can do it with Sonic

Hell they did it ages ago with Rocky and Bullwinkle and yeah that movie did bad but they still looked how they should. Even Who Framed Roger Rabbit got it right and these movies were long before cgi. There really is no excuse

Gary Caelum

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Gary Caelum
Didn't the Japanese wing of Sega give up on making sonic games way back? I thought it was all handled by the US branch?

ForceStealer

Double Growth
https://kotaku.com/artist-fixes-live-action-sonic-the-hedgehog-1834465956

qiq3ih1e071rfzww4kay.jpg

The legs are still too long, but it would definitely be much much better.

Castiel Strife

Pro Adventurer
I have never been a Sonic fan, and probably never will be. My ex used to be obsessed with it, so that makes me not like it even more. ? I did absolutely love Shadow the Hedgehog on GameCube, though. I’m probably the only person on earth that did. I thought it was fantastic. But I’m starting to see a trend, Sonic fans are actually a bit toxic.

So all that being said, I actually liked the trailer a lot. Again, might be the only one. I know it’s getting ripped to shreds but as someone who had absolutely zero interest in this and only watched the trailer to laugh at how horrible it was (since everyone made it out to be the worst thing ever), I’m actually interested in watching this now. Maybe it’s because I’m not a fan that I have interest in this movie, but it is what it is. I may even go catch it in theaters if I can find a willing participant. ?

Ryuman

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pointlessname, Pointer
Didn't the Japanese wing of Sega give up on making sonic games way back? I thought it was all handled by the US branch?
Not at all? There was a Sonic Team USA that became Sega Studios USA, and a few other studios that also worked on Sonic games. Yet all main entries (Excluding Mania) are still handled by the Japan-based Sonic Team. Though since Sonic is very western-focused, Sonic Team has a strong relationship with Sega of America.

Gary Caelum

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Gary Caelum
Lol yeah I appear to be 100% wrong about that. Dunno why I thought that.
It may have been because I remember Sonic Adventure 2 was developed in the US, and that inspired the City Escape level, so I just assumed all the rest were too.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Honestly I feel like he should have gotten the message sooner but glad they're open to change

Top Bottom