• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Sonic the Hedgehog

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
Former Archie writer/artist Ian Flynn of Sonic Archie series before it's cancellation and part of the Sonic IDW comics until the end of the Metal Virus Sega and having done the Zeti Hunt Arc is set to join in the development of the upcoming Sonic Prime TV series.

This link will most likely not work, but this is one of the sites that's confirmed his involvement almost everywhere.

Ian Flynn Confirmed to be Part of Sonic Prime - SoaH City
https://soahcity.com › 2021/10/17 › ian-flynn-confirmed-...

I'm really surprised that this guy has been hired for a Sonic TV show for the second time, first being for one of the episodes of the most disliked Sonic shows ever "Sonic Boom".

Leafonthebreeze

Any/All
AKA
Leaf
Wait people don't like the Sonic Boom show? The game was an absolute mess but I thought the show was great. I've not watched all of it but what I've seen had lots of self referential jokes and stuff for fans, and generally seemed a fun watch.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
I'm not sure what they are talking about, the tv show is pretty popular and carried good ratings. The games were hot garbage but that's entirely separate from the cartoon which carries a solid fanbase.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
Sorry, I thought a lot of people didn't like Sonic Boom, and while I have seen a couple of episodes, I'm not big into the show. The story is good and sometimes funny, and I kind of do like episodes like the Sleeping Giant, and Closed Door Policy, I didn't like the character designs, how Knuckles and Eggman were portrayed, and I think Tails is the only one that had a decent voice.

I know that a lot of people like Roger Craig Smith as Sonic, but to me and some of the other Sonic fans, he's just, well, not Sonic. Voice is too deep for him. I hope that when Craig Smith does really retire or go, they'll pick someone that makes Sonic sound like a teenager again that he really is.

I know they won't pick previous Sonic voice actors again besides Eggman since Sega seems to love Mike Pollock so much, but it would be nice to hear Jason Griffith again(at least I thought he was the best for Sonic).

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Got rid of my previous post in order to avoid in editing and making another one, if you know what I mean. Anyway, Sega has trademarked the title Sonic Frontiers which many people believe is the new title for next year's game.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Also it's really not *that* bad. Like I haven't encountered any glitches myself, but then I'm not playing on Switch, I more just have issues with the sound design and aesthetics. YMMV

Did the PS4/5 patch address your issues? I see it's discounted for $30 in NA now.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Any bets on whether they'll try and repeat that trick they did where they fucked up his design on purpose to cause outrage and a LOT of attention on the movie for a year?

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
What.

An open world Sonic game?

I try to have an open mind about these things, but that sounds like the worst combination possible for a Sonic game. I get trying to do something different but nothing about Sonic's gameplay, style or even aesthetic matches what's offered in an open world game experience. Are they going to slow him down? Okay, if so, why? What benefit is being offered by having Sonic meander at normal speed in an open world environment, climbing/crafting/exploring his surroundings? You'll essentially have Breath of the Wild, Sonic style.

If they do somehow try to jury-rig Sonic's high speed gameplay to an open world video game then once again, why? You will be moving so fast you won't even fully take in the surroundings, controlling at high speed will be difficult in a full range environment, and how does being "open" benefit this play style? What about the platforming, for instance? Combining precision controls for platforming, exploring, and more with the high speed movement of Sonic is a nightmare. Is it possible? I mean, maybe? That's like some serious game design alchemy that would require a philospher's stone to pull off.

It's like Sega monkeypawed the wish for another Sonic Adventure game. I have no idea how this can conceivably work without it turning it into some sort of miserable mish-mash title like Sonic Lost World. Good God, you just can't let Sonic fucking hold a solid identity, can you Sega?

At least the Sonic 2 movie trailer looked fucking awesome. Holy shit, I'm actually hyped for that. Never thought I'd be more hyped for a video game movie adaption than the game itself. :monster:

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Apparently Frontiers is being written by Ian Flynn, of Sonic comic book fame. That gives me hope the story will be good for once at least.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Sonic's stories aren't necessarily bad.

Hell, Sonic Lost World is a riot. I loved watching the cutscenes and seeing their interacteions.

The game just sucked to play. :monster:

I mean, that's cool Ian Flynn is on it. I'm sure it'll be an interesting premise and all. But, this is going to be one of those, "this is either going to turn out fucking brilliant or just fall flat on it's ass" games. Open world Sonic the Hedgehog is gonna take some serious alchemy to make work.

Just imagining Sonic's running tied to a stamina wheel just made me twitch violently.

Once again, I'm left begging Sega to just pick SOMETHING Sonic does really well and stick with it for 3 games before trying something off the wall.

Last edited:

Rankles

Pro Adventurer
Should just stick to the classic format. The moment they started going down the 3D route, the series went to shit.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Apparently Frontiers is being written by Ian Flynn, of Sonic comic book fame. That gives me hope the story will be good for once at least.

That's really surprised me. Both the fact that Sega actually released a new trailer for Sonic Frontiers which I honestly thought wouldn't happen and expected to only see both the trailer of the movie and more info on either Sonic Prime, which Ian Flynn is also working on by the way and that's the truth, and that the guy himself is working on the game as a new writer, or Sonic Origins which rumor has it that it's entered a development hell(How if it's just another compliation of the first four games, I have no idea).

Sonic's stories aren't necessarily bad.

Hell, Sonic Lost World is a riot. I loved watching the cutscenes and seeing their interacteions.

The game just sucked to play. :monster:

I mean, that's cool Ian Flynn is on it. I'm sure it'll be an interesting premise and all. But, this is going to be one of those, "this is either going to turn out fucking brilliant or just fall flat on it's ass" games. Open world Sonic the Hedgehog is gonna take some serious alchemy to make work.

Just imagining Sonic's running tied to a stamina wheel just made me twitch violently.

Once again, I'm left begging Sega to just pick SOMETHING Sonic does really well and stick with it for 3 games before trying something off the wall.

I wasn't impressed with how Sonic Lost World worked out, both story-wise and the Mario-gameplay like, well, gameplay. And Forces was even worse. The gameplay wasn't that bad, the story however was pretty bad.

Guess Sega decided that the guys who wrote Sonic Forces weren't cut out for the job and were desperate enough to hire Ian Flynn for not just Frontiers, but also for Sonic Prime TV series as well due to the seriousness of the comics, and maybe since he left after the Zeti Hunt Arc for the IDW comics that the heads were impressed that they decided to hire him for the game and while I find his story-telling to be dark, I have to admit at least his way of writing is better than the guys who did the 2017 game.

For the open world, we'll just have to wait and see and keep our expectations low to avoid in being completely disappointed like the previous years.

Plus, the name of the new place Starfall Island sounds beautiful. I really like that.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Well, there have been some awesome 3D Sonic games, but it is safe to say that Sonic's troubles all started making the transition from 2D to 3D.

For Mario, it was seamless and an evolution.

For Sonic? It's been touch and go. I have no idea why Sonic can't pick a path and just stick to it. The Adventure era was pretty good, but after that it's been hit and miss. Sonic 2006 is probably one big reason why we're not going to see a replication of the Adventure model of Sonic game. I personally feel the boost era was arguably the best in terms of games until Sonic Forces just fucked it all up. Sonic Unleashed, Sonic Colors, Sonic Generations... All amazing. Sonic Forces was a failure of cataclysmic proportions, not a failure of boost gameplay. They shit the bed with that game, and I'm still wondering how they thought that was okay.

For the open world, we'll just have to wait and see and keep our expectations low to avoid in being completely disappointed like the previous years.

I've long since stopped having hope for good Sonic games. So I'm perfectly equipped for this. :awesome:

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Should just stick to the classic format. The moment they started going down the 3D route, the series went to shit.
All I'm gonna say is that if I ever see Green Hill Zone again I'm gonna scream.
For Sonic? It's been touch and go. I have no idea why Sonic can't pick a path and just stick to it. The Adventure era was pretty good, but after that it's been hit and miss. Sonic 2006 is probably one big reason why we're not going to see a replication of the Adventure model of Sonic game. I personally feel the boost era was arguably the best in terms of games until Sonic Forces just fucked it all up. Sonic Unleashed, Sonic Colors, Sonic Generations... All amazing. Sonic Forces was a failure of cataclysmic proportions, not a failure of boost gameplay. They shit the bed with that game, and I'm still wondering how they thought that was okay.
Sega has been trend chasing for years and years, which is why Sonic has such an ill-defined identity in 3D. Between trying to rip off Mario and trying to please whining fans, Sonic has no consistency at all. I think the reason my brain still loves the Adventure games is because they're unabashedly themselves.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Well, there have been some awesome 3D Sonic games, but it is safe to say that Sonic's troubles all started making the transition from 2D to 3D.

For Mario, it was seamless and an evolution.

I've long since stopped having hope for good Sonic games. So I'm perfectly equipped for this. :awesome:

To be a little fair, the reason why Sonic 06 was a disaster was because Sega felt the pressure due to the new consoles coming out at the time and they decided that they had no choice but to rush it in order to release a new game rather than taking their time and move along with the new technology. The only thing they did good with the game was the music which I really like. Sonic Adventure 1 had a great story, but I felt the models in the game just a bit creepy. Glad that they got that a bit fixed up in Sonic Heroes and in Sonic Unleashed(one of my favorites), and Sonic Colors(the major downside for me for that game was Sonic's deeper voice and most of the voice cast being changed since I like the Sonic X cast, but that's just me).

Generations was okay, but yeah, Forces was the second disaster.

Probably for the best. It's like me being worried for not just for Sonic but also for other games like Kingdom Hearts since KH3 felt rushed story-wise.

Top Bottom