Sony PSP2 - lolwat

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
Acclaim developer David Perry and Sony Europe boss John Koller have been having a bit of a public showdown over the new iteration of the PSP. Perry surprised the gaming community last week when he issued a short message over twitter claiming that he knew the PSP 2 was coming and that it had no UMD drive to speak of. Then, later in the week Sony spokesman John Koller went on record saying that Sony remains "committed to the UMD format".

Many gamers and journalists have wondered what might replace UMD if Perry is correct and Sony really is going to phase out the clunky optical storage media. We won’t be sad to see them go, honestly – slow load times and a drain on battery life made the optical disk format more of a drag than an asset. But how will those without high-speed internet connections or access to Wifi purchase games, if Sony removes the UMD packaging from shelves?

Well, one answer to the storage question is already in front of us – Sony could copy Nintendo. With the rapidly declining price of solid-state memory like SD cards, and Sony’s proprietary Memory Stick Pro Duo, why not just slap games on a specially designed cartridge? Load times would be instantaneous, battery drain would be minimized, and consumers would still be able to pick up titles in the shops. If you are worried about price, don’t be. A 2 GB memory card can currently be had for around $6. By the time the PSP 2 ships in 2010 or 2011, we expect the price of solid-state memory cards to be even lower.

sony-psp-2-concept.jpg

http://www.pspworld.com/sony-psp/accessories/next-psp-could-use-cartridges-009987.php

This was back in March yet. The pic is a fake mock up of a new PSP2, but I just have to wonder... do they really need to put up a new PSP2? The PSP is fine as it is, and ditching UMD disks which they made specifically for it is just dumb. Touch screen might be a nice feature. :/

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I think it'd be stupid to make one now, but they'll have to eventually. If it didn;t come out till 2011 I suppose that would be kinda reasonable, when did the PSP come out, 2005?

Nocturne

Watching Thee From The Moon
AKA
Just Nocturne will do
Actually, its been talked about being another model of the PSP, not the PSP2 yet, especially since it has some big games coming out for it still.

Either way, Ill be getting the next one as well.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
A PSP 2 makes sense, and dropping UMD even moreso - it's a retarded format used only by the PSP (whilst marketed as a new standard of sorts - which it never became), and with today's wireless and internets technology, obsolete.

Nocturne

AKA
Just Nocturne will do
While I think digital distribution is a ways off (and Im not for it anyways), I would have no problem with the games being on memory sticks. In fact, Id prefer it.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
Utter indifference. So yes, probably :monster:

CK

buried but breathing
AKA
CK, 2D, wanker
I like the look of the fake prototype. :O

and yes UMD's = fail.

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
You guys all suck. But the new look isn't so bad. Then again, there's also this

fake_psp2.jpg

and this
Sony_Ericsson_PSP2_by_emrehusmen.jpg

and this
new_psp5.jpg

aaaaaaand this
iwish.jpg

and my fav cause it's so god damn ugly
psp-2_no-umd.jpg

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
You guys all suck. But the new look isn't so bad. Then again, there's also this

fake_psp2.jpg
This one actually looks kinda decent imo , if they just reverse the angle it slopes in it would be great.
Its current angle looks like it hurts XD

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
They should just attach a screen to the regular PS2 controller and be done with it, fgj.

Nocturne

AKA
Just Nocturne will do
you can bet the next PSP will have two analog sticks. Thats probably the thing people complained about the most.

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
I like the second one cause it's different. All these slidey techniques makes me wtf at them for it. Does a PSP really need a keyboard? :/

Top Bottom