• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Sony's Spider-Man: Now a Part of the MCU; And Now Not Again; And Now Is Again

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
I love how simultaneously it looks pretty cool but at the same time I can't feel any gravitas. Jokes + too many kids + generic music I guess.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
My brother got a cam rip because he doesn’t want to go to the movies during coronavirus (understandable) and he seemed to really like the movie. I walked in on a huge spoiler, apparently, but he turned off his monitor before I even registered anything.

The dude who got the cam rip was crying during the movie apparently, which I consider slightly hilarious

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
Seconded, my favorite of the MCU Spidey movies for sure…now I’m hoping they can deliver a movie in the future at least as good as this one, only more grounded and less fanservice-heavy

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
Spider-Man: Freshman Year Who's Who - Daredevil, Doctor Strange and More | Comic-Con 2022
One of the few confirmed voice actors right now is a major one, with Daredevil’s Charlie Cox back as the Man Without Fear. Following a high-profile cameo in Spider-Man: No Way Home, many expected Matt Murdock to return to the MCU in some capacity.
Willem Dafoe made his long-awaited return to the Spider-Verse for Spider-Man: No Way Home and might’ve gotten his happy ending when he was returned to his original timeline. In Freshman Year, Osborn takes on something of a mentor role - serving as a plot device similar to Tony Stark in Spider-Man: Homecoming. Osborn will cross paths with both Peter and Spider-Man, but it remains to be seen whether he’ll evolve into the Green Goblin.
Another famous face from Spider-Man’s rogue's gallery is the legendary Doctor Octopus. Again with a style reminiscent of Spider-Man: The Animated Series, this version of Doc Ock also takes nods from the comics with his bowl haircut and goggles. There are enough villains to fill the Sinister Six (and beyond) on this show, and it seems like Otto will be leading the pack here.
Better Call Saul’s Michael Mando had a minor role as Mac Gargan in Spider-Man: Homecoming, and although we never got to see him properly emerge as Scorpion, the character’s post-credit tease of the Sinister Six has become something of a cliffhanger. The Freshman Year concept art shown in the Marvel animation panel depicts Gargan in his classic Scorpion outfit - complete with green spandex and weaponized tail.

So…what the heck is this show? It’s supposedly set in the MCU but the way these characters are presented makes that not seem to be the case? Unless it’s a separate timeline within the MCU a la Multiverse of Madness?

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
It's definitely not MCU 616. I have a feeling that was the initial plan though since they explicitly announced it as his MCU origin story. I assume that has changed in the meantime.

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
It's definitely not MCU 616. I have a feeling that was the initial plan though since they explicitly announced it as his MCU origin story. I assume that has changed in the meantime.
Yeah, I remember them announcing it as the MCU Spider-Man’s story pre-Civil War, but even with Endgame/What If/Loki playing around with multiple timelines, it never occurred to me that this could be a variant of Tom Holland’s Peter Parker from an alternate timeline within the MCU.

We’ve since become more aware of how multiple timelines intersect with
Multiverse of Madness showing multiple timelines within the MCU and No Way Home showing us a crossover with timelines outside the MCU. So I guess it could still be MCU but, like you say, not MCU 616.

On the one hand, it gives the show and movies more freedom to do their own things, which I think is ideal personally. On the other hand, people were expecting to see more of Tom Holland’s Peter Parker, especially those still upset about not enough Uncle Ben.

Funny enough, it reminds me of FF7 Remake, where my default presumption is that stuff is the same as the original until it explicitly isn’t. Maybe whatever scenarios in the show don’t conflict with the movies, I can headcanon them as also having occurred to Tom’s Peter?

Top Bottom