Sony's... Surprisingly Well-Conceived VENOM Films

Finally watched this movie with its release on Swedish Netflix. It was a good time and I'd like to watch more comic book movies like this that isn't weighed down by the inflation of the MCU. Main frustration is that there's no blood and gore and you really feel like you're watching a censored version intended for the young teenagers.

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
Venom: Let There Be Carnage (2021)

Only in theaters on September 24 in the US, September 15 in the UK and September 16 in Australia.

E1BncXPVcAIVHTY

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Venom: Let There Be Carnage (2021)

Oh, I do just love Tom Hardy's very clear way of depicting the full-body exhausted state that Eddie's gotta be in while waking up in the morning with the Symbiote just doing its best to make breakfast, since it perfectly captures portraying how in a lot of ways that's gotta be like trying to raise a super-powered toddler. And on top of that – you know he's gotta be having a blast in the role, since he also gets to play that super-powered toddler having the time of its life as well.

Of everything, it's that particular nuance that I think bodes REALLY well for this – since the overall theme feels like it's gonna be a pretty big emphasis on what it's like raising a kid, since Carnage is Venom's offspring. You pair that with the themes that are being presented in the trailer of always having to leave someone behind for a protector who never shows up, and you've got the opposite end of the spectrum really well defined of what he considers to be his big weakness, as well as emphasizing his separation anxiety that's a critical part of the nature and also tension in his relationship with his Symbiote.

As a character in the comics, Eddie's always really deeply needed his Other and they've been co-dependent upon one another – whereas with Flash Thompson he & Venom were a lot more like really balanced equal partners, so it's super satisfying seeing those elements getting surfaced underneath everything else especially in a place where Carnage is uniquely positioned to psychologically undermine and also violently overpower him. The fact that the end scene is Carnage silhouetted against a stained glass window makes me think that they're gonna possibly even bring in some version of Eddie's breakdown which... will be VERY interesting to see how that leaves things and what the end-to-end story in this one's gonna be, especially since the Spider-man connection is a lingering one that seems like it's got a lot of elements that could potentially take those themes and lean in on them if they're allowed to. I'm also curious how this one counter in terms of Sony & Disney really recently making their deal for streaming Spidey films on both their platforms.

Woody Harrelson? Really?
I mean... were you expecting someone else after he'd already appeared as Cletus Kasady during the aftercredit scene of the original film to tease this one...? :awesomonster:

X :neo:

Erotic Materia

[CONFUSED SCREAMING]
I mean... were you expecting someone else after he'd already appeared as Cletus Kasady during the aftercredit scene of the original film to tease this one...? :awesomonster:
Touché. However that was 3 years ago and I have no memory of that scene. I choose to believe I was just as disappointed then, and my brain opted to suppress the memory.

Rankles

Pro Adventurer
First film was not good, and although I’m a big fan of Carnage, this doesn’t give the impression it’s going to be much (if at all) better...

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
It's also worth noting that this film is both written and directed by different people than the first film.

While Jeff Pinker & Scott Rosenberg did the screenplay & screen story for Venom, Kelly Marcel just contributed to the screenplay in that film. She's the only writer for this one, and while I'm not familiar with any of her other films, her first script-related work was as the script editor on Bronson which is one of the Tom Hardy films that I really dig, so she's likely got a really good idea of how to shape something that works well for his performance. On top of that, since Bronson is also about an inmate, that giver her an even better baseline to potentially do really well given that background.

Insofar as the director, he's got some familiarity with getting exceptional performances out of CG characters, since that's basically what everybody knows Andy Serkis for with Golum & Caesar. I don't recall if I ever got around to seeing his 2018 film Mowgli since that was right around when I was doing a ton to get ready to move, but this definitely seems like the right fit for him both tonally and insofar as content. I do expect that he'll have a lot of really good input in little nuances like looking at differentiation of things like the physicality, movement, and other digital performance-specific details between Venom & Carnage. While it's something that you're likely not to notice at all if it's done well, is important to help to make them be able to stand out from one another on screen, and also to differentiate Carnage from the other Symbiotes in the first film given the complete fusion that Kasady has that makes him the unique type of threat that he is.

He did a breakdown talking about a few little bits and pieces in the first trailer:

X:neo:

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
I wonder if Carnage will still be Venom’s offspring in the film (they already made Riot, another child of Venom unrelated in the first film) or if it will be more like the Ultimate universe Carnage origin, where it is synthetically made. Though Carnage being Venom’s offspring is probably more well known than Riot and the Life Foundation siblings are.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
I wonder if Carnage will still be Venom’s offspring in the film (they already made Riot, another child of Venom unrelated in the first film) or if it will be more like the Ultimate universe Carnage origin, where it is synthetically made. Though Carnage being Venom’s offspring is probably more well known than Riot and the Life Foundation siblings are.

I think with the way that Andy Serkis talked about Venom as being like a kid, as well as talking about the nature of how Cletus has an ongoing connection with Eddie as the only reporter that he'll speak with as a setting for the film, I think that that presents a method by which it's really likely that they're gonna keep Carnage as Venom's offspring. Not only does that create a legitimatization of that deeply uncomfortable connection between Eddie & Cletus into one that's now a genuine link, it reinforces Venom's responsibility to make sure Carnage isn't allowed to go out of control and that it HAS to be his business to handle that wouldn't work any other way. On top of that, there's a lot in that setup to use context about growth, development, and boundaries in relationships to keep things from turning dangerous that are baked in to using that perspective that I think that they're going to be digging into for this one in order to help Eddie & his Other start to develop a more healthy cooperative relationship, since the opening shows just how stressful it is to have that person in his head all the time, but that everything like that takes work.

thelastmagus

Lv. 25 Adventurer
AKA
Cecil
Oh my gods, SERIOUSLY. That's what I was holding my breath for when they revealed him in the trailer and got to have a good sigh of relief.

X:neo:

My friend leaned over to me in the cinema like: "...He looks like Sideshow Bob" and I just about died.

I don't believe in the concept of guilty pleasures, but I REALLY love the Venom movie and here's hoping the sequel is good too.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
My friend leaned over to me in the cinema like: "...He looks like Sideshow Bob" and I just about died.
Hahahaha. Oh my gods, that just got me so good. Thank you for sharing that.

I don't believe in the concept of guilty pleasures, but I REALLY love the Venom movie and here's hoping the sequel is good too.
Fingers crossed!!

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
I love how they differentiate the way that Venom flows around Eddie's body like a protective armor that can repair him, whereas Carnage just completely transforms Cletus' entire body, allowing him to do things like open up a hole in his chest cavity to just let bullets pass right through his center of mass in ways that Venom can't. A really excellent way of telling story through visuals.

I'm digging the lens on Venom's violent tendencies and relationship dysfunction, and it'll be interesting to see how they've interlaced those with the child-like elements from the earlier trailer. Really looking forward ta this!

Top Bottom