• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Spam discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

A

Great Old One
Maybe it starts getting annoying once you guys keep creating the same threads over and over again when it's already been discussed about.

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
Wanting a simple open discussion on something in a civil manner without having your thread automatically closed is considered a bad thing?

really?

I'm sorry.
Yeah the sarcasm is pretty much indicative of exactly what she's talking about I think.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
Discussing something over and over again when we've all been through it before is pretty pointless.

Munatik

Beacause I am a puppet
What does that have to do with anything? You all descended on a forum that has nothing to do with spam, doesn't even allow it, and now you want the rules to be changed to suit you? Wouldn't it be easier to create a forum with whatever rules you want?

This. Personally, I would find it ridiculous if the rules were changed regarding spam in order to satisfy a vocal few.

I get that friends want to have a place to have fun. I think that's cool. But I think there also has to be some regard for the purpose of this forum, as well as consideration for the way the staff and the rest of the community wants to represent themselves and this site as a reputable source for FFVII-related stuff.

From what I'm seeing, I doubt a spam section will be an asset. I want to acknowledge the argument that opening a spam section would shunt away pointless discussion from the main boards. That creates extra work in terms of moderation when the simpler solution is not allowing spam at all. I don't find that unreasonable when currently, whenever I'm on, I also see at least two moderators online. There is enough coverage in place to make sure things stay civil and--god forbid--somewhat intelligent. Therefore, I'm still not seeing the positives for a spam section, let alone the point of one.

Having said that, I do see V's point. This issue has apparently reached its boiling point while under the lid, but I'm thankful to see that the discussion is now being held in one place.

Edit: Now it's feeling as though a million voices cried out and were suddenly silenced.

Last edited:

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
I don't care if you change your minds or not :P Like I said I can get by perfectly well without a spam section. If somebody's trying to get you to change your mind then you tell them the reasons why the point they're trying to get across isn't going to accomplish that, even if it involves parroting stuff that was said in the past. It's common staff courtesy rly :3

Atticus

Kissed by Fire
Maybe it starts getting annoying once you guys keep creating the same threads over and over again when it's already been discussed about.
It actually hasn't been discussed until now.

Discussing something over and over again when we've all been through it before is pretty pointless.
I don't just want to talk about it with you... if I wanted to do that, I'd use the PM system. I want to get everyone's concensus on the matter, mods, chat thread posters, FF posters, everyone. If it turns out there's only two of us that want a spam section, then fine, I'll shed a tear and move along. But if there's more to it, then I want to know.

Atticus

Kissed by Fire
It's been discussed about.

No it hasn't. I've been through every post about it in the history of this forum and no... it hasn't. The same thing happens. Someone requests a spam section, then either MAKO or MOG says, 'its been discussed before' and closes the thread.

WHERE was it discussed the first time? In the Staff section before the forum was even opened?

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Guess you missed where Yop, Dacon, Cookie Monster and other mods have said repeatedly there won't be one and we aren't having one. And it's been discussed why and we state the reason.

Guess you haven't searched too well :monster:

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Meh, I think he's asking for a link since he wasn't able to find it :monster:

Atticus

Kissed by Fire
What the heck is so great about a spam section, anyway? Really, I am curious. O_O

Have you ever posted in one? A good one?

Guess you missed where Yop, Dacon, Cookie Monster and other mods have said repeatedly there won't be one and we aren't having one. And it's been discussed why and we state the reason.

Guess our definition of the word discuss is a bit different. Mods saying 'its already been discussed. there won't be a spam section. closed' is not a discussion. Its a mod saying something and then closing a thread.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
The community here has discussed it before, and it seems like it's only the same handful of people who want it.

Atticus

Kissed by Fire
Agreed, I'm curious as well. :no:

Its like... its like... a green pasture... a blank canvas full of potential before the first stroke.

The community here has discussed it before, and it seems like it's only the same handful of people who want it.
no they haven't. Stop making stuff up.

Last edited:

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
The best spam sections can bring together a level of bonding that other forums on the don't really manage. It's hard to explain unless you've participated in one, but basically, imagine the Chit Chat thread, except to about ten times the extent. While visitor messages and such can somewhat replicate the experience to a lesser extent, there's something about being able to rant about your shit day to everyone in a forum where no one has to say anything on-topic that just can't really be duplicated in other settings.

That said, I can see why people don't want TLS to be associated with something like ACF's spam section; it would come across as intimidating to newcomers. I think it's possible to run a forum with a section like that and still not have any of it spill over to the rest of the board, but for the most part that didn't happen on ACF because for the most part the staff there were incompetent. The staff here are quite a bit more competent, but they also don't want a spam section which makes it harder :wackymonster:

really though, I don't see what harm a section for off-topic posting with otherwise the same rules as the rest of the forum could do to the activity here. If someone acts like a cunt in said section, they'd get b& just as they would in the rest of the forum. It's worth noting as well that much as we try to keep Compilation activity going, at some point there won't be any new material and we'll need something to tide us over. This is already actually happening to a certain extent; it's worth pointing out that General Discussion already contains something like 40% of posts, which I think last week was less. This may just be due to a surge in FF activity the week ACC was released, but idk.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
I

no they haven't. Stop making stuff up.

Yes they have, you weren't here for it. Just because you didn't see it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

I'm not making anything up.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
you should probably poast a link to said discussions so people stop claiming it hasn't been discussed :monster:

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
I'll look.
I remember us going through this before.

Hell we did it in one of your older threads Atticus.

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis
Have you ever posted in one? A good one?

Hm, I haven't... but thanks for the explanation, V. I think I'm pretty content with how the Forum is without one. I just want to know why some people are so desperate to have one. What's wrong with the Chit Chat thread? I thought people already ranted about their shit days and posted random crap there as it is.

Megatron

tits or gtfo
AKA
Moo, Meuterei, Destroyer of Worlds
Another factor that most don't usually consider is that in a community setting, people aren't always going to talk about something within a specific topic. IRL or otherwise. Conversations branch off and twist around, etc. That's actually a big part of how people get to know each other. Without some sort of community outlet, there quite simply won't be much of a community.

The chit-chat thread is a decent idea, but in this idiom it is comparable to being in a small room with over a hundred people, all trying to have a conversation at once. At 20+ pages a day (usually much more) it's white noise unless you sit there and hammer F5.

EDIT: Fuck, that was in response to Aaron's post waaaaay up on the page, talk about a 30-crosspost pileup.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Yeah, one big problem with the chit chat thread is that it's difficult to keep conversations about multiple topics going at the same time, so if one person wants to post lolcat pictures and another person wants to talk about tits then they're working at cross-purposes. It also means it's harder for people to find posts they really want to read since the thread isn't really sorted by subject.

Atticus

Kissed by Fire
dacon, you closed that thread before more than 7 people could vote and post...

nii-chan, that thread, I've read before and it is mostly a thread about M.O.G. and not spam. Spam is better than that and deserves its own actual discussion thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom