• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Spam discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megatron

tits or gtfo
AKA
Moo, Meuterei, Destroyer of Worlds
@Mako (although more specifically whoever owns the board) :

Well, since it's your sandbox, and you want it to be seen that way, then "there won't be one because we say so" is fine for an explanation. Ownership has its privileges. However, don't expect people to be happy about it, especially since you've given no other reason.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Well Yop's Cthulhu but I'm Dagon.

Meaning I'm not The Great Olde One but still quite high up there with me donating and shit and also managing the content here and all.

So stfu :monster:

And Megatron, eventually it *does* come down to our reasoning being "because we said so" no matter how many words, explanations and opinions we put forth. So that really is just stating the obvious. The fact we don't agree and you don't accept our reasoning is proof of that. There is nothing we can say or do that will make the people who want a spam section happy because we are of the opinion of not having one. Clearly our reasoning and past discourse on it isn't enough.

Last edited:

A

Great Old One
I'm pretty sure Chtulhu has released a statement about not wanting spam here. I think.

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man
Fuck it. I'll just show this offer to yop and see how he can deal with it without compromise. Everyone has a short fuse these days.

Atticus

Kissed by Fire
Well, since it's your sandbox, and you want it to be seen that way, then "there won't be one because we say so" is fine for an explanation. Ownership has its privileges. However, don't expect people to be happy about it, especially since you've given no other reason.

QFJ.

oh no. admins calling their mods fags... what's this about?

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man
But it isn't like last time! I promise you! Emperor Jokeropolis won't be the next Rapture of the internet!

Atticus

Kissed by Fire
So now that MAKO has expressed his rather high opinions.

What's good or not good about an off-topic forum? I'd like to off-topic with V. that's a plus. definite plus.

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
Well you guys can talk all you want, if yop doesn't change his mind situation remains the same.

I personally don't see the benefit, when we've got GC, chit chat and all that crap.

Perhaps being a little more lenient on spam in gc might help.

Yeah I think all of today's drama might have been averted if staff hadn't gone with a zero-tolerance approach to spam today. Well, most of it anyway, I'm not sure the spoiler tags thing would've been :monster:

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Yeah, because repeating the same things we've said 4 times before in the past will really make it stick this time.

I don't understand what you expect to be said dude. It's not happening and hiding behind the fact we cba to say it all again when we've said it 4 damn times now isn't helping your case. At all.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
Oh for christ sake shut the hell up aaron.

People don't even like you.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Yeah, because repeating the same things we've said 4 times before in the past will really make it stick this time.
Well the thing is I've responded to a lot of those arguments and haven't really received any particular response other than that you disagree.

That's your opinion of it, but clearly X, Yop, and I don't feel that way, especially going by past history and shit.

We've already compromised and given users the Chit Chat thread to post and spam up. We seriously don't need or want an entire section devoted to it. Period. I don't know how else to explain it without just cunt pasting Yop, or my own thoughts on it again.
There are several reasons why simply limiting things to one thread is problematic. The thread becomes impossible to follow for anyone who doesn't want to devote upwards of an hour a day to keeping up with it, no one responds to anything that isn't the current topic of discussion so it's hard to keep a conversation going for particularly long, you can't find the stuff that interests you quickly because it's all stuck together in one long thread, the list goes on.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
It's a subjective point and opinion. We feel it'll distract from the focus of the site, drain resources, and we have chosen to be more lax with General Chat and the Chit Chat thread. There's nothing else to say about it, Aaron. Furthermore, we don't want it to descend into what the ACF spam forum was, distract the forums, and start cliquish behavior and shit. You can say "it'll be different" and all that, but we've already decided "no, we'll do this instead." So it's a moot point.

And well that's just the nature of the concession. We've already chosen that solution and while it's not perfect it'll do for our forum since we don't feel the pros of a spam forum warrant its cons.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
Well I like many other survive in the chit chat thread.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
The Chit Chat thread probably has more in common with the suggestion for a shout box tbh. And nobody really pays attention to whats being said in those unless it's 2 or 3 people in there, any more than that and conversation comes notoriously tricky to keep track of.

Atticus

Kissed by Fire
There are several reasons why simply limiting things to one thread is problematic. The thread becomes impossible to follow for anyone who doesn't want to devote upwards of an hour a day to keeping up with it, no one responds to anything that isn't the current topic of discussion so it's hard to keep a conversation going for particularly long, you can't find the stuff that interests you quickly because it's all stuck together in one long thread, the list goes on.
this. The general chat thread isn't doing it. The chat ends up being nothing more than 'how was your day' and then that gets repeated a hundred times throughout the day. Nothing really much deeper evolves simply because you can't keep track of what's going on in it.

IF there were an off-topic section, that and much more could come of it.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Sprite, the GC isn't doing it for you. Don't try to make this out like this is a wide, user base problem.

Everyone else seems just fine without a spam section, aside from the ACF oldies who've now registered here and expect it to be just like the old days.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
It's a subjective point and opinion. We feel it'll distract from the focus of the site, drain resources, and we have chosen to be more lax with General Chat and the Chit Chat thread. There's nothing else to say about it, Aaron. Furthermore, we don't want it to descend into what the ACF spam forum was, distract the forums, and start cliquish behavior. You can say "it'll be different" and all that, but we've already decided "no, we'll do this instead." So it's a moot point.

And well that's just the nature of the concession. We've already chosen that solution and while it's not perfect it'll do for our forum since we don't feel the pros of a spam forum warrant its cons.

The point is that closing Scott's thread today wasn't being lax in GC. While I think an off-topic section would probably work better, simply allowing a set number of "fun" off-topic threads in GC could probably also work as well. The impression people were getting was that there'd be no tolerance for threads like that at all, which is the reason such an outcry erupted today.

I don't really care whether an off-topic section is made or staff simply decide to allow a certain number of off-topic threads, but the no-tolerance "no spam outside of Chit Chat" approach isn't going to work.

Everyone else seems just fine without a spam section, aside from the ACF oldies who've now registered here and expect it to be just like the old days.
No one expects it to be "just like the old days." for starters I think most people have acnkowledged that there won't be rampant flaming as there was in the past.

Atticus

Kissed by Fire
They just don't know what a better setup is like. I have to voice an opinion on their behalf. Its like a dog always getting dog food. They like it, because there's nothing else.

Mako Eyes, Mako Eyes... who hurt you so bad on ACF that you hold such a strong opinion of spam?

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
We're lax in GC but we've never allowed spam threads. That's never been the intention. And I've been closing threads like that since the forum opened up and we had a GC section so no. It's always been that way. And we're not allowing that. Just post make a thread with a reasonable topic at least and then post. We're not spam nazis but there's a limit.

And if certain posters don't expect it to be like the old days, they sure aren't showing it, asking for the same thing over and over again, flaming and trolling and shit. The actions sure don't show any indication of that. Furthermore, regardless, whether it'd be the same or not, that doesn't change the full argument and reasoning behind why we don't want one. We still think it'd be a needless distraction from the site and forums and an unnecessary drain on resources and shit, when GC and Chit Chat can serve the same purpose.

It is NOT a section or amenity that is required for this forum to function.

Cookie Monster

NOM NOM NOM
Tbh, I just care about what the majority thinks. Personally, I'm in favor of a spam section. But last I checked, the majority didn't want it. And seeing how some of them blew up about teams, I really doubt anyone will support the existence of a spam section, other than an infamous select few.

And clearly you guys have an issue with staff. In my opinion, they've been doing everything right. I just have an issue with them catching attitudes and cursing after every other word. Makes 'em look like they're acting off of their emotions. I already made a thread in Staff about that, btw. I guess they're just annoyed it keeps coming up, which is to be expected. But, they really need to be professional about it.

Finally, I understand that some of you guys simply want to "discuss" it. But Yop has said many times he doesn't want a spam section. He simply doesn't want to take the chance. So, I really don't see a valid reason to discuss it, until he says otherwise. It's Yop we're talking about, it's not like you guys are going to tell him something about spam he doesn't already know.

Atticus

Kissed by Fire
Just wondering Sprite, but why do you want a spam section here so badly?

Well... its like this. A good off-topic forum is the best place to just relax. You can post what you want. If the mods are doing a good job, you can post what you want without being outright flamed for it by a clique as everyone here is afraid of.

Now there are plenty of other off-topic forums on the interwebz so why would I not just go join one of those? Well... I know people here. History with them since years back. Why move?

flaming and trolling and shit.
Now who's flaming and trolling here?

I really don't see a valid reason to discuss it
Out of curiosity's sake of what other members think about the issue?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom