• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Speedruns thread

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
Bunnyhopping at its best :monster:

Bhopping in FPS games that allow it is a form of movement that utilizes strafing, crouching and turning the camera at precise times and motions to move the player character faster then the game original intended.

In the video I showed this player is not using any sort of fly or speed hacks and base movement is only as fast as in Counter Strike : Source.

So he's utilizing bhop to maneuver around this custom map at extreme speed. It's pretty crazy considering how many pit falls and short ledges that he has to crouch under that map has. This is pretty much a flawless run.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I know what bunny hopping is, I actually played some of those levels in Unreal Tournament back when, :monster:. Strafing against a sharp edge would give you a huge boost and stuff like that. Fun times, :monster:

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe

Nothing to special just an old shovelknight speed run on at agdq. The devs were present and watching the run along side the couch panel though which made for some cool banter.

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
Some masochist actually did a live speedrun of Super Mario 74 Extreme Edition. It took nine hours. I haven't watched much of it yet, but here it is:

Fangu

Great Old One
Some masochist actually did a live speedrun of Super Mario 74 Extreme Edition. It took nine hours.
tbf most attempts at speedrunning FFX or FFXII normally takes between seven and eleven hours. In FFXII there's like three places you get a 20-30 second break. People are wonderfully insane :joy:

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
This is true, but neither of those games are anywhere near as difficult as SM74EE. This runner (FramePerfection) is apparently one of only two people ever to complete the game without save states. The other one (fritfrat)'s playthroughs can be seen here.

Also, I compiled lists of where all the successful playthroughs of each level in FramePerfection's run start and end here while I was watching the run, because there are a lot of deaths.

Oh, and here's an even more ridiculously hard hack called Star Revenge: Night of Doom (also by fritfrat). The run took over seventeen hours and it doesn't even complete every stage. I assume this one wasn't done in one sitting, but I dunno.

Fritfrat has also done a 100% walkthrough of the whole game here.

Fangu

Great Old One
Final Fantasy XII is known for being difficult to speedrun though. sk84uhlivin attempted 100 times for 2 finished runs. AGDQ doesn't want to take in the game due to it's instability.

Probably not as difficult. But still difficult.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I completely missed SGDQ this year. I must have been away when it was going on. The game line-up looks a bit disappointing; loads of Nintendo stuff, which isn't really my thing - although I enjoy watching them every now and then, I prefer seeing games that I've played myself, and I've been predominantly a Playstation player since I was a kid. There were no Final Fantasy games (they were shifted to an event called RPG Limit Break, which was fun, just really low-key compared to A/SGDQ), just another 100% Chrono Trigger run (there was one quite recently). Still, the Super Mario 64 race looks pretty awesome, the Super Metroid race had completely different strats from the last time it was run, and it was great to see a Sands of Time run where everything went wrong but the runner stayed super-positive and got loads of donations as a result.

Apparently there was a Crash 2 run that turned into a total clusterfuck because of a runner making really inappropriate jokes about such light-hearted topics as suicide and domestic abuse. I'm disappointed, since the game is one of my all-time favourites and probably won't be brought back for a while now. The video has been removed from Youtube already but I'm going to try to find it somewhere.

Edit: I guess this is it.

Last edited:

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
Some masochist actually did a live speedrun of Super Mario 74 Extreme Edition. It took nine hours.
tbf most attempts at speedrunning FFX or FFXII normally takes between seven and eleven hours. In FFXII there's like three places you get a 20-30 second break. People are wonderfully insane :joy:

Was going through this thread to look for a run and saw this post.

Thought I would post the longest speedrun game/category there is only 1 person does it (and he's going for PB really soon actually).

Heres the 347hr Baten Kaitos run

https://www.reddit.com/r/speedrun/comments/30wwpu/wr_baten_kaitos_100_in_3475234/

Less extreme runs (yet still extreme lol) are the Pokemon Stadium single segment runs which generally run for 24 hours and has sleep time configured into the split

and the 100% FFX Nemsis category which IIRC is something like 19 hours.

People are indeed insane :reptar:

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Since I agreed to play Final Fantasy IV for the retrospective podcast but the Final Fantasy V community playthrough is just getting started, I thought I'd better get IV out of the way quickly. So I'm doing a "semi-blind speed run", streaming here, Google Hangout if you want to join me for some commentary here. I'll be starting shortly.

I'm calling the run semi-blind because I've played (and completed) the DS version before. Disclaimer: I'm not a competitive speed runner. :monster:

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Oh man, having to fight the Calcas / Brinas / Calcabrina and Golbez one after the other is tough on a low level game. Both bosses took me a couple of attempts. Thankfully, when I managed to beat the Calcas and Brinas before they merged into Calcabrina, I was able to beat Golbez as well. It would have been a shame to let such an excellent battle go to waste. :monster:

I'm taking a break now for some food (and rest) and I'll be resuming later. I'm about half-way through the game and I've already played for longer than a proper speed run would take, so I guess I'm about half-way there. In-game time 3:07, real-time I haven't been tracking but it's probably about four hours.

Edit: playing again, just beat Rubicante.

Last edited:

Lex

Administrator
Me and Joe have mentioned to each other a few times how impressive these runs are - I missed this one last year but I just came across it on YouTube:

Definitely some of the more technically impressive runs are of this game. I think it'll look less impressive if you've never played it, because the game is ridiculously hard IMO. I played it once when I was like 12 on a friend's Gamecube and had to give up due to frustration. 90% of the time it's actually running out of time in later levels XD.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
Me and Joe have mentioned to each other a few times how impressive these runs are - I missed this one last year but I just came across it on YouTube:

Definitely some of the more technically impressive runs are of this game. I think it'll look less impressive if you've never played it, because the game is ridiculously hard IMO. I played it once when I was like 12 on a friend's Gamecube and had to give up due to frustration. 90% of the time it's actually running out of time in later levels XD.

I watched this one live. I never really looked into the scene for SMB prior to that run so it was a pleasant surprise to see how mechanically intense it turned out to be.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
AGDQ 2017 just started. :joy:

Sadly there's only one Final Fantasy game on the schedule this year – the original – but there's lots of other stuff to look forward to. As usual, they're raising money for the Prevent Cancer Foundation.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
– but there's lots of other stuff to look forward to.

Honestly I don't feel like there is this year... schedule is kinda "meh" compared to other years... ofc that might just be because this is the first time in 3 years I didn't attend in person. :'(

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
– but there's lots of other stuff to look forward to.

Honestly I don't feel like there is this year... schedule is kinda "meh" compared to other years... ofc that might just be because this is the first time in 3 years I didn't attend in person. :'(
I'm looking forward to Crash 2 and CTR – my two favourite Crash games – as well as some of the usual games like Pokémon, Tetris, and various Mario games. The Super Metroid race is always brilliant as well. But it does seem like they've tried to mix up the game selection a bit this time after having lots of repeats in previous years.

I don't recognize any names on the Runners list. Pout.
Let's see, I recognise... SpikeVegeta, DoDeChehedron, PangaeaPanga, Vulajin, authorblues, Brossentia, grandpoobear and zoast. Granted, half of them are Mario runners.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
I don't recognize any names on the Runners list. Pout.

edit: lol for some reason when I read this I took it as you basically saying you don't see any big names, old guard etc. On the list sorry if I misunderstood l ol.

I know some people who are in the "community" not big names but they have been going to the GDQ's every year and know some runners quite well.

From what I understand the problem is two fold.

A lot of big runners simply don't want to go on the main room partly because the main room staff/organizers are hella strict. Understandably so as they do have to be family friendly to maintain the charity deal with PCF/ Doctors without borders (they will refuse to take the money if GDQ gets a bad rep).

The other part is the GDQ off screen culture is frankly more "fun" then being in the main room. Bunch of young 20 somethings, some possibly going out for the first time without a chaperone to a big hotel party with booze , friends and the opposite sex? Yeah I wouldn't want to be spending my time away from the party that's happening off camera either lol.

The other part is several runners are either black listed or have been banned in an unwritten sense. Going back to the main room staff has to be really strict to maintain the status quo with the Charity Organizations thing. Several have been banned just for being over the top. Bonesaw being the most recent person to be banned comes to mind.

Heck they don't even want Cosmo around anymore because they think he will make the whole thing look bad these days just because all of a sudden that really good OoT/Windwaker Speedrunner guy... is a chick now. (Though admittedly due to some complications with the transition Cosmo/Narcissa is a completely different person now and apparently hates everything about video games).

Others don't go back due to drama. Chibitofu, Sam and Tolki, the list goes on. Basically shit goes down at the aforementioned party behind the scenes and people get too embarrassed to return lol.

I have something of a difficult question to ask regarding AGDQ by the way.

How do you guys feel regarding such a great event and opportunity to raise money and awareness around a cause going to a frankly , questionable at best charity like the PCF?

Last edited:
Top Bottom