SPOILERS Split from "Hopes for the remake (story/content)"

Rydeen

In-KWEH-dible
Games in that era just felt very formulaic to me. Lackluster writing, gameplay, and 50,000 shades of grey pixels. Maybe there is a selection bias at play here, but I theorize that the recession made the entertainment industry very careful and boring during this time. And often grimdark/‘edgy’ to a nauseating extent.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
I thought that was the best era of Pokemon!

I get what you mean though because I have trouble picking anything else from the JRPG world that I actually... enjoyed. I think most of the stuff I was into during that time were action/+shooters.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Gackt cosplaying and owning the rights of a fictional character's face because S-E used his face, is clown shit.
Assuming that even is the case, if they wanted to use the character again, that's nothing that couldn't be fixed with the ol' facial scarring plot device. Or just slightly altering his features to make him look like a different-yet-non-referential generic pretty boy.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
The only games that spring to mind from 2007-2013 are the Mass Effect trilogy and Skyrim, two of my all-time favorite game experiences — including tabletop gaming. Other notable games were Braid, which is what I got Steam for and is arguably the beginning of retro-indie, Portal, Arkham City, and the XCOM reboot.

Ite

AKA
Ite
For me the golden era was (of course) the one when FF7 was released. The window of about 1995-2001 gave us some real gold. Chrono Trigger, FFVII - FFX, Metal Gear Solid and MGS2, Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, Baldur's Gate 2, etc.

Don’t forget Starcraft, Daggerfall, Quake, Tomb Raider, the Command & Conquer series, every year feels like an era of its own. It was amazing to see experimental pixel fun come of age into its own artistic medium. It was like the video game equivalent to cinema in the 30s.

Thinking about FF doesn’t make me nostalgic, but man looking at other games of the era sure does.

Rydeen

In-KWEH-dible
For me the golden era was (of course) the one when FF7 was released. The window of about 1995-2001 gave us some real gold. Chrono Trigger, FFVII - FFX, Metal Gear Solid and MGS2, Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, Baldur's Gate 2, etc.

I totally agree. I do think the current era of gaming is quite good (2014-now), but 95-01 was somethin' else. The in-between had a lot of growing pains imho. In modern times, I'm all about the indie game scene.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Or just slightly altering his features to make him look like a different-yet-non-referential generic pretty boy.

Right, and changing a character's face is pretty common these days, especially when transitioning to a new game engine. Heck, Peter Parker is getting a new face in the PS5 version of Marvel's Spiderman just to better match his voice actor.

The only games that spring to mind from 2007-2013 are the Mass Effect trilogy and Skyrim, two of my all-time favorite game experiences — including tabletop gaming. Other notable games were Braid, which is what I got Steam for and is arguably the beginning of retro-indie, Portal, Arkham City, and the XCOM reboot.

Burnout Paradise and Dissidia are the only notable games for me from that era. Overall it was not the best of times. I'd say the current gen, however, has been amazing. PS4? More like PS2x2, considering all the great games lol. I keep having to re-do my top 10 list. Though I still feel like JRPGs have yet to reclaim their former glory.

Ite

AKA
Ite
Though I still feel like JRPGs have yet to reclaim their former glory.
I play almost zero jrpgs (that aren’t FF) but I’m on-and-off charmed by Octopath Traveler. Off, because 50 hours in and it still has zero story but ON because the combat is incredible, particularly the bosses. The minute I start to master a new mechanic (for instance, the secondary job mechanics) they introduce another tactical element (in my case it was “divine skills”) that further informs my decision-making during battles. I also think the game is cute-looking :3

Roundhouse

Pro Adventurer
Is this the spoiler version of hopes for the remake? If so, could we rename it to Hopes for Part 2 and Onward [Spoilers] or whatever?

My hopes are:

- P2 covers up to Nibelheim.
- Genesis returns and has a significant role.
- Zack has a substantial role, whether it be in the same timeline or whatever weird scenario is going on..
- In later parts, we get a more dramatic version of the Hojo and Vincent reunion when the party goes back to Midgar.....but keep the 'I was wrong. The one who should have slept...was you, Hojo!' bit.
- We get more Zangan material! He seems awesome.
- You can change party member outfits.

Roundhouse

Pro Adventurer
I really hope Strangers of Paradise has an influence on part two...the scenes I've seen in that game are great and would elevate remake.

Top Bottom