Spoiler: Dissidia Ending

Isabella

Your Mom
Crotch action? Is that what we're calling it these days?

Looks beautiful. But Cloud's roots are showing. Time to carve out some "me" time and go to the salon, Cloud.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
[quote author=Isabella link=topic=155.msg2731#msg2731 date=1229640166]
Looks beautiful. But almost Cloud's roots are showing.
[/quote]

Well, to be fair, so are Tidus', but he always had his roots showing. But they're not as bad as Cloud's nearly-black hair.

Graphics are pretty, but alot of the faces look very similar. Then again, this is FF, that's to be expected.

Isabella

Your Mom
Well, to be fair, so are Tidus', but he always had his roots showing.
Exactly. Tidus was always a sucker for the roots fad, but Cloud's always been pretty good at keeping up with his salon appointments. Even when he was floating in mako. :duhard:

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Holy fucking hell, that's an epic ending.

I love how..they all each hold a piece of their world's crystal and then go back home with it... They all seem to wish to return back to their world, which is understandable.

And the ironic thing is...they all were warped to the world of FF1 after the defeat of Chaos...and...apparently Warrior of Light is going to now have his FF1 adventure. Wow. Talk about cyclical.

Isabella

Your Mom
But I'm still unclear where each of them is in terms of their own story. Were they all plucked from the end of their story or the beginning?

Schala-Kitty

Pro Adventurer
I think this is where I have to use a suggestion from the staff, "Nod and smile." Sometimes, the niggling little questions don't matter when it's so poetically perfect. The end is the beginning and the fantasy is never final...

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
[quote author=Isabella link=topic=155.msg2737#msg2737 date=1229641689]
But I'm still unclear where each of them is in terms of their own story. Were they all plucked from the end of their story or the beginning?
[/quote]

I think we have to play each character to see, but it seems most come after the end of their respective FF, like Squall, Tidus, Terra, and Cloud.

But this ending kinda shows Warrior of Light is an exception. In fact, it seems that the start of FF1 happens RIGHT AFTER Dissidia. However, FF1 is tricky because the entire story is one big timeloop. It's apparent Warrior of Light and Garland KNOW each other in Dissidia, so apparently they've fought..but its before the story of FF1 which shows how the Warriors of Light actually BREAK the timeloop.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
Depends, I think. Cloud can't be from the end of his story, since he's in FF7 gear in the ending, and holding Buster.

Also, Tina can go Esper, which she lost at the end of FF6, natch.

I think they're plucked from the middle of their stories, generally.
With the exception of Warrior of Light, who is either at the end of his story, or just beginning it.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Honestly, I don't think the appearances are really indicative of much regarding where or when they come from. Furthermore, Cloud also has his AC outfit as well, and we really don't know when Cloud decided to stop wearing the SOLDIER 1st Class outfit after FFVII.

Also, Terra's ability to go Esper again is part of the plot regarding her story. She's trying to regain control of her power after having been unable to use it for awhile. She's unfamiliar with it after not having it for awhile.

When they were "called" to this fight, Cosmos may have just put them in outfits that represented who they were when they were at their respective moment in their story.

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
Well, he's holding Buster and wearing the FF7 outfit in the official art and in the ending, so I think that's the 'canonical' outfit, like blonde Tina.

Really, it's Buster, not the clothes, that make me think he's from pre-AC, or rather, somewhere along the plot of FF7.

Same with Tina and the Esper Powers.

Tidus- assuming their 'default' weapons are any indication, Tidus must have at least hit Besaid before coming to Dissidia's world.

Cecil, by default, must come from the last bits of FFIV or beyond, since he doesn't know Golbez is his brother before then.

Butz could be from any time during his game, as could Onion, Fririonel, Squall, Zidane, etc.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
Or it could be just a videogame :(

No no no, I'm not trying to be a party pooper, for realz! But, Square may not have put that much thought into it. Or, Ryu may be correct.
Honestly, I don't think the appearances are really indicative of much regarding where or when they come from. Furthermore, Cloud also has his AC outfit as well, and we really don't know when Cloud decided to stop wearing the SOLDIER 1st Class outfit after FFVII.

Also, Terra's ability to go Esper again is part of the plot regarding her story. She's trying to regain control of her power after having been unable to use it for awhile. She's unfamiliar with it after not having it for awhile.

Yeah but still, considering that Terra absolutely cannot use her Esper powers at the end of FF6, if there IS a set point in time that the character are based off of (instead of just 'lets make everyone fight' (which is the explanation I'm betting on, personally)), that has to hold true for everyone else.

Graphics are pretty, but alot of the faces look very similar.

If you ask me, Square needs to work on this. I've noticed this for years and it irritates me to no end.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
But Cloud also has the Ultima Weapon and we really don't know when he actually changed his outfit or decided to use the Buster Sword as a memorial for Zack. All we know is that it happened during that two year gap between FFVII and AC.

Terra also gets control of her Esper powers during the FFVI adventure, especially when the world becomes ruined thanks to the imbalance caused by the Warring Triad and Kefka. The only time she lost "control" of her powers was when she went nuts and ran off. So if she's claiming she hasn't used her powers in a long time and needs to get used to them, then it looks like it'd be after the ending of FFVI when magic disappeared from the world.

Squall seems to be at least from the near end of FFVIII's story since he actually *knows* who Ultimecia is. :monster:

@ The Notorious M.O.G.

Terra apparently can use her Esper powers in the world of Dissida, and that's the shock. She's not used to having her powers again, and like muscles she's never used in awhile, she's trying to gain control over them again.

Schala-Kitty

Pro Adventurer
Firion and the Emperor are more than likely pulled from the time between the rise of Pandemonium and the Emperor's final fall.

Cecil and Golbez are most likely from between Zemus' defeat and Cecil's coronation.

But actually, I don't want any plot spoilers. My copy was just shipped today and I'm trying to avoid those.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Another point is that, the villains also seems to "match" the point in time where the warriors of Cosmos come from. Since Kefka can assume his whole "Angel of Death" state which he achieved during the final confrontation of FFVI, I'm really inclined to believe that Kefka hasn't been pulled during the middle of his game either. He comes from the end.

And Sephiroth doesn't assume the legless, multi-winged angel form he "evolved" into at the end of FFVII. Instead, he's how he was during the final battle of AC with the one black wing, and when his EX-Mode is achieved it states he's gone into his "Reunion" form, which is what happened in AC when Kadaj finally had his "Reunion" with the "head" of Jenova.

Oh, and Cloud can apparently perform Omnislash Ver. 5 which is a post FFVII move, from AC. He never even had that skill in his repertoire during FFVII.

Oh, and Ultimecia junctions herself to Griever when she goes into EX-Mode. She only knew of "Griever" when she peeked into Squall's mind during the final battle and made Squall's conception of the "Ultimate GF" real and created "The Griever." So I'm doubtful she's from the middle of FFVIII as well.

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
I don't mean the literal middle of the adventure, just not sometime before the beginning or after the end of it, thought that might not hold true for Tina.

And Mako, he has Ultima in battle, but I don't think he uses anything but buster in the 'story' bit.

But yes, let us not go at each other's throats. Let us wait til we have seen the game and plot proper, and can make more informed judgements, then go at each other

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
It's not going at each other's throats, it's a dicussion, and I think it's fun :monster: There's no hard feelings or anything.

I really don't think there's any real validity to the whole "Battle vs Story" bit though, especially here in Dissidia, which complies and integrates every aspect of all the characters, especially their unique weapons. The intent is too specific to ignore, and Dissidia is one big battle. He still has the Ultima Weapon and it's his weapon from FFVII. Just like if you use the First Tsurugi from AC, in Cloud's EX-Mode it changes its form and becomes "complete" with all the swords. The fact he even has Omnislash Ver. 5 means he's obviously coming from the FFVII Universe post FFVII.

But I'm thinking we'll only know for sure given how each of them speak and how they are in their own storyline. But there are certain clues that can be garnered from the information so far, like the whole Terra bit.

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
[quote author=Makoeyes987 link=topic=155.msg2752#msg2752 date=1229645459]
It's not going at each other's throats, it's a dicussion, and I think it's fun :monster: There's no hard feelings or anything.[/quote]

Mayhaps I should employ a facetious tag...
But no, I just meant let's not get ahead of ourselves. We no almost nothing, so we can determine very little. We need more information from which to form an accurate conclusion.

I really don't think there's any real validity to the whole "Battle vs Story" bit though, especially here in Dissidia, which complies and integrates every aspect of all the characters, especially their unique weapons. The intent is too specific to ignore, and Dissidia is one big battle. He still has the Ultima Weapon and it's his weapon from FFVII. Just like if you use the First Tsurugi from AC, in Cloud's EX-Mode it changes its form and becomes "complete" with all the swords. The fact he even has Omnislash Ver. 5 means he's obviously coming from the FFVII Universe post FFVII.

Yeah, the question is where along in that timeline is he? Somewhere closer to AC, to FF7, to DC? Similarly, we have an absolute lower limit for Cecil's PoE, but no clue as to where after that he is.

Personally, I think if Cloud is feeling a depression, he's almost certainly Pre-AC Cloud.

But I'm thinking we'll only know for sure given how each of them speak and how they are in their own storyline. But there are certain clues that can be garnered from the information so far, like the whole Terra bit.

Indeed.

OneWingedDemon

NOT AMUSED
I think Square just put them in outfits that the public knows them best in. These guys don't think any deeper than they haev to, lazy mofos.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
[quote author=Ryushikaze link=topic=155.msg2758#msg2758 date=1229646884]
[quote author=Makoeyes987 link=topic=155.msg2752#msg2752 date=1229645459]
It's not going at each other's throats, it's a dicussion, and I think it's fun :monster: There's no hard feelings or anything.[/quote]

Mayhaps I should employ a facetious tag...
But no, I just meant let's not get ahead of ourselves. We no almost nothing, so we can determine very little. We need more information from which to form an accurate conclusion.[/quote]

Oh I see, you're right. But I'm just honestly addicted to talking about dorky things like this. I'm sure it'll be clearer with more information of course. I just want to see how close to the mark I am XD

Yeah, the question is where along in that timeline is he? Somewhere closer to AC, to FF7, to DC? Similarly, we have an absolute lower limit for Cecil's PoE, but no clue as to where after that he is.

Honestly, I think we won't really get a definite conclusive point in time as to where they're from. It'll be just like how you described, where along the timeline are they closest to. I definitely agree that for Cecil its easier since his story and tell-tale signs are more obvious. I think its probably at the end of FFIV and before "The After" since Golbez hasn't changed his appearance yet, and doesn't harbor the overwhelming hatred he did while under Zemus's control.

Personally, I think if Cloud is feeling a depression, he's almost certainly Pre-AC Cloud.

It's really not depression though. It's more of a sense of frustration, since now that he's fighting...Sephiroth is once again standing before him. He's not truly depressed like he was in AC.

But yeah, we will see :monster:

OneWingedDemon said:
I think Square just put them in outfits that the public knows them best in. These guys don't think any deeper than they haev to, lazy mofos.

Honestly, I get a little irritated at that line of thinking because it flies in the face of all of the effort they *have* put into making this game consistent with each source material story and the storyline which tries very hard to keep everyone in character. They obviously put some form of intent and effort into this, and they've stated as much. There's no harm in actually looking beyond the surface of a story and connecting the dots regarding its plot. That's what most Final Fantasies are all about, after all.

OneWingedDemon

NOT AMUSED
I'm not saying they put no effort into this or that there aren't little gems around to please the fans.
I'm saying outfits seem to me to be chosen based on whatever they were made popular in. They might have some sort of a pattern, but it is probably secondary to this. In a game like Dissidia, they are first and foremost icons, imo.

But I dunno yet. I might be completely wrong :monster: but I doubt it, for i am never wrong

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
*doesn't look at spoilers* I just want to know how you people can spoil yourselves like this. It totally ruins everything for me.

Isabella

Your Mom
It's really not a spoiler, though. No characters talk about what happened during the story. If there even is much of a story.

null.

Pro Adventurer
[quote author=Tennyo link=topic=155.msg2797#msg2797 date=1229666246]
*doesn't look at spoilers* I just want to know how you people can spoil yourselves like this. It totally ruins everything for me.
[/quote]

The first thing I do with any game is spoil myself rotten. That way if the game is mediocre, I can stop playing instead of chasing the proverbial carrot. Save myself a lot of time that way (see Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe.)

Top Bottom