• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

*Spoilers* How does saving work after beating the game?

Kyo Cobran

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Jim Kyo
Hey guys,

So I finally beat the game and I'm trying to go through my favorite parts but I had a question. I read the tutorials but I'm still a little confused.

So when you enter a chapter after beating the game, I understand you have all the stuff from your first play through. Now what happens when you *partially* play through a chapter and then leave to a new chapter? Do you lose all new progress in that chapter, and does it revert to the old first play through data or do you retain all your progress up until the point you decided to switch chapter?

Thanks

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
You need to complete a chapter for the story choices to take effect, but character progress and acquired equipment is not reset. For example, let's say you want another Prayer materia. You choose Chapter 14 from the Chapter Select and play until you get the Prayer materia from one of Corneo's caches. At that point, if you immediately select another chapter, you will keep the Prayer materia.

However, let's say you want Aerith's worst dress in Chapter 9, but you previously did all side quests in Chapter 8. You will need to finish Chapter 8 with no side quests completed for that change to be saved.

Last edited:

Kyo Cobran

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Jim Kyo
You need to complete a chapter for the story choices to take effect, but character progress and acquired equipment is not reset. For example, let's say you want another Prayer materia. You choose Chapter 14 from the Chapter Select and play until you get the Prayer materia from one of Corneo's caches. At that point, if you immediately select another chapter, you will keep the Prayer materia.

However, let's say you want Aerith's worse dress in Chapter 9, but you previously did all side quests in Chapter 8. You will need to finish Chapter 8 with no side quests completed for that change to be saved.

Oh, wow! This makes sense! So exp, ap, items are retained but not story altering elements.

Thanks this is really helpful!

Kyo Cobran

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Jim Kyo
Yes, that's correct. I defetaed Bahamut and received the trophy, but didn't complete the chapter, and so I didn't have the Bahamut materia when I loaded up another chapter.

Aw, well, shit. I think I'll just finish chapters completely then. Did you eventually get the materia by re-beating Bahamut and completing the chapter?

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Yes, that's correct. I defeated Bahamut and received the trophy, but didn't complete the chapter, and so I didn't have the Bahamut materia when I loaded up another chapter.

So I just checked and there's not a trophy for defeating Bahamut. And I'm sure you would've gotten Summon Slayer by beating any other summon first.

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/10660-final-fantasy-vii-remake

Do you mean the trophy for beating Top Secrets? Because defeating Bahamut there doesn't give you the Bahamut materia. You have to complete Chadley's VR challenge.

I'm positive all character progress and acquired equipment is kept even when selecting chapters.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
I have that trophy, but I didn't finish the chapter, so the Bahamut materia was not maintained when I jumped to another chapter.

The inconsistency here bothered me, so I booted up an old save file and investigated this for myself. I found that the Bahamut materia does in fact carry between chapters without having to complete the chapter you acquired the materia in.

Perhaps you encountered a bug. You're absolutely sure the Bahamut report is checked off in your Battle Intel?

So, I stand by my statement that character progress and acquired equipment/materia/items are all kept when using Chapter Selection, but story choices are not. Story choices require one to complete the chapter they are in.

Last edited:

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
As my video shows, I didn't complete the chapter I fought Bahamut in and I retained the Bahamut materia in the new chapter. I just checked and the Bahamut report in my Battle Intel menu is checked off in the new chapter as well. Again, I used Chapter Selection immediately after I fought Bahamut.

That fact that your Battle Intel is not checked off means that you probably forgot to save the game after you defeated Bahamut. Trophies are acquired as soon as you meet the their requirement and are not tied to your save file, so that's why you still have the trophy.

Last edited:

Kyo Cobran

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Jim Kyo
The inconsistency here bothered me, so I booted up an old save file and investigated this for myself. I found that the Bahamut materia does in fact carry between chapters without having to complete the chapter you acquired the materia in.

Perhaps you encountered a bug. You're absolutely sure the Bahamut report is checked off in your Battle Intel?

So, I stand by my statement that character progress and acquired equipment/materia/items are all kept when using Chapter Selection, but story choices are not. Story choices require one to complete the chapter they are in.

I can't say how much your video was elucidating. Thank you!

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Hmmm, give everyone some HP Plus materia. Having high HP does wonders for their survivability.

Rely on your party member's AI to dodge/block Bahamut's attacks. Bahamut will always target whoever the player is controlling. So when he readies an attack, switch to another party member. The AI is pretty good at taking care of themselves. All of Bahamut's attacks take a bit of time to execute, so you get the benefit of beating him down while he's occupied with the AI. You should be switching characters, like, every 5-10 seconds.

Unload all of your ATB on Bahamut when he does one of his countdowns. Hit him hard enough and he'll become pressured. Stagger him before he's able to countdown to Mega Flare and you'll reset the clock.

Last edited:

Kyo Cobran

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Jim Kyo
Hmmm, give everyone some HP Plus materia. Having high HP does wonders for their survivability.

Rely on your party member's AI to dodge/block Bahamut's attacks. Bahamut will always target whoever the player is controlling. So when he readies an attack, switch to another party member. The AI is pretty good at taking care of themselves. All of Bahamut's attacks take a bit of time to execute, so you get the benefit of beating him down while he's occupied with the AI. You should be switching characters, like, every 5-10 seconds.

Unload all of your ATB on Bahamut when he does one of his countdowns. Hit him hard enough and he'll become pressured. Stagger him before he's able to countdown to Mega Flare and you'll reset the clock.

To conclude this saga:

I beat Bahamut, finally. First of all, you're advice was spot on. Thank you. Secondly, saving worked exactly as you described for me. After creating numerous saves (so I wouldn't meet the same fate as @ForceStealer), I switched mid-chapter from Ch. 17 to Ch. 2 and fortunately my Bahamut materia has remained in my inventory. Yay!

D

Deleted member 13557

To conclude this saga:

I beat Bahamut, finally. First of all, you're advice was spot on. Thank you. Secondly, saving worked exactly as you described for me. After creating numerous saves (so I wouldn't meet the same fate as @ForceStealer), I switched mid-chapter from Ch. 17 to Ch. 2 and fortunately my Bahamut materia has remained in my inventory. Yay!
Very well done! Bahamut is quite the challenge.

Top Bottom