• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Square Enix Fails To Anticipate Final Fantasy VII Remake Demand

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer

And yes, I do believe that SquEx is theoretically capable of remaking VII so that it answers all questions and does not give rise to new ones. I don't believe the storywriters are too stupid to spend a few days or months ironing out the world, its characters, and its timeline before setting it down in concrete.
lol ok.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Isn't that already a good enough reason to want a remake? To have it fit in with the rest of the Compilation?

Wouldn't a Compilation that fits in with the first product to bear the "Final Fantasy VII" label have made more sense?

In any event, while the remake concept remains as retarded as ever, I'm more intrigued by the notion that this could be a sign SE is starting to figure out that the best way to identify what fans would like is by talking to them. I guess that finally happening is why the world will end in just two more years.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
What exactly are all these irreconcilable plot holes in the compilation? I hear it a lot, but what are they really? Last Order substantially changed some stuff, but that never really counted anyway, not anymore than Maiden.

I don't want a remake to "fit" better with the Compliation, it already fits. Short of making a passing reference to a previous AVALANCHE, which you could argue the original already did, I'm not sure what they'd change.
I'd want it for, yeah, the graphics. No, I'm not a graphics whore and no, I don't have any problems with the original, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be awesome to see my favorite game redone in beautiful graphics. For the billionth time, it is impossible for them to "ruin" the original unless the new disc causes your original copy to melt.

And people have been dressing up in drag to comedic affect for centuries, why would it suddenly be disturbing now?

Bluishorbs

Lv. 1 Adventurer
I'm all for a remake but that's possibly due to the fact that I never played the original PS1 version. :/

I still think it would be great to see it on PS3. :)

DLPB

Banned Flunky
AKA
Seifer Almasy, DanielReturns
What exactly are all these irreconcilable plot holes in the compilation? I hear it a lot, but what are they really? Last Order substantially changed some stuff, but that never really counted anyway, not anymore than Maiden.

I don't want a remake to "fit" better with the Compliation, it already fits. Short of making a passing reference to a previous AVALANCHE, which you could argue the original already did, I'm not sure what they'd change.
I'd want it for, yeah, the graphics. No, I'm not a graphics whore and no, I don't have any problems with the original, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be awesome to see my favorite game redone in beautiful graphics. For the billionth time, it is impossible for them to "ruin" the original unless the new disc causes your original copy to melt.

And people have been dressing up in drag to comedic affect for centuries, why would it suddenly be disturbing now?

Genesis even being in the game is the biggest one.

Bex

fresh to death
AKA
Bex
FF7 remake can go away.
Even if they call it a remake, it will never be FF7 again, and people will criticise it for this and that, the tone wouldn't work.

PLEASE SE just leave FF7 there. In that sacred place, behind that loving barrier we call nostalgia, the barrier that protects it from all criticisms and makes you a heathen if you speak a single word against it.

Raquelborn

"I slice your ass in 4."
AKA
Raq, Raquel.
My concern would be that they'd change some of the script so it was less vulgar and crude. Barrett and Cid's swearing needs to stay there but how they'd recreate it with voice overs without feeling they should completely cut it out I don't know. (Though they could easily have them swear while not in cut scenes, but when spoken to.)

Little things like that mounting up would eventually ruin the tone and nostalgia of it for me.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
I agree that a remake would fit in better with the Compilation. Considering the Genesis War, the original AVALANCHE, and the Wutai War are now retconned to be major events in the FFVII universe, and in the original game only ONE of these events are referenced, barely at that, it seems really silly to play the original with that in mind.

"Yeah guys remember when Junon was taken over and destroyed by a terrorist group numbering in the thousands? LOL NO LET'S JUST SWEEP IT UNDER THE RUG"

"Hey guys remember when one of the most famous figures in the world vanished and there was a big war that was comprised entirely of dudes who looked exactly like him? LOL NO LET'S NEVER TALK ABOUT IT"

"Hey guys remember when we had that big world war and almost everyone fought in it? NO NOT ME"

And yes, the graphics. I want to see FFVII in updated graphics. Sue me.

Last edited:

Pixel

The Pixie King
I'd imagine every bit of the script would be voiced. If they're doing it, they should do it right.

My guess is its already in production, or at least in the planning stages.

I personally would love it. There isnt a need to change things, since alot of the crisis core stuff only exists in clouded memories, and covered up by Shinra.

Only thing im concerned about is game mechanics, like materia, and how they'll do the environments. Crisis core was quite minimal, so environments looked a bit crap, so places like outside the church were underwhelming.

Thats another thing, if things arent perfect, it wouldnt be worth it. And its hard to have everything perfect in something this size.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
There isnt a need to change things, since alot of the crisis core stuff only exists in clouded memories, and covered up by Shinra.

See, that's the thing. To go through all the trouble of creative a remake and not having referencing the previous events of the Compilation just seems irresponsible.

"YEP ALL THOSE DEAD BODIES ON THE STREETS OF JUNON (TWICE, IT HAPPENED TWICE IN TWO DIFFERENT TIMES WITH TWO DIFFERENT GROUPS OF PEOPLE IN TWO ENTIRELY DIFFERENT CIRCUMSTANCES) NOBODY REMEMBERS THAT NO SIR"

Pixel

The Pixie King
Well, I live in belfast, where just 20 of 30 years ago, everything was going mental, but not everyone is going around reminiscing about the bombs and killings. :P

Some reference would be awesome, but it shouldnt take centre stage

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
Sure, yeah. I'm just saying it should be worked into the setting/narrative somehow. Not that I want the entire game to be about 'The Memories of Genesis' and whatnot.

but not everyone is going around reminiscing about the bombs and killings.

Try living in America. People are still talking about 9/11. Major events do, and should have some sort of noticeable impact on a world and society. I think Mass Effect 2 handled it well by referencing previous events in that setting (which you may or may not have been directly involved with, depending on your choices) through newscasts, people you meet, things you can read, and stuff like that. Even things that happened centuries ago, like the Krogan Rebellions, still have a very thick air in some parts of the game.

Pixel

The Pixie King
I think thas the best thing a remake can offer, an emersive world where you can explore and find things like newscasts, books etc... or maybe museums

Glaurung

Forgot the cutesy in my other pants. Sorry.
AKA
Mama Dragon
FF7 remake can go away.
Even if they call it a remake, it will never be FF7 again, and people will criticise it for this and that, the tone wouldn't work.

PLEASE SE just leave FF7 there. In that sacred place, behind that loving barrier we call nostalgia, the barrier that protects it from all criticisms and makes you a heathen if you speak a single word against it.

I hear you there about the criticism. You can't please everybody, so people will be always complaining and whinning. But you can choose to ignore them. You can also choose not to play the remake if you feel it's not up to your expectations. I know how it feels that something you liked gets stomped by a lousy remake (Knight Rider is a good example in my case. The first version was cheesy but funny, and the new one is unbearable), but no one is going to force you to buy it, nor your PS1 copy will autodestroy.

My concern would be that they'd change some of the script so it was less vulgar and crude. Barrett and Cid's swearing needs to stay there but how they'd recreate it with voice overs without feeling they should completely cut it out I don't know. (Though they could easily have them swear while not in cut scenes, but when spoken to.)

Little things like that mounting up would eventually ruin the tone and nostalgia of it for me.

About the swearing, they could do like in "Brutal Legend" where you could choose between hearing the swearword or a beep. Cid's lines would be a loooooooong beep :awesome:

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
I hear you there about the criticism. You can't please everybody, so people will be always complaining and whinning. But you can choose to ignore them. You can also choose not to play the remake if you feel it's not up to your expectations. I know how it feels that something you liked gets stomped by a lousy remake (Knight Rider is a good example in my case. The first version was cheesy but funny, and the new one is unbearable), but no one is going to force you to buy it, nor your PS1 copy will autodestroy.

About the swearing, they could do like in "Brutal Legend" where you could choose between hearing the swearword or a beep. Cid's lines would be a loooooooong beep :awesome:

I imagine this scene from Yugioh abridged would accurately sum up Cid's beep.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7Kia1vkA78

Glaurung

Forgot the cutesy in my other pants. Sorry.
AKA
Mama Dragon
Is it strange that I find the beeps funnier than the actual swearwords?

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man
I'm sadly...more interested on their upcoming game called Nier.... For some reason, it draws itself to me like Mass effect 2 did.

Aki

he are sick
Genesis should be nowhere near a remake. Cloud was only telling the events as he remembered them. He didnt interact with Genesis.

The way I see it should be like FFX's jecht spheres. A side quest that unlocks certain cut scenes maybe finding encrypted Shinra files. Just to keep all the compilation parts referanced but the basic game plays how FFVII should

ForceStealer

Double Growth

Technically, beeping out the swear words would actually be more in-keeping with the %&#*$( script.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
I'm sadly...more interested on their upcoming game called Nier.... For some reason, it draws itself to me like Mass effect 2 did.

Nier is no more SE's game than Tomb Raider is.

And it looks dumb as hell. You're only interested for the dickgirl.

Top Bottom