• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Square-Enix Profits Plunge an additional 76%. Due to "discerning customers."

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Holy shit guys, we've finally gotten smarter now!!!! :awesome:

Square Enix is reporting profits for fiscal 2010 to date are down 76% to a mere $22 million, a change it blames on “more discerning consumers.”
Sales are also down 27.5% to $120 million, with a 58% decrease in operating profit.

Their PR line?

“Consumers have become relentlessly discerning, and the gap between titles which sell and those which don’t is widening. We’ll recover by investing in quality products which will appeal to consumers.”

Oh shit! Guess the cat's out of the bag now.... They might actually have to start working again. Damn.

Square, just fucking fire Yoichi Wada already lolol

ForceStealer

Double Growth
“Consumers have become relentlessly discerning, and the gap between titles which sell and those which don’t is widening. We’ll recover by investing in quality products which will appeal to consumers.”

That's a scary PR line. Implies no risky titles ever.

Smooth Criminal said:
Square, just fucking fire Yoichi Wada already lolol

And why can't they figure this the hell out?! :rage:

Well then the question is...who would replace Yoichi Wada? Is there a natural choice? Does anyone else have the guts to take that position?

Would be ironic if they began investing in only remakes at this point. They did say "quality products" after all.

My thoughts exactly. Though Square, at present, will never get so desperate as to start remaking FFVII. It's too haaaard. :hohum:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
It often seems like western companies fire their CEOs too quickly, as a kneejerk reaction. But Square latches onto this guy like a sailor clinging to the mast of his already sinking ship.

As that article points out, Square's diminishing performance coincides almost exactly with Wada's time as CEO. Now there's nothing saying replacing him would fix everything, but they must have picked up on the correlation, no?

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
"We’ll recover by investing in quality handheld products which will appeal to consumers.”

nooooo

Elisa Maza

Whomst
Well... If that doesn't scream "We're taking the safe route, and never risking novice, new and fresh titles again", nothing does.

And right before this, they announced the sequel to FFXIII.

Yup. Totally towards the right direction.

Last edited:

Russell

.. ? ..
AKA
King of the Potato People
yoichiwadapresident.jpg

We’ll recover by investing in quality products

I don't know which smilie to use to respond to the above, one of these:
:lol: :wacky:

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
Did the products they wasted their money on lately not appear as quality products? I'd have hoped they were honest mistakes.

DrakeClawfang

The Wanderer of Time
Sounds like we need less of
yoichi_wada.jpg
and more of
Sakaguchi.jpg

Seriously, I don't care how expensive it would be, buy out Mistwalker and get Sakaguchi back in the driver's seat of Final Fantasy where he belongs before we get driven into a wall.

Jocalyn

Pro Adventurer
Sounds like we need less of
yoichi_wada.jpg
and more of
Sakaguchi.jpg

Seriously, I don't care how expensive it would be, buy out Mistwalker and get Sakaguchi back in the driver's seat of Final Fantasy where he belongs before we get driven into a wall.

here here!! I'm definitely ready for some quality games again. (I never even bought FF13, never had any interest)

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
Fail to serve your consumer base and profits fall through the floor.

What a novel concept.

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
Imagine that: when you continually release shitty products, people stop buying them. Especially during a recession.

I agree with the "fire Wada" diagnosis, but it seems increasingly unlikely to happen.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
I do find it a bit odd that they seemed much more willing to kick out Sakaguchi back in the day than they are to kick out Wada now. But maybe that's just me...

Top Bottom