Square Enix trademarks Ever Crisis, The First Soldier, and Shinra logo in Japan

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
Gematsu article:

Square Enix filed trademarks for “Ever Crisis” and “The First Soldier” on December 17, 2020 in Japan, as well as the Shinra Electric Power Company logo on December 22. All three trademarks were just made public today.

All three trademarks seem to be related to Square Enix’s Final Fantasy VII series:

• “Ever Crisis” shares a similar name to the 2004-released mobile game Before Crisis: Final Fantasy VII and 2007-released PSP game Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII.
  • “The First Soldier” seems to be a reference to Sephiroth, the main villain of the Final Fantasy VII series.
  • The Shinra Electric Power Company is an organization in the world of Final Fantasy VII.
The latest game in the Final Fantasy VII series, Final Fantasy VII Remake, launched for PlayStation 4 in April 2020.

Would EC after FF7 and First soldier be Before BC?
Nothing is certain at this time. Ever Crisis might be the subtitle of Remake Part 2 for all we know. "First Soldier" sounds more like a side-story to me.

I'd bet Square is gearing up for going full multimedia-project with the future of Remake, similar to how their main FFs usually have novels, movies, mobile games etc on the side.

BlueCollarNerd

Pro Adventurer
Nothing is certain at this time. Ever Crisis might be the subtitle of Remake Part 2 for all we know. "First Soldier" sounds more like a side-story to me.

Very true. Its kinds funny how much effort and time we put into trying to figure out what se is doing. Just shows how much excitement and love their is for this project.

I'd bet Square is gearing up for going full multimedia-project with the future of Remake, similar to how their main FFs usually have novels, movies, mobile games etc on the side.

Hoping they dont waste time and resorces on a mobile game. Though i know those can be quick cash grabs for them.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
I feel like "Ever Crisis" might be a way of contextualizing the Compilation's relationship to Remake, especially given the "FFVII: EC" so that people who are getting into Remake and then exploring the other titles have a clear answer about how those story elements tie up with what Remake is presenting, as well as maybe a way to touch on this history of Jenova & the Cetra a little bit more directly if they wanted.

We've also had the FFVII Ultimania confirm things about Sephiroth being the first SOLDIER, and given what Remake looks to be doing, I think that a lot of that early Shinra history is exceptionally important for them to explore in the context of the story – especially with some of what they added in Remake that I've been researching lately.

X:neo:

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
I predict one of two things are happening:

a) EC is the subtitle of FF7R2, putting to bed once and for all the debate on whether it’s a sequel.

b) it’s a spin-off addressing the new Zack timeline, allowing 7R to return to retelling the original story without the sequel stuff.

I hope for B. I’m leaning towards believing A.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Why not both? :awesome:

Holy shit.

This is the first time these trademark announcements actually means something. What the fuck...

I feel like it's fucking 2009 all over again.

The First SOLDIER. Yeah, this definitely sounds interesting. Would be a total fucking banger if instead of getting a Remaster of Crisis Core, they straight up decided to remake it too.

Goddamn, what a time to be alive.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
I feel like "Ever Crisis" might be a way of contextualizing the Compilation's relationship to Remake, especially given the "FFVII: EC" so that people who are getting into Remake and then exploring the other titles have a clear answer about how those story elements tie up with what Remake is presenting, as well as maybe a way to touch on this history of Jenova & the Cetra a little bit more directly if they wanted.

We've also had the FFVII Ultimania confirm things about Sephiroth being the first SOLDIER, and given what Remake looks to be doing, I think that a lot of that early Shinra history is exceptionally important for them to explore in the context of the story – especially with some of what they added in Remake that I've been researching lately.

X:neo:
Though didn’t that article ultimately conclude that the franchise/Compilation canon is self-contradictory over whether Sephiroth was the first SOLDIER or not? And that the best way to reconcile the conflicting statements is interpret it as Sephiroth being the first “contemporary” type SOLDIER (i.e. Jenova cells and Mako bath treatment, instead of just the Mako bath treatment).
I predict one of two things are happening:

a) EC is the subtitle of FF7R2, putting to bed once and for all the debate on whether it’s a sequel.

b) it’s a spin-off addressing the new Zack timeline, allowing 7R to return to retelling the original story without the sequel stuff.

I hope for B. I’m leaning towards believing A.
Part 2 having the subtitle Ever Crisis doesn’t really determine whether or not the Remake project is a “sequel” to the OG. It would be just a subtitle.

Anyways I really hope this maybe could be indicative of Before Crisis getting a remaster/remake. Another speculation I’ve seen is maybe one of the trademarks titles could be an original tie-in anime or film like what FFXV had.

Last edited:
Though didn’t that article ultimately conclude that the franchise/Compilation canon is self-contradictory over whether Sephiroth was the first SOLDIER or not?
Yes. I think what X is actually eluding to is some FFVII Remake lore reveal about Sephiroth being the first SOLDIER and he assumed that the article would have been updated with this new info. Though I don't keep up to tabs with Remake lore and Ultimania translations enough to know where such a quote might be. :monster:

Am I on the right track, @X-SOLDIER ?

Top Bottom