Square Enix trademarks Ever Crisis, The First Soldier, and Shinra logo in Japan

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Like I've said... if SE is trying to convince me they've forgotten about Genesis, they're doing a really bad job of it.

DoC is Vincent's and Deepground's game. The G Reports are totally missable and don't contribute anything to the plot. So why are they pointing out to everyone that they exist???

a_apple 2.0

Pro Adventurer
AKA
a_apple
Like I've said... if SE is trying to convince me they've forgotten about Genesis, they're doing a really bad job of it.

DoC is Vincent's and Deepground's game. The G Reports are totally missable and don't contribute anything to the plot. So why are they pointing out to everyone that they exist???
All those big brain lore vids that go really deep into the compilation seem to be right in the end. Vincent and DoC will probably be super relevant in the remake

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I mean honestly, Dirge's secret ending is still so weird to me. It's ostensibly a tease for Crisis Core, but in its own context shouldn't it be leading to another story? It always felt like there was some big final compilation entry we never got where Genesis and Weiss were relevant somehow that just never materialized. I guess it wouldn't be too shocking if they rolled that back into the remake somehow.

Nobody asked for the subtle return of Kadaj, Loz and Yazoo and the Remake did it anyway. It is easy to imagine the writers giving a similar treatment to Genesis and Weiss where you'll only know they returned at all by reading an Ultimania or picking up on crazy subtle clues in the game.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
I don't think that anniversary tweet is at all related to Ever Crisis, I mean social media accounts do those types of things all the time, but it is fun to think about what could've been with that secret ending. Especially now that we know a remake of FFVII was always planned to be the fifth and final compilation title. Before Remake, we all would've assumed a fifth entry would follow up on Genesis. So just what were they intending?

Last edited:

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Hmmm... I'm still betting it's a Before Crisis gacha. It fits the name, and FFVII is the only major S-E IP that doesn't have it's own gacha and this is while the Remake is hot right now. They're simply not going to leave that money on the table for long.

Also, I think they're being cute with the letters... In terms of historical classifications BC did get an E added to it with the change from "Before Christ" to "Before Common Era" so B to E... :monster:

They also filed a new mobile game patent. And I can't imagine what new series would get a mobile game except..

Last edited:

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
I don't think EC will be the Part 2 of Remake because of the naming schemes the Compilation has... or rather, because of the naming scheme Remake didn't have. The Compilation has three main naming schemes "FFVII", "-C" and "random line of text". And the usage of those is very consistent.

"FFVII" is... the story of the original FFVII. The one that starts in Midgar and has Sephrioth casting Meteor. The only two games that really use that title are the OG and Remake. And both of them are about the same time period.

"-C" is... auxiliary games (and one movie) to the original FFVII. They expand on the story FFVII was telling, but are all prequels or squeals to it. None of them cover the time period of the OG. That the Remake doesn't fit into this naming scheme is significant I think.

"Random line of text" are the novellas and anime. Like the "-C" games, they expand on the story of FFVII. But they do so for the events that don't work well as games. The novellas in particular also have some of the most important world-building in them in a lot of ways. World-building that doesn't get naturally discussed in the games.

Now... SE could easily be breaking prescient here... but I kinda don't think they are. The way Nomura talks about what the title "Remake" means makes me think that any game following it is going to use a similar naming scheme, rather than the "-C" naming scheme we are already familiar with. It's also too soon for Part 2 to be coming out after Part 1 (Part 1 still doesn't have a PC release date yet!). So... a lot feels like it's "too soon" for stuff about Part 2 to be already being filed.

JBedford

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JBed
I feel Ever Crisis just makes too much sense for what's happening in Remake to be anything else. The "Crisis" is the events of VII, and as the events somehow are repeating in some sort of time loop, the crisis is eternal, always, "ever".

I expect all of the individual games in the Remake series to have "RE-" titles (Reunion, Rebirth, etc.). But I expect the "fifth entry" to the Compilation will be the Remake series as a whole. If they give the series a name then I expect to be "Ever Crisis", as Tres said.

Whatever "Ever Crisis" is is probably important that they'd bring back the naming scheme. I also think VIIR is meant to be digested as a story separate from the original so for them to revive the name scheme but not give one to Remake seems a bit strange to me (although still understandable).

Last edited:

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
The thing is... the "Crisis" that Crisis Core is referring to is rather specific... the Nibelheim Incident. More particularly, the game revolves around the issues Jenova causes for the people who have... large amounts of her in them. And no one has more of Jenova in them than Sephrioth does.

My question more is... what would make that particular crisis always be an issue... when the OG and ACC are presented as the defeat of Sephrioth to the point DoC doesn't feature him at all. And we have a time-travel plot that suggests Sephiroth from ACC has somehow become an issue somehow. There is the dangling plot thread from DoC's ending that Crisis Core itself made a point to explain the context and backstory of.

It very much feels like there is a "missing game" between DoC and... whatever happened to put ACC Sephiroth back in time. And... that feels like like it could easily lend itself to Sephiroth turning out to be a crisis that is continually ongoing in some way.

The other thing is... Remake is about having a better ending to the OG story than the OG did. Which kinda means ending Sephiroth's threat for good. How that will happen, I have no idea, but that's pretty obviously where it's going. The way Case of Lifestream describes how Sephrioth can keep coming back potentially is a huge problem, but that's only an issue after the OG, not before it. The point of the Remake is to be the opposite of an "Ever Crisis" and it's goal is really to be a "Final Crisis" if anything.

JBedford

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JBed
The thing is... the "Crisis" that Crisis Core is referring to is rather specific... the Nibelheim Incident. More particularly, the game revolves around the issues Jenova causes for the people who have... large amounts of her in them. And no one has more of Jenova in them than Sephrioth does.
Maybe this is true. I think the crisis referred to in "Crisis Core" is the crisis of FFVII. Crisis Core's original title was supposedly going to be "Before Crisis Core", but as the title developed and diverged further from Before Crisis they felt the title didn't need to keep the connection and dropped "Before". My interpretation of the title is "the heart of the events that lead to the crisis".

It very much feels like there is a "missing game" between DoC and... whatever happened to put ACC Sephiroth back in time. And... that feels like like it could easily lend itself to Sephiroth turning out to be a crisis that is continually ongoing in some way.
True. I don't expect their reasoning will be that complicated or logical though. Maybe the focus of a short story. Sephiroth's cells are an evolved version of Jenova's cells that can reunite but also through time! or whatever. The Remake series is going to have to explain this, and the end of the series is going to have to find a way to prevent him from being able to do it again, but the series itself is about the problem of the crisis that can ever repeat.

ultima786

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ultima
Why does everyone keep saying this? Is there any explicit proof that it refers to the Nibelheim incident? Crisis in OG has always referred to Jenova. I thought Crisis Core was simply a discussion of the start (or core) of the crisis, surrounding Sephiroth's regression into madness (of course, from Zack's perspective and others who are related to this development).

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
I think the crisis referred to in "Crisis Core" is the crisis of FFVII. Crisis Core's original title was supposedly going to be "Before Crisis Core", but as the title developed and diverged further from Before Crisis they felt the title didn't need to keep the connection and dropped "Before". My interpretation of the title is "the heart of the events that lead to the crisis".

Yeah the way I see it, "Crisis" refers to the Jenova War, the "Core" or start of which would be the Nibelheim Incident. So I interpret Crisis Core to mean the Nibelheim Incident and I suppose the rising and falling action surrounding it.

Hopefully to aid discussion, here's the original tagline for Crisis Core used in its first trailer:

"A story of three young men and one young woman bound for destiny's core."

Love the use of 'destiny' in retrospect :mon:

Last edited:

waw

Pro Adventurer
Why does everyone keep saying this? Is there any explicit proof that it refers to the Nibelheim incident? Crisis in OG has always referred to Jenova. I thought Crisis Core was simply a discussion of the start (or core) of the crisis, surrounding Sephiroth's regression into madness (of course, from Zack's perspective and others who are related to this development).

Sephiroth's descent into madness is the Nibelheim incident though. and Crisis Core does revolve around that a lot.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
the way I see it, "Crisis" refers to the Jenova War, the "Core" or start of which would be the Nibelheim Incident. So I interpret Crisis Core to mean the Nibelheim Incident and I suppose the rising and falling action surrounding it.
This is definetly the case... to the point Crisis Core makes it even more obvious by having Sephrioth not be the only person dealing with being a Jenova experiment that messes around with his mind/body.

Sephiroth, Genesis and Angeal spend all of Crisis Core dealing with the fallout of being "Jenova's children". Except... Sephrioth is the only one who ends up being a threat to the Planet itself. Genesis and Angeal mange to avoid "enabling" Jenova to the extent that the Planet is really threatened by them.

What Crisis Core does do is make the OG feel... a bit awkward in terms of what the "main conflict" of the OG is. Instead of the "main conflict" being Meteor, Meteor is the fallout of the "main conflict" of what happened at Nibelehim between Sephrioth and Jenova (and the Planet). So I think Remake will be reframing the Meteor crisis or the NIbelehim incident in a few key ways. Or making a new "main conflict" all together....

eleamaya

Pro Adventurer
Yeah the way I see it, "Crisis" refers to the Jenova War, the "Core" or start of which would be the Nibelheim Incident. So I interpret Crisis Core to mean the Nibelheim Incident and I suppose the rising and falling action surrounding it.

Hopefully to aid discussion, here's the original tagline for Crisis Core used in its first trailer:

"A story of three young men and one young woman bound for destiny's core."

Love the use of 'destiny' in retrospect :mon:
Yeah, the tagline does sound like the impression of Remake ending and what leads ahead in part 2 between Cloud, Sephiroth, Zack, and Aerith as it's supposed to be the continuity from what we see in the first trailer of Crisis Core, just focused on those 4 characters' destiny and its change... before Genesis and Angeal were created so that the tagline turns to Loveless' plot and whatever Genesis interprets.

Though, if the tagline refers to Nibelheim incident, the "woman" here should refer to Tifa, not Aerith.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
As a term in the context of FFVII, "the crisis" is definitely the primary events of the original FFVII -- Bugenhagen: "The knowledge of the Ancients swirling around here is telling me one thing. The planet's in a crisis... A crisis beyond human power or endless time." The Japanese word used here (危機) is even distinct even from the word (厄災) used to refer to "the Crisis/Calamity (from the Sky)" -- i.e. Jenova -- and it is the word one sees used when transliterating Crisis Core's title to Japanese ("危機の核心").

All that in mind, "Ever Crisis" most certainly refers to the events of the original game (and/or the remake) in some way.

ultima786

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ultima
All that in mind, "Ever Crisis" most certainly refers to the events of the original game (and/or the remake) in some way.
Crisis sure does. But “ever”? That must be a unique theme to remake, or tangentially related to OG.

Bugenhagen’s quote that you mention does mention “endless time” so it may be a theme that was very minor in OG

Top Bottom