Square Launches 10th Anniversary Site

Marcus

Consumed By Darkness
I smell a joke, I'm sure it hasn't been 10 years fir the merge...... *googles*

Marcus

Consumed By Darkness
Agreed, ever since the departure of Sakaguchi and Uematsu, the games haven't been terrible but they haven't been on par with their predecessors. I wonder what fun and non-final fantasy titles will be shown on this site.... If any at all.

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
Uematsu still collaborates with them, I think. He did some FFXIV ost, as far as I know? Either way, there's some good composers there. I'm not saying they're better or worse than Uematsu, but Ishimoto's done a good job, and we already know Shimomura's great. And Hamazu did some good pieces on FFXIII and XIII-2... So in that sense, I'm not worried.

In all honesty, it's just Final Fantasy that's been quite subpar, as far as I'm concerned. I loved how they "revived" some franchises like Valkyrie Profile. It's true they didn't create it, but bringing it back was a great decision. And some other games have been good. Just not epic, especially when it comes to Final Fantasy and the numbered games. But in all honesty, in the past 10 years there's only been 3 numbered games, so it's not like they had many chances, which brings us to what's probably the main problem with Square Enix nowadays... the slow speed in which they develop games.

Tri-Ace is where it's on! I want to see what they'll come up with, next...

Last edited:

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Uematsu still collaborates with them, I think. He did some FFXIV ost, as far as I know? Either way, there's some good composers there. I'm not saying they're better or worse than Uematsu, but Ishihara's done a good job, and we already know Shimomura's great. And Hamazu did some good pieces on FFXIII and XIII-2... So in that sense, I'm not worried.

Don't know who Ishihara is, but all the others are actually freelance just like Uematsu. :comedian:

Also, the anniversary site is gone.

If that was an April fool's joke, it was a pretty lame one.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I assume he meant Takeharu Ishimoto, but I agreed with his point that whether they actually employ Uematsu or not is likely irrelevant to game quality.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Let this 10 year anniversary mark a new beginning for Square where quality, innovation and talent becomes the standard and not derivative re-releases, half-assed sequels and bullshit mobile games.

....Or just riding on the Eidos merger to stay afloat.

Get it fucking together, Square. Please.

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
Uematsu still collaborates with them, I think. He did some FFXIV ost, as far as I know? Either way, there's some good composers there. I'm not saying they're better or worse than Uematsu, but Ishimoto's done a good job, and we already know Shimomura's great. And Hamazu did some good pieces on FFXIII and XIII-2... So in that sense, I'm not worried.

In all honesty, it's just Final Fantasy that's been quite subpar, as far as I'm concerned. I loved how they "revived" some franchises like Valkyrie Profile. It's true they didn't create it, but bringing it back was a great decision. And some other games have been good. Just not epic, especially when it comes to Final Fantasy and the numbered games. But in all honesty, in the past 10 years there's only been 3 numbered games, so it's not like they had many chances, which brings us to what's probably the main problem with Square Enix nowadays... the slow speed in which they develop games.

Tri-Ace is where it's on! I want to see what they'll come up with, next...

How exactly did they "revive" Valkyrie Profile? That's what I want to know. >_>

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
By taking the original game (6 years old by that time) and porting it to a newer console, first of all, and then creating two new Valkyrie Profile games.

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
I wouldn't go around calling a "port" and a "model set recyclery" and an ultra-obscure "mini-sequel" a revification, personally.

Sure, VP2 set a new standard for the battle system...but the in-game character einherjar aren't anything to boast about since they all seemed like clones with slight deviations of their movelists.

I think they could stand to do a lot better now than ever with that series.

And Covenant was just...ugh...no.

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
Yep. I generally agree with you. I mean, what you say makes total sense. And Covenant was weaaaaaak. It had a good premise but it was poorly executed. I consider it merely a side game. I would even say spin off. I'm hoping they'll do a good job if they make a new game*.

But I enjoyed VP2, so "I don't mind" that the Einherjar there were clones. I just did not use them and that's that. And then I fought those optional battles so that I permanently have my beloved Lenneth :monster: . In fact right now my group consists of the 3 valkyries + Alicia.

* I think they have hit a rock, here. They did Lenneth and Silmeria but now they have to do Hrist / Ahly . That is a problem because, even if there's some peple who like her, she's always been portrayed as, partially, an antagonist. See that I chose the word "antagonist" and not "enemy". There are a lot of reasons for her to be the way she is, etc. But I can honestly see them struggling to make a game where you have to control her and/or her human host. Of course, the best way would be to make a human host act totally different to Hrist. Only that they sort of did that with Alicia and Silmeria already.

The tone for a game with Hrist as the main character would be completely different. It's not something that I'm against, but they do face a problem there. Hrist as the final game (they CAN finish the series after this, in all honesty) is not something I'd wish to see and I'm sure I'm not exactly alone here. Personally I'd like to see at least two more games, or even a proper Lenneth remake. That would be awesome.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
So this is what came of it:
http://www.jp.square-enix.com/yantama10th/

cdtl3nbecbni.jpg

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
....That's it? That's seriously all they have to say or show for this abysmal 10 years of mismanagement, profits and creative output?

3673822_o.gif

table-flip-level-batman_o_351327.gif

tumblr_inline_mhs1guZaXl1qz4rgp.gif

8E7Vk.gif

tumblr_mgp9qkEvX71s3yph0o1_500.gif

Yeah. I can't help but say I'm done. They can fucking rot in cell-phone game Hell, at this point.

Top Bottom