Stalemate Random Or Boss Battles?

Mariketsu

I Am the Darkness, I'm the Monster
AKA
Razael
Made this thread cuz I managed to do something really weird when I was playing FFVII.. So, am I the only one who somehow got myself stuck in a stalemate battle?

See, when I was fighting that 2-headed monster with a fire-based head and an ice-based head somewhere in a cave (forgot where), I had Vincent in my party right? So, after fighting with it for a bit, both Cloud and Yuffie were killed and Vincent was left... only he was in Galian Beast form, which meant I was unable to control him. I realized it was a completely random stalemate when the only head of the monster left, which was the fire-head, was using fire attacks against Galian Beast and vice versa...

Galian Beast was absorbing the fire attacks and converted it to health when the fire-head's second attack would do damage, and the fire-head was nullifying Galian's fire-attacks to 0 and taking no damage whatsoever so... Yeah. I couldn't even run from the fight cuz of Galian Beast, so I was pretty much stuck there.

I'm an idiot xD for somehow managing to cause that :lol:. I actually sat there and watched the fight for about half an hour before I had to shut it off and restart xDDD.

Anyone else ever manage to do that?

~ Raz

Last edited:
Never did that, although a classic repeated by many is to use Vincent when fighting the Dragon in Mt. Nibel, and having Vincent turn into Galian Beast and cast his fire-based attack which the Dragon absorbs.

Not a stalemate, but another example of how Vincent's elemental-based limit breaks can be a real pain.

Last edited:

Mariketsu

AKA
Razael
Yeah, I did run into some trouble with Vincent's Limit Break forms, but I also think it adds to the character in that you can't really control them when he's transformed xD. Still tho, they were a bit of a pain at times.

~ Raz

Xpelair

Pro Adventurer
That's the problem with Vincent. His limits are powerful but unpredictable (like a double edged sword). It's always safe to know your enemy's strengths and weaknesses before hand.

I do hope your save was close by?

Mariketsu

AKA
Razael
Lol, my save was decent xD. Just couldn't stop laughing at the sheer hilarity of it all, lol.

~ Raz

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Never did that, although a classic repeated by many is to use Vincent when fighting the Dragon in Mt. Nibel, and having Vincent turn into Galian Beast and cast his fire-based attack which the Dragon absorbs.

Not a stalemate, but another example of how Vincent's elemental-based limit breaks can be a real pain.

And a perfect example of how the unique abilities of new characters you get should be usable against the very first boss you encounter after acquiring the new characters. Absolutely retarded.

Dana Scully

Special Agent
AKA
YACCBS, Legato Bluesummers, Daenaerys Targaryen, Revy, Kate Beckett, Samantha Carter, Matsumoto Rangiku
Haha, this exact thing happened to me too - I even had the same party members. I just ended up restarting the game and loading up my save point because it never ended. xD Unfortunately I hadn't saved in a while, but it was still amusing in a FUUUU sort of way.

Sigbru

Meh
AKA
The artist formerly know as Sigbru
Made this thread cuz I managed to do something really weird when I was playing FFVII.. So, am I the only one who somehow got myself stuck in a stalemate battle?

See, when I was fighting that 2-headed monster with a fire-based head and an ice-based head somewhere in a cave (forgot where), I had Vincent in my party right? So, after fighting with it for a bit, both Cloud and Yuffie were killed and Vincent was left... only he was in Galian Beast form, which meant I was unable to control him. I realized it was a completely random stalemate when the only head of the monster left, which was the fire-head, was using fire attacks against Galian Beast and vice versa...

Galian Beast was absorbing the fire attacks and converted it to health when the fire-head's second attack would do damage, and the fire-head was nullifying Galian's fire-attacks to 0 and taking no damage whatsoever so... Yeah. I couldn't even run from the fight cuz of Galian Beast, so I was pretty much stuck there.

I'm an idiot xD for somehow managing to cause that :lol:. I actually sat there and watched the fight for about half an hour before I had to shut it off and restart xDDD.

Anyone else ever manage to do that?

~ Raz
Wait, why are you using a level 1 Limit Break that late in the game? :monster:

I remember that boss though, Schizo. He was such a bitch. The only boss in the game beside the Weapons I had trouble with

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
Yeah I did this once with Vincent as well.. I don't remember which boss though. I kept just hoping he'd die somehow but it didn't happen XD

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
This is why I don't use Vincent, or any other character I can't control at all times.

See also: Cait Sith, Selphie, Setzer's Slot, Gau, etc etc etc.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
And a perfect example of how the unique abilities of new characters you get should be usable against the very first boss you encounter after acquiring the new characters. Absolutely retarded.

Vincent is an optional character, though. You don't HAVE to get him your first time in Nibelheim. I mean yes, maybe they should have kept it in mind that some people would, and that they would put him into the party right away when getting him. But it's at least partially understandable why they wouldn't have.

Splintered

unsavory tart
I did that Vincent thing more than once, temporary stupidity. You always want to use Vincent as soon as you get him, pretty much like every character. And then you remember but it's too late. And you totally didn't use that save point like you should have.

FFfdsadsfsf

Anyway, FFXIII, imo, runs into something like this a lot of times. You might not get a stalemate, but if you don't have the right roles and team strategy, it takes a lot longer than it should. I've had battles that should only take me five minutes, last up to fifteen because I didn't have a saboteur in my party, or my overall strategies didn't have enough diverse paragims with sentinels in it.

Last edited:

Mariketsu

AKA
Razael
I rotated Limit Breaks alot and using Vincent (who I got late in the game cuz the Safe Monster kicked my ass >_>) never really caused me much issue til that particular battle. And, as I said before, I suck MAJOR ass at RPGs xD. I always level up too slow too LOL!

~ Raz

ForceStealer

Double Growth
lol, that's true, though I never thought of it. The first boss after getting Vincent is Materia Keeper - who is a pretty tough boss at that point (iirc, it was the first place I got 'stuck' in FF7), and good luck if you use Galian Beast against that guy.

Also, yeah, I hate Schizo. I think Schizo and Carry Armor (underwater reactor boss) are the hardest bosses in the game in terms of difficulty relative to your level at that point in the game.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Maybe a series on the challenging regular bosses (i.e. non-super boss types) of the FF series is in order? Those bosses who can certainly be toppled with ease if you know their challenge is coming and go out of your way to prepare for it, but who will fuck your shit up if you don't.

Fuckers like the Evil Wall (FFIV), Adel (FFVIII) and the Elder Wyrm (FFXII). You'd have to include FFTactics this time, though, because of Velius -- possibly the most punishing boss in any FF if you've not prepared for him.

Might not be enough material for a full-on article series, though. Maybe just a good discussion thread.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Ooh, another good idea. I think there's potential for an article series, the author would just have to really know his or her shit. I know I can't remember many bosses from the ones I haven't played in awhile... There would be material though, Carry Armor, Evrae, the last battle against XIII's Proudclad, V's Gil Turtle (well...I guess he's optional), etc.

Maybe start it as a discussion thread and if we got some good stuff feature people's personal nemesis...es on the front page?

I did that with Zack in CC. It was in some cave somewhere (they were all the same, anyway). Basically the enemies were attacking him with Stun or Stop, which I hadn't protected against, and either Thunder or Fire. He was wearing a bracelet at absorbed the element. They also had physical attacks. He had the Cissnei materia equipped so the DMW slots kept hitting the jackpot. What happened was, he was repeatedly Stopped so that I couldn't make him do anything, but he couldn't die, because their elemental attacks kept healing him - and then every so often the DMW would restore him to 99999. On top of this I kept getting useless Level 1 attacks from the DMW. It took about twenty minutes for the stalemate to finally break.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
I can top all that!

I was cheating to kill Ruby weapon, and I cant remember the exact details or setup, but for some reason my characters were all doing shit damage to it (even tho the claws were in the sand) by shit I mean 300-400 per hit even though they were all lv 90+ And also unbelieveably comet and comet 2 were doing 30-40 damage per hit ( per uh..asteriod)

Cloud and Cid ended up being swallowed by the sand (yeah I really fucked this up)

Oh and then Vincent turned into fucking Galian beast or death gigas, doing elemental attacks anyway. healing Ruby, so I just had to pray that he did a physical attack once in a while (doing about 2000-3000 damage) basically out of every 5 attacks 1 was physical and the others were healing ruby for about 400-500.

Annnnnway. I'd sort of gone past the point of no return and couldnt face restarting (I hadnt saved my weapon/materia setup beforehand) so I left it on for about 70 mins or so.....I did win eventually, but it was a pyrrhic victory...I ended up a corpse-eyed puppet by the end.

So the moral of the story is: Real gamers dont cheat kids!

Splintered

unsavory tart
shit. I know I can't remember many bosses from the ones I haven't played in awhile... There would be material though, Carry Armor, Evrae, the last battle against XIII's Proudclad, V's Gil Turtle (well...I guess he's optional), etc.
Pretty much every summon battle was like this. It wouldn't help that on your first play through, you probably didn't understand every two full turns, switching paragims gave you a full atb slots.

I died so many times during my first playthrough. I'm playing it again though, and I breezed through the battles (except for maybe Vanille's)

I did that with Zack in CC. It was in some cave somewhere (they were all the same, anyway). Basically the enemies were attacking him with Stun or Stop, which I hadn't protected against, and either Thunder or Fire. He was wearing a bracelet at absorbed the element. They also had physical attacks. He had the Cissnei materia equipped so the DMW slots kept hitting the jackpot. What happened was, he was repeatedly Stopped so that I couldn't make him do anything, but he couldn't die, because their elemental attacks kept healing him - and then every so often the DMW would restore him to 99999. On top of this I kept getting useless Level 1 attacks from the DMW. It took about twenty minutes for the stalemate to finally break.
This made me fucking RAAAGGGEEEE. It happened constantly with me, and I would never save so I couldn't just restart, I would either break out of it, but then they might stun be again. It didn't help that all upper level missions have enemies that have some sort of status attack, and they mixed those guys in the same level. So even if you were protected from stun, they could still stop or instant death you.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Ooh, another good idea. I think there's potential for an article series, the author would just have to really know his or her shit. I know I can't remember many bosses from the ones I haven't played in awhile... There would be material though, Carry Armor, Evrae, the last battle against XIII's Proudclad, V's Gil Turtle (well...I guess he's optional), etc.

Maybe start it as a discussion thread and if we got some good stuff feature people's personal nemesis...es on the front page?

I think that's a good idea. I'll make a thread for it.

Also, just thought of Seymour Flux -- another battle that can fuck you up, and that's even if you're prepared for him.

Top Bottom