• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Star Wars Battlefront (I & II)

So the beta is coming out next week, and I was wondering if one of you guys would be nice enough to explain what there is to "get" about Battlefield games.

From what I understand, Battlefront is basically Battlefield with a star wars skin. It looks fantastic, but I've tried out Battlefield, and Hardline before, and I was just completely and utterly lost. I'd run around to where people seem to be, and either get killed by someone I never knew was there on the way there, or when I was there, but trying to find someone to shoot. It's horribly frustrating to go for 30-40 min and only actually be able to shoot one person. (who I bumped into running around a corner)

I check the map, and scour the environment, but it doesn't help any. So basically, I'm wondering how it should be played, so I can actually gauge how good Battlefront is rather than waste my time trying to understand it.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I've mostly played BF 2, Bad Company 2 and 3, but one trend does seem to be that the maps are rather large and unless you can spawn into the action or get a vehicle, finding shit to do can be rather frustrating, yeah.

Bad Company 2 was probably a better one to get into, it's got smaller maps (due to console limitations, olol). I've tried a Hardline beta but couldn't really get into it myself, same with BF4.

I think the thing is to find the action (control points under attack). Alternatively, for a more classic experience, you should try the erm, idk, 'defense' maps - where one team is on the defense and one on the offense. If you're on defense, action will come to you, :monster:.

BF3 also had a Closed Quarters expansion, with new game modes and small, more traditional FPS maps. Can get quite extreme there.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Star Wars Battlefront was one of the best games for PS2. It's hard to describe what there is to *get* out of this game without mentioning that it was made primarily for people who were sitting in the same room... something that doesn't happen in video games anymore.

Battlefront makes you a grunt in the battles of Star Wars. So, the Imperial invasion of Hoth, the Battle of Endor, the droid seige of Kashyyk, etc. If you are a Star Wars fan, running around in the middle of these battles is fun enough. In the first two games the maps weren't too big, and within a few seconds of spawning you were back shooting. Each time you died you could choose between a few types of infantry, for instance, battle-droid/rolly-droid/super-battle-droid, or stormtrooper/imperial-pilot/marksman etc.

With the person in the room beside you (my brother and I always played) you can play co-op or vs. There was something called "split-screen" where one player was on top, the other on bottom. You could meet up and charge into battle together, two storm troopers against the swarming rebel armies, or two clones against the droids. Or you could be enemies, fighting through peons trying to headshot your friend.

While this was happening, you and your co-player could talk to each other because you were in the same room. You could joke and banter and laugh.

The second one implemented a great Campaign system and if you performed well as a grunt before you died, you could temporarily play a hero on your next respawn, for example: Vader on Hoth, Han on Endor, Obi-Wan on Utapau. It was a neat feature but the draw of the game for me was actually playing nobodies, so there's that.

I don't know how the game is going to sit with me now that split-screen is extinct, but Dice is a good developer so I will probably buy the release.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
DICE confirmed that they would be implementing split-screen co-op for the Co-op mode, iirc :monster:

Played a bit of the beta this morning, and maybe cause the map layouts are very simple, I didn't have the same problem I did with hardline. Overall it felt very... simple, and like I didn't really have much impact on anything. That may be because I was primarily playing walker assault tho, which has something like a 98% win rate for the empire.

The feel of star wars is incredible though.. attacking the rebels hoth base, trading laser fire with the signature pew sound going off, a tie fighter crashed next to us with tuffs of snow being shot up from various explosions... it felt like I was in star wars.

Thats really the only thing That got me going though. Doesn't stand out enough from other shooters really, and the community's just as brain dead as ever. Why do objectives when you can get a sick k/d ratio brah?

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
Currently downloading the beta.

More than likely won't get the game, but I'll give it a go and see if it's any good.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
and the community's just as brain dead as ever. Why do objectives when you can get a sick k/d ratio brah?

That's disappointing. I do recall Battlefield 2 did that better, where one player could assume the role of Commander and give objectives to squads - which weren't required to be executed, but you got bonus XP for them. In later games that turned into anyone (or just the squad leader? idk) being able to set objectives, which didn't have nearly the same impact.

But, I'll admit, I was usually the lone wolf dude just going where the action was, or wasn't. I like to think I had an impact, given my scores, :monster:

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
It feels like Star Wars, and that's alright.

It's a goddamn Star Wars game

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Tried it for a while, it was all right.

Won't be buying day one, as I've got too much to get through and my interest isn't all there yet.

Being in the hallways of the rebel base as Vader is awesome. I killed so many people by deflecting their blasts... lol

Once the betas over I'm not gonna pick it up tho.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Watched that on Facebook last night, I was howling. :monster:

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Fucken' cheap low-hanging fruit fuck you :monster:

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
I kinda do. (Bought it for my lovely partner, but she'll be gone for the next 3 weeks, so I can find out if I'm total shit at shooters or not during that time). xD

X :neo:

Top Bottom