• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Star Wars: Episode 7, 8... and BEYOND!

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
This will all end in tears, I know it /marvin

edit: Though to be fair, Disney has done a pretty good job with both Pixar and Marvel, so there may be a chance this might not suck. It's also true that the best Star Wars releases in recent memory have been the releases Lucas wasn't given complete control over.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
This will all end in tears, I know it /marvin

WTF do they plan to do anyway story-wise, have the bastard cyborg son of Luke and R2-D2 destroy a 3rd death star formed by the Dark Side Force from the collective hatred of the fanbase versus the prequels and Jar-Jar with the power of love and CGI?

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
WTF do they plan to do anyway story-wise, have the bastard cyborg son of Luke and R2-D2 destroy a 3rd death star formed by the Dark Side Force from the collective hatred of the fanbase versus the prequels and Jar-Jar with the power of love and CGI?
That would be lulz. To be fair, though, it's not like the Empire is completely gone after the end of the original trilogy, and there were plenty of rather cool novels written in the Expanded Universe after Return of the Jedi (although there were several crappy ones too). I doubt they're going to use one of those as the basis for the sequels though (least of all because the original actors are way too old, plus they probably have way too much plot to fit into a two-and-a-half-hour film), so they'll probably go with an original story, and I don't have much faith in whatever they come up with being any good.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
I remember one EU novel about a sith finding Darth Vaders glove and then suddenly having all of his power.

It was cool but meh at the same time o.O

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
:monster:

Also somewhat relevant, Disney purchased Pixar in 2006 for 7 billion, which used to be a subsidiary of Lucasfilm; they now purchased Lucasfilm for 4 billion, which is pretty neat considering they haven't done anything worthwhile since the prequel trilogy. The IP is probably worth shittons though - although, does the Star Wars IP belong to Lucasfilm or to George Lucas' person? Kinda relevant there.

Also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_sequel_trilogy has some information about stuff about the sequel triology based on stuff.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Mixed feelings.

I love Star Wars (even the prequels despite their flaws :monster: ) but I'm not sure about this...o_o

Mormz

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Dustin
Hopefully they come up with a decent storyline. I'd prefer it to be quite some time after the events of Episode 6.

Charles Xavier

Pro Adventurer
In all fairness, I'm not totally against another SW movie. And as Rory pointed out, Disney may do a better job with the franchise than Lucas. But ask yourself this; do we REALLY need another Star Wars movie?

If they're thinking about bringing back any of the original cast to serve in the main plot/s, I wouldn't advise it too much. I say bring on a new generation.

Ghost X

Saying "Do we really need another Star Wars movie?" is like saying "Do we really need the expanded universe?" ain't it? I'm all for another Star Wars movie. I just hope they do something different. I think we're over-exposed to certain elements. There's got to be more to the universe than just the force magic tricks, and Jedi versus Sith. Wouldn't mind the focus be shifted at least a tad away from that. Maybe have a central character the audience can relate to, looking at shit from the outside in sort of thing. As for when the story should be set, I would rather hear about a story post-Episode VI.

Fangu

Great Old One

On the other hand, they can't do any worse than Lucasfilm themselves did with the prequels. It is universally impossible to make Star Wars worse than that.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
More info:

Some speculation:

• This means that they COULD ACTUALLY RELEASE the original, unedited trilogy on BluRay.
• Disney owns Pixar, Marvel, Square, AND Star Wars now, so there will now almost certainly be a Kingdom Hearts videogame where Darth Vader fights against/with Sephiroth.
• Leia and Padme are now Disney Princesses.

They can't really do any worse at this point than Lucas, imo.

X :neo:

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
Ghost X said:
I think we're over-exposed to certain elements. There's got to be more to the universe than just the force magic tricks, and Jedi versus Sith.

On that they should take notes from The Old Republic since they have other stories than just Jedi versus Sith.

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
"It's not like the new movies ruin the old ones. Those will continue to be there regardless".

Sounds to me like a lot of FF7 Compilation comments are applicable to this.

Charles Xavier

Pro Adventurer
More info:

Some speculation:

• This means that they COULD ACTUALLY RELEASE the original, unedited trilogy on BluRay.
• Disney owns Pixar, Marvel, Square, AND Star Wars now, so there will now almost certainly be a Kingdom Hearts videogame where Darth Vader fights against/with Sephiroth.
• Leia and Padme are now Disney Princesses.

They can't really do any worse at this point than Lucas, imo.

When you say Square, you mean Square-Enix? I highly doubt Disney owns that. Kingdom Hearts is merely a joint collaboration between the two companies. No?

Danseru-kun

Pro Adventurer
I'm more thrilled to see the reaction of the die-hard SW fans. :wacky:

I love Star Wars and I really didn't hate the prequels, I don't think they were bad, only mediocre. I'll just wait and see and judge the new trilogy once I watch it.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
When you say Square, you mean Square-Enix? I highly doubt Disney owns that. Kingdom Hearts is merely a joint collaboration between the two companies. No?

Yeah, that's precisely what I meant. (I'm poasting at work while there're still supervisors here, which means that I tend to occasionally not double check my sentences). XD

Danseru-kun

Pro Adventurer
My gosh why did it take me so long to realize that Darth Vader isn't going to be in it in some way.

It's no Star Wars. :/

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
I'm more thrilled to see the reaction of the die-hard SW fans. :wacky:

I love Star Wars and I really didn't hate the prequels, I don't think they were bad, only mediocre. I'll just wait and see and judge the new trilogy once I watch it.

Same here, I personally never thought the prequels were bad, just mediocre/serviceable films (heck, I personally enjoy III as much IV).

Anyways as for the purchase itself, it is simply a good business decision, similar to Disney's purchase of Marvel. Disney gets to expand and diversify their consumer outreach and Lucasfilms properties get access to the resources of the #1 media company in the world. Also I don't see the existence of a VII film to be really anymore "blasphemous" than the existence of the Expanded Universe in comics, novels, and video games. Star Wars is a mega-franchise it would be bad business to actually ever try to "end" the franchise.
I do wonder what VII will be about though, is going to try to adapt stories from the EU? Or will it retcon it something original, or will it be something original that does not retcon anything?

Top Bottom