Star Wars: Episode 7, 8... and BEYOND!

Ghost X

The expectations are gonna be so huge for this that they better have hired the best writers in the history of the planet to pull it off.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
The expectations are gonna be so huge for this that they better have hired the best writers in the history of the planet to pull it off.

Michael Arndt wrote the initial script and JJ Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan have now taken over writing duties. :monster:

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
Any news on what parts of the EU they're keeping and what parts they're throwing out yet? A rather large part of me hopes they keep everything Zahn wrote and throw out the works of the less, shall we say, competent authors, but I doubt it'll be that simple :/

Glad they're not recasting the major roles.

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
From what I've heard, they aren't actually keeping any pre-existing stories or characters from the EU, but they will be using them as inspiration.

Also, for some odd reason they have changed the name of Korriban to Moraband. Not sure why, they left everything else about it exactly the same.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
That's disappointing. Mara Jade, Thrawn, and Pellaeon don't deserve to be de-canonised. :sadpanda:

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
I think it's likely that they'll appropriate a fair bit of it like they did for the prequel films, but just not in name. I'm not too worried about it, in any case. If memory serves me right were a fair few disparities in the way certain EU characters were written so there's probably leeway for characters that they do bring in.

Absolutely unsurprised by their choice of time setting, since it's exactly the same thing they did with Indiana Jones. :monster: It was probably more fun for Indiana Jones, too, since despite the quality of that sequel there was certainly a new, fresh time frame and a fun 70s design to it.

I'm kind of interested in how the sequel trilogy for Star Wars will look aesthetically - whether they'll bring back the sleek, clean pre-war aesthetic of the prequel trilogy, or go the other way and go deeper into the cobbled, semi-grungy look of the original trilogy.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Well, yeah, but until recently my understanding was that anything in the EU that wasn't directly contradicted by the films was considered canon (obviously the prequel trilogy contradicted some parts of the books that were written earlier, which to be honest, probably wasn't that good a trade-off since Zahn's books were better than the PT ever was). But obviously that's not the case now :/

I'm kind of interested in how the sequel trilogy for Star Wars will look aesthetically - whether they'll bring back the sleek, clean pre-war aesthetic of the prequel trilogy, or go the other way and go deeper into the cobbled, semi-grungy look of the original trilogy.
The fact that they're going for 35mm film suggests that they're going to go at least partially old-school with the new films, but I dunno.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I'm still shocked that people are shocked. When Lucas was at the helm, he made it clear that he defined the canon as the stuff he had worked on, and everything else (including all that didn't contradict his stuff) was still an alternate timeline.

Top Bottom