Star Wars: Episode 7, 8... and BEYOND!

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I wonder. He did tweet that from James Cameron's twitter. Is it really at the SW7 set? Probably a different project.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Announcement:

The Star Wars team is thrilled to announce the cast of Star Wars: Episode VII.

Actors John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson, and Max von Sydow will join the original stars of the saga, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew, and Kenny Baker in the new film.

Director J.J. Abrams says, "We are so excited to finally share the cast of Star Wars: Episode VII. It is both thrilling and surreal to watch the beloved original cast and these brilliant new performers come together to bring this world to life, once again. We start shooting in a couple of weeks, and everyone is doing their best to make the fans proud."

Star Wars: Episode VII is being directed by J.J. Abrams from a screenplay by Lawrence Kasdan and Abrams. Kathleen Kennedy, J.J. Abrams, and Bryan Burk are producing, and John Williams returns as the composer

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
cV1uGqF.jpg

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
The only one of the new names I recognised immediately was Andy Serkis, but apparently Bill Weasley is also going to be in this.

Pixel

The Pixie King
I find Domhnall Gleeson a bit wish-washy. It might just be that "About Time" was a badly written soppy mess of ickiness. But even in Black Mirror, he was just there... though he was playing a sort of robot replicating human emotion

Gym Leader Devil

True Master of the Dark-type (suck it Piers)
AKA
So many names
Alright everybody, fuck off and go home. Tetsujin just won the internet, so there's really no point in dragging this thing out hunting second place :reapermon:

Danseru-kun

Pro Adventurer
John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson, and Max von Sydow

It is really a SW tradition to have only one significant female character per trilogy!? Even if you add Carrie Fisher and the old cast as significant that's 1 female per 6 male. Bad ratio. If this SW is entirely fresh there's no reason to uphold the "one woman per trilogy" rule. I hope they feature female Jedis now because there's only one is six movies and she didn't even had a single line while male Jedis speak all the time.

I do hope they add more if not I'll be very biased against this new entry. This is 2014 they better know better.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson, and Max von Sydow

It is really a SW tradition to have only one significant female character per trilogy!? Even if you add Carrie Fisher and the old cast as significant that's 1 female per 6 male. Bad ratio. If this SW is entirely fresh there's no reason to uphold the "one woman per trilogy" rule. I hope they feature female Jedis now because there's only one is six movies and she didn't even had a single line while male Jedis speak all the time.

I do hope they add more if not I'll be very biased against this new entry. This is 2014 they better know better.

Yeah, and it's not like Lucasfilm don't know how popular some of the female Jedi characters have been.

Even the EU is chockablock full of them. The Clone Wars had a whole heap of episodes solely focused on female characters/Jedi (many from the film canon).

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I imagine its still gonna be three main main characters again, and will thus be two guys and a girl. And the girl might even be the main protagonist. Serkis is almost certain to be the voice of an alien.
In short, I think people might be jumping the gun a bit on the outrage considering we don't even know the main character.

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
I can't say I really understand the outrage, given that this is neither a Star Wars only thing, or a new thing for Star Wars.

Remember the Avengers? It had two important female characters. I suppose it could be three if you count Pepper, but she was barely in the movie. Aside from that it was a male dominated movie. Thats about the same number of important female characters that are going to be in Episode VII, going by current information.

There wasn't really any outrage about it in that instance either before or after the movie was released that I saw.

Its the same way with lots of movies like this, so I'm confused as to why this movie is getting outrage over it. Especially given that we don't actually know anything about this film at all aside from who the main actors are.

We have no idea about side and supporting actors or characters, or which of the new actors are getting which roles.

Like Force said, for all the information we have right now, the new female character could be the central protagonist of the movie.

The simple fact is this movie is still very early in its development, and we know pretty much jack shit about it.

At this time I really don't think there is any reason to be outraged. So lets all just sit back and see how this thing develops.

Danseru-kun

Pro Adventurer
Some sources say Lupita Nyong'o has a role and I do hope so.

This case is different from the Avengers. The MCU has been building the team through different movies and Black Widow is the only known human female fighter featured. That's why when Maria Hill gets added it's seen as an effort from the producers. I don't complain either at Captain America because it's a WWII-based film and Peggy's presence is even unlikely during that period.

As for the reboot Star Trek, the reason I don't go with the angry feminist bandwagon is that the original team is really one woman, six men and that they elevated Uhura's role. I have issues but I'm not that angry. As for Pacific Rim, getting a woman of color as a main lead in that kind of sci fi is incredibly rare, and that dampened the outrage for having only one woman speak in the film.

This new SW is fresh, there's no reason to limit the cast again into a one-woman rule. Even if Daisy's the main character, it wouldn't make no sense that there's no prominent female politician, Jedi, pirate, villain or anything in such a vast and advanced galactic society.

I'm not saying that it would certainly be sexist, but if there's angry people like me who can pressure the producers to do better, then it would be good. It's better to complain now than stay quiet and just suck up whatever the final product then later regret that I didn't join the campaign for more IMPORTANT female characters.

Last edited:

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
May the 4th be with you. :awesome:

Top Bottom