• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Star Wars: Episode 7, 8... and BEYOND!

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
So, once upon a time, this tweet happened.

And then mar decided to watch and live tweet her entire experience watching the Star Wars films, and basically ALL of Star Wars Twitter was watching along with her (and just a ridiculous amount of people from Lucasfilm and everything, too). It was a goddamn rollercoaster of delightful, pure, and raw emotions, where her Internet would just straight up stop and we'd be left on cliffhangers during massive moments.

And the follow-up has just been so lovely:

Also, she's gonna be live tweeting Solo in a little bit, and just. THIS. THIS is the type of Star Wars fandom that we've needed to have spotlighted for such a long time, because it is the antithesis of all of the loud negativity.

X :neo:

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
That was what I meant, yes. Can't find the right tone, though.

In other news, I'm actually reading some of the leaks for 9, and at least some of em are pretty crazy. Normally, I'd never do that, but I need to find some hype somewhere.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
I think that it's one of the things that like with my view of Return of the Jedi, that it'll be decent on its own even if it's not the strongest film, but with the surrounding context of the other films it might elevate it a TON. (I always decently liked RotJ, but after my first time doing Machete Order, that film hit me like it never had before).

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
Has this been mentioned?

Did no one tell Bob Igor freely admitting to this was a terrible idea? Or does that asshole simply not care since he'll still make that money?

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
I'll be honest, I don't see why this is a big deal. From my understanding GL was promised nothing in regards to whether his plot outlines would be used. I can understand why hed be upset about it, whatever his flaws its clear the man was always passionate about his creation, but he had to understand that that was always going to be a possibility if he sold the rights to anyone.

Edit: As an aside, I think HelloGreedos video on the subject provides a level headed assesment of the whole thing. I can't really post a link right now since my phone is crap, so I wont hold it against anyone if they don't feel like hunting the video down on my word.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
That video is a ridiculously exaggerated take on the whole thing.

Like 6 mins in it dives into the the whole tirade around "The current sequel trilogy wasn't planned and you can never convince me that it was because it's definitely all damage control, but George Lucas definitely had plans and what they might have been would definitely have maybe been better than what we're getting now, so please still be mad. Also, the only reason that the lead character is a female is a Disney PR move." and then just cascades into angry hot take ranting and speculation trying to throw classic scapegoats like Kathleen Kennedy into the line of fire over it.

A few things:

The original trilogy wasn't planned. It was made up movie-by-movie, with TESB almost being conceived at the last second, and there are almost limitless examples of that. Luke's sister was supposed to've been a fully trained Jedi on the other end of the galaxy before it was Leia, not to mention being highly politically messaged all the time. (Seriously, Phil Szostak's whole Star Wars Mythbuster thread is the best counter to SO DAMN much of this false perspective of George Lucas' vision & scripts and story).

Things like angry, old Luke Skywalker was something directly conceived and approved by George Lucas, and Kira (who became Rey) as the main female lead of the films was also conceived by George Lucas, and the idea of Star Wars diving into the microbiological universe with the Whills is... interesting but VERY understandably a reason for a, "we will keep you as a consultant, but not use your script" capacity.

Even when it comes to George Lucas, he actively rewrites his own scripts during the process of filming:
“For three years I do nothing but rewrite the script. I get a cut of the film, look at it & say, ‘Okay, what do I need? How is the story working? How can I mold it?’... It’s not just laid out & I follow it.” - George Lucas, 2017

It's basically just clickbait for making people who're already angry feel justified about it, without actually looking at what it means in context, but instead, strawmanning it against a vision that isn't anything like how George Lucas actually made the films.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
Not a big deal, really.

I mean, I do feel the SW fanbase tends to be enormously cruel to George, but that's things like all those baseless memes about how he can't direct, edit, or needs other people to take away his work for it to be good. This isn't that kind of thing.

It's Bob Iger doing his job in getting the best deal for Disney. His book isn't for star wars fans, it's for his CV, where 'I get good deals for the shareholders' is a positive.

Edit: So that apology to George at 11:30 or so is important, but Bob was just doing his job.

Last edited:

Roundhouse

Pro Adventurer
Thanks for the link to that Mar twitter, her reactions to the movies were hilarious.

On the note of SW as a whole, I actually don't mind the new stuff. Force Awakens was decent, and Last Jedi was fine too aside from one element that I still disagree with -- the depiction of Luke. I don't think RJ got that part right, but he did a good job with the other stuff. Curious to see the new one coming out, and also the Kenobi TV series.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Oh my gods, that might be one of the most beautiful things that I've ever seen.

Also, normally the /MEDIA tag is how you'd embed stuff, but I'm not sure why it isn't liking the Instagram video link.

ADDITIONALLY THERE'S AN IMPORTANT PSA TO BE AWARE OF:

The final Rise of Skywalker trailer is supposedly dropping with Monday Night Football either tonight on the 14th or next week on the 21st, and tickets are supposed to go on sale when they do. Keep your eyes out on theaters and whatnot if you wanna secure good seats.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
Based on the recent trailers, plus the ending already hinted to be
conhesive due to what JJ Adams mentioned hours ago today, and Rey ending up falling into the darkness,
and already the next trilogy is set to begin in 2022 and end in 2026, maybe they should've used the
"Darkness will prevail and Light will expire" for the Skywalker Saga instead of Kingdom Hearts since the current saga of Star Wars is looking likely for the Light(Aka: The Jedi) now all gone and the Darkness(Aka: The Sith) once again dominating the Universe and will win which throws the happy ending in Episode 6 back in the early 80's out of the window.

I'm not a Star Wars fan, but at the moment, well...that's how I'm seeing it right now. However, the next Saga may hopefully be a different story and keep things going.

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
akrwl0s710u31.png

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
So, I'm likely gonna go dark on this thread pretty soon, but there were a couple of little details that makes me excited for what the film is gonna hold that the trailer hasn't hinted at, but I thought was pretty exciting.

The Ghost appears prominently in the lineup of all of the Resistance/Rebel ships. I'm really hoping that that means that we're going to be able to follow up on the threads from the end of Star Wars Rebels in some media and find out whether or not Jacen Syndulla attended Luke's Jedi Academy, and potentially ended up as one of the Knights of Ren. I doubt that we'll get a confirmation of that directly in the film, but even having that setup in place, so that another show or book or something could connect those dots later would be really great.

Rey has a dagger in her off-hand (in the scene where her and Ben are breaking the thing that's holding Vader's mask). I'm quite curious if this is some sort of artifact and gives a little hint that there are some really interesting stuff we'll get to explore. That along with the massive throne makes me think that we'll get to see a lot of interesting stuff like that with Rey and Ben.

Also, I had to stay up until 8 in the morning until the site updated – but I also managed to get my tickets on the opening day and in 3D (which I didn't know that that theater did), which I'm extra excited about. :D

Top Bottom