• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Star Wars: Episode 7, 8... and BEYOND!

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
....That review's hyperbolic title pretty much sums up what you'd expect from Star Wars fandom in 2020.

Oh my God.

Like, I don't know what happened but something has snapped with some Star Wars fans. Like, I don't know if it's cause it's old, Lucas is gone, or what but the amount of just. Like, even if you didn't like the sequels and thought they were completely awful, they can't ruin the originals. There's no "irreparable" harm. The sequels suck, the end. The original still exist and are awesome.

Harrison Ford never was coming back for a full sequel, period. He was done with Star Wars. He only would do it if Han was killed off for good. So he'd be dead anyways. Carrie Fisher unfortunately died and wouldn't have been around either much longer either. Mark Hamill, well we might get Luke back, but not young main character Luke. He would have been a mentor character. New blood was required. It's like... Yeah, the sequels weren't what you wanted. Okay. However, this hyperbolic apocalyptic nay-saying over it blows my mind.

Lucas fucked up never making the sequel he wanted when he had the chance. I don't know why he didn't and settled for prequels. We wouldn't be in this position if he had just nutted up, made the sequel and moved on :monster:

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
Mako, this is nothing new about 2020, just look at all the prequel hate, where people were openly throwing death threats and calling George a rapist. The SW fanbase has been spewing hatred for no reason since the Special Editions.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
It could be great for all I know, but no, I don't expect it to generate much excitement. Nor even get made in the end as the result, for that matter.

But then, they still seem intent on going through with what I think is an oddly conceived Cassian Andor series, and that's about someone from one of the best movies. So what do I know? :monster:

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
A trying to tell a story told from the perspective of a bandaged up Sith cultist and a super extreme Imperial navy (even more out there then Sloane or even Hux) could be original I suppose, after the rethread that JJ gave us it'd be something truly new anyway, but I agree with Tres about it not making it through development.

Glaurung

Forgot the cutesy in my other pants. Sorry.
AKA
Mama Dragon
....That review's hyperbolic title pretty much sums up what you'd expect from Star Wars fandom in 2020.

Oh my God.

Like, I don't know what happened but something has snapped with some Star Wars fans. Like, I don't know if it's cause it's old, Lucas is gone, or what but the amount of just. Like, even if you didn't like the sequels and thought they were completely awful, they can't ruin the originals. There's no "irreparable" harm. The sequels suck, the end. The original still exist and are awesome.

Harrison Ford never was coming back for a full sequel, period. He was done with Star Wars. He only would do it if Han was killed off for good. So he'd be dead anyways. Carrie Fisher unfortunately died and wouldn't have been around either much longer either. Mark Hamill, well we might get Luke back, but not young main character Luke. He would have been a mentor character. New blood was required. It's like... Yeah, the sequels weren't what you wanted. Okay. However, this hyperbolic apocalyptic nay-saying over it blows my mind.

Lucas fucked up never making the sequel he wanted when he had the chance. I don't know why he didn't and settled for prequels. We wouldn't be in this position if he had just nutted up, made the sequel and moved on :monster:

SW and Star Trek fandom has always been like this for too many years. It's OK to like something, but there are people who invest so much time of their lives on a fictional universe that they lose touch with reality when creating their own headcanons, and anything, any little thing that deviates from that is received with very strong emotions. More than one actor/actress had to put up with death threats, and being a kid didn't save them.

I strongly disliked both the prequels and the last trilogy because they are a lost oportunity to tell a good story, but that's where I draw the line. You don't like it? Fine, share your opinion, comment why you didn't like it, but then forget you ever watched it and move on with your life. Such amount of vitriol only tell me that these people have no life to speak of.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
That's such a weird board. 'Alright everyone, remember, stories have feelings in them'

My 'no cameos or tie ins' preference stands, but doubt they can resist.

Edit: Okay, more seriously now that I've looked into things a bit.

I guess the best word to encompass this for me is 'puzzling'.

Brainstorming boards aren't supposed to make sense, and they don't want to show us anything too spoilery, so I'll back away from that.

You want to give your authors a clean slate to work with. Cool. Great.

...why set this in 200 BBY? Now they have to work within the 1,000 years of peace, which is a large constraint they don't need.
. You have a golden opportunity to work from a clean slate either after TROS or before 1,000 BBY.

All the Old Republic stuff isn't canon anymore, so you can basically do whatever you like between Atch To and 1000 BBY. They want to stay out of the way of films in the period, but those can just be set elsewhere in space or time.

I'm not defaulting to love or hate, I'm just confused.

Last edited:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Looks like some folks were able to buy the novelization of TRoS early at C2E2. Palpatine's return has a simple explanation that really could have easily been in the film:

DbBv7Sc.jpg

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
....Uh, I thought that was the explanation. :monster:

Palaptine was in a rotting clone body, and he had used Snoke, another imperfect clone, as a dummy-duplicate to enact his will from the shadows.

I thought that was always the implication in the film.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Well what other implication was there with the tanker full of Snokes, his rotting body hooked up to a life-support machine, and him looking like one of those dead bodies in that lake Frodo fell in, in LOTR? :monster:

I mean, there was no way he could have actually survived his fall in the Death Star, into its energy core, then it blowing up, and its remains crashing into a planet. I figured when he died, he had a clone body on standby somewhere, and that's how he had been maintaining himself through his sick, twisted existence.

I mean, I thought it was an attempt at the movie trying to "show" not "tell" lol.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Of course it was a possible explanation. Possibly even the most likely one given that his spirit moving into a clone body was how he returned in the old EU. Given the apparent damage to the body, though (such as the missing fingertips), people could be forgiven for wondering if those were supposed to be the same fingers that were firing Force Lightning at the moment of Palpatine's death in RotJ.

As I've said before, the precise mechanics of Palpatine's return are nothing I couldn't live without.

The point is that the movie rarely allowed itself to settle into a scene or have its characters talk about what was happening rather than react to things because of the frantic pace -- when it easily could have done. That scene with Kylo and Palpatine could have, at no difficulty, been written in a way that tells the viewer what's what while also showing Kylo as more studious, perceptive, and wary than he came off on the screen --

-- e.g.,

Kylo: I've studied the war you started enough to know what I'm looking at. Your potions and machines can barely keep that decrepit clone body going [with your spirit consuming it from inside]. What are you expecting to get out of this?

(possibly without the bit in brackets)

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
Hmm. Maybe. That does end up setting the audience thinking about the mechanics of cloning in the middle of the scene, though, raising all kinds of questions like 'why not just make a new body' 'can Kylo sabotage his clone juice bottle' which have to be addressed when you're supposed to be going 'oh crap he's back'. It's like that HISHE video where Snoke goes on a long speech explaining his origins in the throne room in TLJ.

It dos foreshadow potential for Palpatine possessing Rey later on, but also raises questions like 'why is Kylo not afraid of being possessed, or Palpy just body hopping?' Once you get into those mechanics, you have to keep going.

What we got was 'Emperor hooked up to some kind of life support machine' which raises different questions like 'why did he not just take back his throne'. All Palpy needs to be dangerous is his ability to speak, it doesn't matter how bad his injuries are.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Those are valid points, of course, but they're easily addressed.

When Kylo is trying to turn Rey and tells her that they can bring order to the galaxy together (without Palpatine), that's the perfect time for him to say something like "Sith alchemy can keep him going only so long. His elixirs are nearly used up. His defective clone body nearly burned out. Soon, it will be our time to rise."

Then the viewer can go "Ohhh, it all makes sense now" when they find out he's been manipulating Kylo to get Rey's body.

Also -- probably more importantly than anything else -- this helps give the viewer a sense of confidence that Palpatine's defeat is more definitive this time.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Double-post, but it's the next day, so it doesn't count. =P

Someone out in the Tweeterverse said that the novelization describes the moment when Rey hears the Jedi voices during the finale to the conflict on Exegol as "it was like she was staring through a window to somewhere else, a place between places."

Sounds like it's meant to be The World Between Worlds. Now that it's been pointed out, I can kind of see it since Rey's sight goes past Granpappy Palp's lightning and settles on a tranquil starfield (the backdrop of TWBW).

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
Compelling points, but now I'm wondering where Kylo got his crash course in Sith alchemy and spirit possession.

It might have been doable, depending on what the reshoots were and what sets they still had access to. My impression of TROS is that few of those involved were actually happy with the final product and just ran up tight against the deadline, and had to get as complete a film as possible out the door. It could've been a 'Palpatine's back somehow, let the novelisation sort it out.'

I'm still hoping DOTF final draft leaks at some point.

Top Bottom