Star Wars will be re-released, in 3-D

Max Caulfield

shaka brah
AKA
Chi, Trollzaya, Dean Winchester, Black Widow
That's right, Lucas, you milk that cash cow... and lose all respect that fans hold for you.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
To be honest, I'm just happy to have the chance to see them on the big screen :)

edit; oh shit, then I'd be giving Lucas more money... ffffff oh well :monster:

Russell

.. ? ..
AKA
King of the Potato People
I wouldn't mind seeing the originals on the big screen, but they will be that fake 2D converted into 3D crap. Not real 3D :(

But reactions to the news about Star Wars have been mixed.

"Watching TPM (The Phantom Menace) in 3D would be like the car actually crashing into your face as opposed to just unfolding before your eyes," British Star Trek actor and science fiction fan Simon Pegg said on micro-blogging site Twitter.

I agree with Simon Pegg. :P

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
"Watching TPM (The Phantom Menace) in 3D would be like the car actually crashing into your face as opposed to just unfolding before your eyes,"

i pissed myself a little laughing

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
Doesn't surprise me. Lucas is and always will be a Technology fetishist, trying to push it as far as it will go. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't.

I will reserve judgement.
And TPM was a disappointment as a complex narrative (mostly due to a few poor decisions rather than the whole of it being awful. A few 'small' changes and you get a much better film) but it is a visual spectacle.

Seriously, though, ILM are at the top SFX wise. They can make SW look good in 3D if no one else can.

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
it saddens me that people will actually shell out $15 to see this piece of shit twice

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
it saddens me that people will actually shell out $15 to see this piece of shit twice

They shelled out to see Titantic 20 times, they shelled out to see Avatar at least twice.

No, I mean what I said. Man's a bit crazy about spiffy new SFX techniques, and his company pioneered a damn lot of them, often at a crazy cost they later recouped. Young Indiana Jones series, anyone?

It's not just Lucas either, though it seems he has become the face of the Devil among fandoms recently, since everyone else is hopping on the bandwagon, with 3D Shrek and Potter releases.

I'm not saying he doesn't expect to turn a profit. I'm saying the man's nutty enough to do it anyways, screw the money.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Someone needs to put a bullet into the head of that Star Wars zombie.

And throw Lucas into a Sarlacc.

It's like George Lucas knows he can't make a good movie anymore so he'll just re-release the same three movies ever few years and just wipe his ass with hundred dollar bills.

Glaurung

Forgot the cutesy in my other pants. Sorry.
AKA
Mama Dragon
No, I mean what I said. Man's a bit crazy about spiffy new SFX techniques, and his company pioneered a damn lot of them, often at a crazy cost they later recouped. Young Indiana Jones series, anyone?

It's not just Lucas either, though it seems he has become the face of the Devil among fandoms recently, since everyone else is hopping on the bandwagon, with 3D Shrek and Potter releases.

I'm not saying he doesn't expect to turn a profit. I'm saying the man's nutty enough to do it anyways, screw the money.

I see your point and, while I agree that he really loves new technology and he was a pioneer in many ways, at least he could have applied said love to new stories, instead of living out of a spark of genius he had some fourty years ago.

And, screw the money? We all know there are a lot of fanatics that would gladly give any amount of money for anything SW related.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X

Same thing is true of James Cameron. If you watched the special features for Terminator 2, you find out that most of the technology to make the T-1000 didn't exist, and they made it as they went along, and almost weren't able to pull it off.

The only thing I'm nervous about is whether or not it translates well, because post-edit 3D is usually noticeably inferior to filmed 3D.

Honestly, I don't really understand the hatred of adding depth perception to visual media. 3D Technology is progressing a LOT, because it's being pushed so damn hard in the mainstream media. It's moving towards better quality, and even ones that don't require glasses. The idea of immersion behind the technology is solid, and even moreso when applied to gaming. Head tracking to create a 3D Effect is impressive and immersive, (I'm hoping that some Developer uses the PS3's facetracking capabilitites to pull this off, since it's been shown to do it, and doesn't require a 3D Capable tv to mimic the effect). I think that when the technology is refined it's likely going to become the standard, and people will wonder why anyone complained about it and wanted to go back to looking at flat images.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
I don't think people necessarily hate the technological advancement. People hate how it's tacked on to almost each and every film as a gimmick that in the end, only serves to add 2 dollars to a movie ticket.

Resident Evil Afterlife didn't become a better movie because it was 3D. Saw in 3D won't become cooler or more scary in 3D. Half the fucking movies in 3D are still the same fucking shit that doesn't really incorporate the 3D into the viewing experience at all. It's a gimmick.

A film like Avatar, did. Inception, would've been awesome in 3D. A film should fully incorporate the technology. Not just tack it on like a toy in a cereal box.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
Ironically I thought Toy Story 3 had the best implementation of 3D simply because it was so subtle it was barely existent. :monster:

So Lucas wants to re-release in 3D? I doubt it'll be released everywhere. I'd see it for the reason that I haven't seen a Star Wars movie on a big screen proper for a very, very long time and it's an experience I'd like to feel again at some point.

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
Excellent! I've always wanted to see Jar-Jar in 3-D.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
Excellent! I've always wanted to see Jar-Jar in 3-D.
jar-jar-binks.jpg

When a 20 feet tall Jar-Jar is jumping out of the screen at you, you'd be making that face too.

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
I see your point and, while I agree that he really loves new technology and he was a pioneer in many ways, at least he could have applied said love to new stories, instead of living out of a spark of genius he had some fourty years ago.

And, screw the money? We all know there are a lot of fanatics that would gladly give any amount of money for anything SW related.

A damn lot of them. My point is Lucas would do this even were they not there, as he has done in the past with things like the Young Indiana Jones series, which was itself technically a wash, but which pioneered a lot of new techniques.

Same thing is true of James Cameron. If you watched the special features for Terminator 2, you find out that most of the technology to make the T-1000 didn't exist, and they made it as they went along, and almost weren't able to pull it off.

The only thing I'm nervous about is whether or not it translates well, because post-edit 3D is usually noticeably inferior to filmed 3D.

Very very true. Still, though, ILM. We shall just have to wait and see.

Honestly, I don't really understand the hatred of adding depth perception to visual media. 3D Technology is progressing a LOT, because it's being pushed so damn hard in the mainstream media. It's moving towards better quality, and even ones that don't require glasses. The idea of immersion behind the technology is solid, and even moreso when applied to gaming. Head tracking to create a 3D Effect is impressive and immersive, (I'm hoping that some Developer uses the PS3's facetracking capabilitites to pull this off, since it's been shown to do it, and doesn't require a 3D Capable tv to mimic the effect). I think that when the technology is refined it's likely going to become the standard, and people will wonder why anyone complained about it and wanted to go back to looking at flat images.

It has to do with the uncanny valley and the gimmickness of it at the moment. A lot of times it's really just tacked on and does not work at all well.

I don't think people necessarily hate the technological advancement. People hate how it's tacked on to almost each and every film as a gimmick that in the end, only serves to add 2 dollars to a movie ticket.

Resident Evil Afterlife didn't become a better movie because it was 3D. Saw in 3D won't become cooler or more scary in 3D. Half the fucking movies in 3D are still the same fucking shit that doesn't really incorporate the 3D into the viewing experience at all. It's a gimmick.

A film like Avatar, did. Inception, would've been awesome in 3D. A film should fully incorporate the technology. Not just tack it on like a toy in a cereal box.

I'd definitely prefer he did the technique on a new film rather than SW, but the thing I'm curious and also worried about is if he might be using this as a test for doing the hypothetical live SW show in 3D, especially given his recent exaggerations about how much it might cost an episode.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
Bad movies won't become awesome because of 3D. And the good ones are too old for it, we know it, Lucas.

I can understand he'd want to play with it, but how about, making a movie filmed FOR 3D with real plot and awesome characterz, orz.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
Like someone mentioned there might be a live-action show with the dark-and-gritty centred around bounty hunters and regular joes without any of the Jedi antics.

That's fresh I suppose

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
It's like George Lucas knows he can't make a good movie anymore so he'll just re-release the same three movies ever few years and just wipe his ass with hundred dollar bills.

^. Did he ever do anything after Star Wars and co? (no, Indiana Jones and the aliens of outer spaec don't count)

Guy should make new movies instead of continuing to hammer on a 30 year old one.

Top Bottom