STORY TIME! - My "Eight NES Classics"

Nandemoyasan

Standing guard
AKA
Johnny
File this under the 'just for fun' category, but...

Yesterday, I got Mega Man 1 delivered through USPS after buying it on Amazon last week, completing a goal I've had since I was 10 years old and first got a NES. I have eight NES games which I consider to be the quintessential carts on the system. Perhaps there are many other NES games I could include, but when I was a kid in the early 90's, these were the 8 games that had characters featured in television shows, those being:

The Super Mario Bros. Super Show

The Legend of Zelda

and

Captain N: The Game Master.

My "8 NES Classics" list is therefore limited to these 8 games based on 10-year-old me's logic. And 8 was chosen as the cutoff number by 10-year-old me as it seemed appropriate for an 8-bit system. The list is therefore inherently reductive; perhaps I subconsciously designed it to keep myself from wanting to buy too many games.

However, I am open to suggestions for where to go next on my NES collection, going forward. I could use the diversion from the current state of things, honestly, and if you could too, then go ahead and rec me some NES games, on the condition they not be part of the series above. Obviously getting the sequels, spinoffs and/or prequels to these 8 games (if any) would be nice, but I'm looking for other unique entries. I am very familiar with the library of the NES; this is why I am asking for suggestions, not because I don't know of any other games on the system, but because I know about them all, and can't quite make up my mind. 10-year-old logic somehow has evaded a 38-year-old man, heh.

So, which other NES games do you think are "Classic?" There are a great many which are even on the NES Classic Mini which made me think "What? Why?*" How about you?

* "Balloon Fight?"
bzmk4CZ.png

Jairus

Author of FFVII: Lifestream & FFVII: Reflections
Shadowgate. Without a doubt.

1059384984-00.jpg

Incredibly atmospheric for an 8-bit game, and the music is rich and unforgettable. The graphics are very good for the system as well. It's a puzzle game in a fantasy setting, and you have to think your way through rather than rely on reflexes to get you through. It's an all-time favorite game of mine, of any system. Here's the main theme:

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
I had my cousin install extra Nintendo games on my NES classic. You'd think I would've just opted for every game I could get. Nope! Just the games I had or my cousins had. Besides Super Mario 3, River City Ransom will always be in my top 1 or 2 NES games

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
This is already a very solid selection. I always liked Bubble Bobble myself.

I wasn't really old enough to make the same kind of memories with the NES as I did with the SNES though. If you're getting into collecting, I think moving onto the SNES might be the way to go.

Top Bottom