Stranger Things

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X

This looks really excellent. Lots of nostalgia in the setting and time period and all that is probably influencing my opinion, but I have no issues with that at all since that's probably a bit of he point. SUPER looking forward ta this.

X :neo:

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
I just finished episode 1.

The urge to binge watch it is fucking immense. This is right up there with Fargo Season 1 and 2. Great freaking television.

hian

Purist
Started binge-watching it two days ago, and finished it yesterday. Yes, I thought it was brilliant too.
Everything I want from a series.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
Want to watch.

But.

Also.

I don't want to watch yet another series where the writers themselves don't really know what the fuck is going on, like Lost was. I'm not saying this is going to be like that for sure
obviously there is aliens involved OR IS THERE?!
but yeah. I'd prefer it if I could know for sure that the writers know the full story arc before the series starts airing :monster:

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
Just finished it.

Yup. Right up there with Fargo's first 2 seasons. This show is brilliant. I really really want more of this lol.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
Man that's bad ass and fits so well thematically with
how she literally died/teleported? in a cloud of ashes lol.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
This was the best thing in ages X I'm gonna come to your house and paint a 9 ft swan on your living room wall.

And I want moar of it. Although i read someone in a comments section saying wouldn't it be good if the next series was set in the 90's and in the style of Tarantino or Tim Burton and never before have I wanted to punch someone over the internet so fast.

Clearly the next series has to be with the same characters cos of unresolved raisins. I like it though because the overall story arc was completed. and the things im thinking about are more 'hmmmmm' than 'arrrrrgh' if that makes any sense.

And I didn't hate any of the characters except for the ones you're obviously supposed to hate.

Also, Johnathan and Daryl from the walking dead should be in a thing together.

AvecAloes

Donator
Watched the first two episodes last night with Micah (or was it the first three? I'm not sure, we were on the couch for a while), and we're pretty well hooked. I'm certain we'll finish the rest of it this weekend.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
This was the best thing in ages X I'm gonna come to your house and paint a 9 ft swan on your living room wall.

This is my new favourite compliment evar. :awesomonster:

And I want moar of it. Although i read someone in a comments section saying wouldn't it be good if the next series was set in the 90's and in the style of Tarantino or Tim Burton and never before have I wanted to punch someone over the internet so fast.

Same.

x2

Clearly the next series has to be with the same characters cos of unresolved raisins. I like it though because the overall story arc was completed. and the things im thinking about are more 'hmmmmm' than 'arrrrrgh' if that makes any sense.

Yes this, and this is also how I think about the things.

And I didn't hate any of the characters except for the ones you're obviously supposed to hate.

Also, Johnathan and Daryl from the walking dead should be in a thing together.

Best. Just the best all around.

That was fantastic. I'm amazed at how well they blended Stephen King and Stephen Spielberg, and the soundtrack... Ugh. I don't normally pay attention to it, but my god they made all the right choices.
I only have one real complaint outside of small continuity error type things. At one point, I wasn't sure what was a flashback, and what wasn't. I don't think they made it quite clear enough.
When the Sheriff is at the bar celebrating his daughters spelling bee victory. I get the impression that it's a flashback, based on the daughter thing, but then everything else says it's not. When the eps ended, I wasn't sure if it was still a flashback or not. I didn't recognize the kids body as Will, since he's dead as hell, and we didn't see him all that much, really. I thought it might have still been a flashback to his "daughters spelling bee", since he was wearing the same clothes, and this was telling how his daughter ended up dying. I get that he likes to pretend that his daughter is still alive, but that didn't come across at the time. I guess I should have realized when the guy said he found the Byers boy, but I honestly didn't remember their last name.

The child actors are fucking amazing. I can't say enough good things about them. And the way all the characters stories coke together, and inform each other, and mixing both the adult and kids stories together was just perfect.

One more minor complaint/praise.
The cg on the monster wasn't that great, but they hid it decently with the flashing lights, which also plays well into the 80s feel they were going for.

Also some the set up was fantastic. Little dropped lines come back and inform important scenes like 6eps later, and they don't explain things, they have enough faith in the audience to put 2 and 2 together.

Rreeally good show. Do we know how they're gonna progress with a season 2? Continue the story? Do an anthology type series similar to American Horror Story?

God, they nailed the 80s feel. Even down to the tupperware that's barely on screen. I had that exact tupperware when I was a kid.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
I think the flashback that wasn't a flashback, it was like we were supposed to start off thinking that is what it was, but then it was all just the sheriff pretending so he could get chatting to that other guy and get information out of him (which he ends up having to beat him up anyways)

Yeah, I got it eventually. At the time though I was pretty confused as to which it was. Didn't seem like the kindof guy to use his dead daughter in a ruse to get close to a suspect

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
I really like that
they used all the D&D stuff as a way to make minor meta explanations at the end about the little things that they didn't dig into during this season.
I really feel like binge-watching through it again at some point, and just appreciating all the little details of proper 80s tech and stuff (here's a rad article on that).

Also, the fact that they use shots and other things that are clearly homages to 70s, 80s, and other films, but they do them RIGHT. They never feel like, "Oh, this shot of them is obviously a re-creation of that one shot from E.T." such that even when you watch videos that line up those shots side-by-side, it just makes it clear that they're meant to be evocative of that material and not just ripping it off (Note: Under The Skin is one of my favourite references that Stranger Things uses not in the previous video).

Two other random facts:
• They tested their idea for the series by cutting together a fake trailer for the show, using clips from more than 25 movies.
• They auditioned 906 boys and 307 girls to find their young leads.

Lastly, here's an article/review that is just spectacular at capturing a chunk of my thoughts: http://io9.gizmodo.com/stranger-things-is-a-nerdy-story-that-is-so-much-more-t-1784070723

And here's another short that The Duffer Brothers did before this: http://io9.gizmodo.com/way-before-stranger-things-the-duffer-brothers-made-th-1784654774

Lex

Administrator
Oh I binge watched this entire thing in a day a couple of weeks ago, it's amazing. It was so good I actually want to watch it all again :monster:

Just binge'd it.

WI5mvFQ.gif

Got me mad. The big gate in the facility is still open. Is Hop working with the government now? Is Eleven still alive? Also fuck you for infecting Will with the slimes.

I don't see any signs of this series continuing, so the fact that stuff didn't get tied up makes me disappointed. I feel like I'm supposed to view the open ending as a good thing but I can't. Don't want to.

Damn it I loved binging this but the ending really got me down. >___<

Lex

Administrator
Season two is already in the works shad, relax :monster:

(as in it's not an ending so much as part one of a saga that hopefully continues for a few seasons)

Top Bottom