Suggesting ditching TLS IRC in favor of Discord

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
So, discord is a Skype competitor app I learned of recently, and it's fairly nifty. It allows for multiple text and voice channels, handles file transfers, embedded images, has notifications, has an app and a web form... it's good. And while the shoutbox is nice, it's hard to properly chat in since the messages vanish after a few replies.

Ergo, I'd like to suggest we all try discord. I've gone ahead and set up a basic server to act a a sandbox to talk, mess around in and get used to the whole shebang. Just follow the link below and it'll take you straight into the Server and you can chat, do voice, whatever.

https://discord.gg/0nhvMFeTMXjWYvZO

Hope to see you in there soon.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
This could be good. Whenever I try to remember to use IRC I make one comment, then completely forget I'm in there. :monster:

And then I see people responded to me an hour ago and I feel kind of bad. :P

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
Ehhh discord kinda sucks - lots of disconnects, a bit system heavy (at least on my crappy laptop I use for skype and...discord :oscar:), etc.

That said, the ability to adjust specific people's volumes is a MASSIVE boon. So...kinda lateral move, imo.

(I use it for ffxiv with my fc btw)

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
My other FFXIV Free Company uses Discord, it's pretty good.

Same. When I played FF14 around the time HW came out my FC also used Discord.

Honestly for a free application that seemingly came out of nowhere the feature set as well as back end (uses the same one as mumble) is really impressive.
The only reason I no longer use it is because my friends use Curse Voice instead , which comparatively sucks xD

Gonna reinstall Discord :D

edit:

Megs, Discord also has a web browser front end that you can use which should be more light weight than the actual desktop application. Have you tried that yet?
edit: Which is linked to in the OP. I am blind and dumb :reptar:

Splintered

unsavory tart
irc is ancient, I have nothing but utmost respect for the fact that people still use it. I have nothing to add. Just admiring how it stayed so long.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
IRC: Finis teknologi best teknologi.

4118TWTVDHL.jpg

Fangu

Great Old One
Hey, Twitch uses IRC :monster: I think it refuses to die. It's just too good.

But I don't see why not.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
IRC as a protocol is still very valid and probably better and more fleshed out than any of the competitors, but the problem with IRC is its clients, which are often not very sexy or easy to use. If there's a client with an easy channel list and history, I would've used that ages ago.

Actually, Slack is basically IRC with those few extras. It's not usable for the regular folks though, no easy way to get in a channel, limited history (paid feature), and unpayable business model for most users (like $5/user/month).

I dun really liek Skype either, but everyone's using it so idk.

...does Discord have custom smileys? :monster:

Top Bottom