• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Summary of the new FFVII novel

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Thread for the following article:

http://thelifestream.net/final-fantasy-vii/11751/summary-of-the-new-ffvii-novel/

Excerpt:

Site translator hitoshura has been kind enough to provide us with a chapter-by-chapter summary of the newest official FFVII novel, FINAL FANTASY VII Lateral Biography TURKS -The Kids Are Alright-. Released on December 15th, the book was written by Kazushige Nojima, writer of the original FFVII, as well as Crisis Core, Advent Children and the On the Way to a Smile novellas. As such, The Kids Are Alright is an authentic entry in the world of Final Fantasy VII.

Sadly, however, it had no official release outside of Japan. So, while you could still import it if you lived elsewhere, you wouldn’t be able to read it without some knowledge of the Japanese language.

Were the contents of this newest tale in Cloud Strife’s world, then, to be kept from us indefinitely? Blessedly, no. TheLifestream.net’s hitoshura has already stepped forward to provide his fellow fans with a rundown of the book’s main events.

This is to tide us over until he is able to provide a complete translation of the 354-page novel — an endeavour that is already under way, so be sure to check back in the future for updates about that.

What you’ll also find in this article: scans I’ve made of all the book’s artwork (illustrations by Shou Tajima), and my translation of a page from the beginning of the book that introduces several of the characters featured in the story. Additional thanks go to hito, by the way, for correcting me on a word I had mistranslated on that page.

So, if you’re ready to get caught up on the latest events in this world we all love, click upon “Read the rest of this entry” below.

Read the rest of this entry »

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Dammit. I'm not sure why it won't show up. I have it set to Public.

About to go to work too, so if Mako or anybody else with their finger on the button can take a look, I'd appreciate it greatly.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Yeah, I mean logged in to WordPress. Thanks for the info. I'm not sure why it isn't showing for everyone. WordPress is such a pain in the ass.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
So, who all can see the article without logging in to WordPress? I notice a couple of peeps have commented on it, but I still can't even see it without being logged in.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
You're welcome. =) (And my thanks go to Yop for helping to get it to working.) And give hito another round of thanks as well. The dude's awesome.

Winter

8ad 8r8k
AKA
oddishness, like vines, azula, femshep, winter
this is really neat

i would go as far as to say this novel has a better plot than advent children

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
I literally do not understand what the book is about. It seems like a collection of events rather than an actual narrative.

Can somebody please tell me?

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
The overall narrative seems to stem from 1) Evan's mother being missing and 2) this Tyran Arde guy hiring Evan and co. to find his son, Gould. They find evidence that Gould is in Nibelheim, so they go there and find him. Once there, they also learn some stuff about Evan's mom, including that she had been in Icicle Inn at some point.

They go to Icicle Inn and eventually discover the frozen body of Evan's mom, along with the bodies of several Sephiroth copies (who it had been her job to monitor). There's a piece of JENOVA with the bodies, and Kadaj has been after this for obvious reasons, which is why he's been botheing Evan (he thought Evan would be of use in finding the alien matter, presumably because of the job his mom had).

You know the rest.

Though I'll add that Evan started out with a fucked up family situation, and by the end of the story, he has formed a family for himself, like Cloud (with whom a parallel is established).

Does that help any? Sounded better in my head, but rereading it, I don't think it's going to help.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
I don't really see how the summary does not accomplish that. Keep in mind they are summaries of each individual chapter.

The summaries of course summarize exactly goes on, but basically what I'm saying, what was the overall narrative point of this book? Where does it fit in the greater FFVII universe? What does this achieve in the grand scale of things as an addition to it?

Like if this were a movie or something and I were reading the BACK OF THE BOX summary what would it say? Why should I read this?

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Like if this were a movie or something and I were reading the BACK OF THE BOX summary what would it say? Why should I read this?

"Buy this 'cause it says 'Final Fantasy VII' on it."

No, probably something like:

----
Two years after the planet was spared from destruction in the quintessential classic RPG, Final Fantasy VII, the populace searches for their place in a world with no mako energy and as little direction. For Evan and Kyrie, two of the young investigators of the Mireille Detective Agency, the tumultuous times have also brought with them opportunity. They advertise their business to unwitting clientele with the dubious claim that they "read the Lifestream."

Now hired to find a missing former member of SOLDIER, their investigation will lead to deeper mysteries and shocking revelations as they cross paths with the Turks -- the black ops remnants of the Shin-Ra company, which now seeks atonement for guiding the world to the brink of annihilation. But what could their interest in the clandestine detectives be? And what foe might be lurking in the shadows, plotting against them all?

Insight into these and other questions await in this new full-length novel, answering fans' long-awaited return to the world of Cloud Strife and the other heroes of Square Enix's groundbreaking title that once defined a genre.
----

Or you could go with the product info that was on the official site, though I think I did a better job:

http://thelifestream.net/square-enix/11386/updates-on-the-new-ffvii-novel/

Last edited:

Rabid-Turtle

Rookie Adventurer
AKA
jhardy01, jenks
I'm really hoping squeenix releases the manga for North America in english. Although the summary is nice I would love to read the actual story.

Top Bottom