Super Mario Maker

RedFFWolf

Donator
So this bundle of joy was released today, and I have awoken to it arriving on my doorstep! Won't get a chance to try it out till later though.

Anybody else getting/got this? Super excited to play levels worthy of extracting one's hair over and making sneaky little creations to unveil one's creative genius and callous nature? I know I am :D (though I have a feeling it'll be a looooooong time before I make anything decent :P)

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
I wish I had a Wii-U... I'd make a Rube Goldberg machine out of all the stages using a single Koopa Shell.

You punt the shell and it does all the work and you just chase it to the end!

I'd also make a crazy "rubber room" out of nothing but Note Blocks!

It's just too bad Hammer Suit, Boomerang Suit, Tanooki, Giant Mushroom, P-Wing, and Ice Flower aren't available. Frog Suit would be fun too.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
I've been watching fanmade levels on YouTube all day! Pretty sweet.

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
Only thing that bothers me about most videos on Youtube is that most of the people who previewed it:

1. Didn't even know their Mario games.

2. Suck at Mario.

That's like, the worst combination ever for a preview video.

There was one player who grabbed a Super Leaf and just... lord help him... forgot how to fly!

I'm a little disappointed that Mario Bros 2 (Doki Doki Panic) didn't get featured, much less Yoshi's Island style... those two would have been fun.

RedFFWolf

Donator
I've had a decent enough binge yesterday. It is most definitely well worth it - if you have not yet acquired a Wii U, go out and steal if you must (you didn't see it here, folks!)

I've come across a few lacklustre levels all right, but the good ones are more than enough to compensate - and, there are ways of filtering out popular ones (even if they're not necessarily the best).

Making levels is great fun. It really does allow the creativity to flow, and designing is really easy. The interface is just so user friendly and easy to navigate - and it's far from dull too!

The last level I played involved acquiring a Mario Kart costume, just hold and run right, and it looks like you're racing against a red spiny shell - some incredible engineering.

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
There was a stage in Super Mario World's Star Island stages that I really liked that involved a Baby Yoshi and a huge floor of bricks that you needed Super Mario to spin jump down to get.

If there was a way to get Baby Yoshi and use him as a gimmick for stuff, that would be great.

Also, do you know if this game allows "infinite scrolling" events? For example, in the original Super Mario Bros, stage 4-4 had a "maze" where if you took the wrong route you kept scrolling through an infinite loop. Can you make stuff like that at all?

RedFFWolf

Donator
There was a stage in Super Mario World's Star Island stages that I really liked that involved a Baby Yoshi and a huge floor of bricks that you needed Super Mario to spin jump down to get.

If there was a way to get Baby Yoshi and use him as a gimmick for stuff, that would be great.

Also, do you know if this game allows "infinite scrolling" events? For example, in the original Super Mario Bros, stage 4-4 had a "maze" where if you took the wrong route you kept scrolling through an infinite loop. Can you make stuff like that at all?

There isn't directly an event like infinite scrolling. However, you can place doors you have to enter - and you could have them mapped out that they have to go into the right one to advance; wrong ones bring them back to the start (and up high so they can't access them from the start).

That, and who knows what could end up as DLC potential - it may be complex to integrate such an element in, particularly if Nintendo feel it might be complicated for its players; after all, they originally had the 9-day wait plan for everything so as to not overload its new players. However, that's gone now, and just playing around a good bit in Create mode will unlock new elements - one of my friend's got nearly everything available in his first day! Nintendo listened to their fans, so who knows what they might try to push for in adding new elements if something's in demand.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
The shit they showed at the Invitational was hardcore stuff. Game looks pretty amazing!

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
As I recall, Baby Yoshi was useful for a few things:

---He'd eat anything you put in front of him up to the point he grew in to adult Yoshi, and I think he also ate stuff that normal Yoshi couldn't eat.
---If you fed him a powerup he'd grow instantly.

Another thing I miss are the "Rainbow" Koopa shells that change color and start spinning after you. If Yoshi eats them, he gets every special power at once:

---Yellow Koopa: Mega Stomp
---Blue Koopa: Wings
---Red Koopa: Fireball Shot
---Green Koopa: spit it back out when you need it (if you take too long Yoshi swallows it though).

Also, I'm wondering if a couple other "gimmicks" survived:

In Super Mario Bros 3:

If you crouch on a white stage block for a few seconds you fall in to the background of the stage and can access secret rooms or fight hidden enemies in the background. (This is how you got one of the Warp Whistles)

I also liked Shyguys in SMB2, you could stand on them as they walk around and ride on them across spikes.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
9OSd2dw.jpg

Lex

Administrator
I've had a good time watching people doing the expert 100 mario challenge on Twitch. It's made me actually want a Wii U, which is the first time that's happened even with other titles I'd really like to play exclusively on the console. I'll refrain however :P

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
With the Nintendo Switch out next year, do you suppose they have plans for this?

I had no interest in Wii-U but Switch may change my mind.

RedFFWolf

Donator
I had so much fun when this first came out. Then it fizzled out for a bit. But then it rose again. And repeat. It comes in waves, and the urge to play again now is rising ^_^

Ooh, I should post some of my own levels some day!

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
Hang on, at about 0.31 in that vid, shouldn't that fireball have killed him? Passed right through!

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
My wishlist for this game remains:

---Infinite Scrolling stage mazes
---Super Mario Bros 2 (Doki Doki Panic Mode) especially Shyguys who were my favorite Taxi Service.
---Yoshi's Island Mode (because Egg sniping and transformations)

Top Bottom