• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Suspension of Disbelief and Good Fiction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DLPB

Banned Flunky
AKA
Seifer Almasy, DanielReturns
Nope you're wrong, people can rebuild things and make them better
You cannot polish a turd. Why on earth do you think I will like ACC if I DETESTED AC.

Do you think, logically, the small edits here and there and small additions are going to make me suddenly change my opinion to a flip side? I know how I think. Stop telling me.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
Did I say you will like it? No I didn't, quit putting words in my mouth. I did say people can rebuild things to make them better but you're of the mind that if something sucks, no matter what you do to it it'll always suck which is also bullshit.

I was a shit translator years ago. I was a turd as you would. I look back at my old stuff and cringe, but guess what? I learned more and bettered myself and I got better. But according to YOUR LOGIC, I still suck, right?

DLPB

Banned Flunky
AKA
But according to YOUR LOGIC, I still suck, right?
Judging from what I have read from you, yes.

I did say people can rebuild things to make them better
They didnt rebuild. We arent talking about a house that gets remade here. We are talking about a crap film that had a few edits and additions. If ACC was massively different to AC sure, but it isnt.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
and what did you read from me recently that told you I suck? I'm curious now. Please inform me about how horrible my Japanese translating skills are. Please enlighten me.

If ACC was massively different to AC sure, but it isnt.
Again how the hell are you in any position to say this if you haven't seen it. Because, guess what! It WAS massively different to AC.

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Tifabelle, Nathan Drake, Locke Cole, Kain Highwind, Yamcha, Arya Stark

Dude wtf. Do you know Japanese? Don't be rude to other people who work hard on something. Something she does for fun, btw. That's seriously not cool.

DLPB

Banned Flunky
AKA
and what did you read from me recently that told you I suck? I'm curious now. Please inform me about how horrible my Japanese translating skills are. Please enlighten me.

Again how the hell are you in any position to say this if you haven't seen it. Because, guess what! It WAS massively different to AC.

BECAUSE I HAVE READ ABOUT IT

GOOD GOD. THATS HOW WE LEARN. WE READ ABOUT THINGS.

Dude wtf. Do you know Japanese? Don't be rude to other people who work hard on something. Something she does for fun, btw. That's seriously not cool.

I wasnt even replying to his Japanese. I was on about what he writes here. I dont know japanese.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
BECAUSE I HAVE READ ABOUT IT

GOOD GOD.
Oh well SHIT

I wasnt even replying to his Japanese. I was on about what he writes here. I dont know japanese.
I was talking about Japanese dude. My Japanese translating skills were awful a year or so ago. I was "a turd" if you will. It'd take me hours to completely one little paragraph. I can translate much faster now and I don't make as many mistakes. Thus I got better... thus I polished a turd.

She BTW

DLPB

Banned Flunky
AKA
Well sorry but I have been up 24 hours and now I am goin on a walk. It is 10 AM here.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Well you just made a good point that trumps my argument so I'm going to make up some lame excuse and leave because I don't have a response to you. I'll sleep on it or something, might not respond at all. We'll see how I feel

K

DLPB

Banned Flunky
AKA
I am reading- walk is postponed :) But I am goin bed u be glad to hear :P and it wasnt a lame excuse. I was going on a walk. I do not bullshit. I tell it as it is. It is snowing here now pretty heavy so we called it off.

Max Caulfield

shaka brah
AKA
Chi, Trollzaya, Dean Winchester, Black Widow
DLPB, if you haven't seen ACC, then you really can't judge it's quality (or lack thereof).

ACC is better than AC. You can argue that the changes were minor, but your know what? They had an impact on the overall movie. The story is a lot more fleshed out, it makes more sense, there's more backstory, and it's much more enjoyable than AC. I'm not saying it's the best, but it's better than it predecessor.

You cannot properly debate something when you aren't educated in it. And to judge judge anything based on something else (no matter how similar or related it is) is very close minded.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Adding 30 minutes to a movie is more than just a minor change imo. That's actually quite a lot.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
DLPB, if you haven't seen ACC, then you really can't judge it's quality (or lack thereof).

ACC is better than AC. You can argue that the changes were minor, but your know what? They had an impact on the overall movie. The story is a lot more fleshed out, it makes more sense, there's more backstory, and it's much more enjoyable than AC. I'm not saying it's the best, but it's better than it predecessor.

You cannot properly debate something when you aren't educated in it. And to judge judge anything based on something else (no matter how similar or related it is) is very close minded.

But dude, he READ about it!

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
I know you didnt.
Yet another instance of "I'm right because I say I am." You don't know and you can't know. You have no fucking idea what I have or have not done. It is impossible for you to have any fucking idea what I have or have not done. So shut the fuck up about what I have or have not done.

He had eternity to figure it out. You are debating a stone wall plot hole. Stop it.
Just because he had eternity to figure it out doesn't mean that (a) he's going to use eternity to figure out or that (b) he's going to figure it out. People make mistakes. They're impulsive, irrational, arrogant, and fallible - you're a walking example of that. Based on the examples you've given here, your definition of "plot hole" seems to be "character makes a mistake or does something that my feeble brain can't come up with an explanation for." Needless to say, not everyone on this board shares your definition.

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
I am sorry, I can't take you seriously at all when you cite Stephen King of all people as someone who knows good fiction. Mister. I'm-gonna-have-this-guy-with-ice-conveniently-run-by-and-douse-the-main-character-of-my-story-while-he's-on-fire.

He dissed Stephenie Meyer and I give him props for that, but he honestly has not written anything I would consider 'good fiction' in decades.

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa
Gotta love Plinkett. Now my headphones are fixxed, I can get around to watching his ROTS review! :dance:

Also, the first part of this review also sums up why the action in AC (Advent Children) was so flawed:

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
No attempts made to explain certain events (like Rufus surviving, and getting up from his wheel chair)

Rufus DID attempt to explain this, and Cloud cut him off. Also S-E published material on this called On the Way to a Smile for those who wanted to know the specifics.

Characters are "just there", we dont know anything about loz or the others. All we know is they are there. We feel nothing for them. The only reason we can feel something for the established characters is because we played VII. That's not a good thing, if it has to rely on the previous installment. It is a flaw.

It WAS designed mainly for the audience of FFVII. It's like if someone wrote a book, and made a film sequel, and they didn't re-explain the character origins and background in the film.

Denzel. Why should I feel anything for him? He is just some kid. Nothing explained.

It's explained in ACC and the OTWTAS OVA & Novella.

and I havent seen ACC. I cant see it making a difference either.

Don't debate something you haven't seen. Period. Small edits to a film can make a large difference. It's clear that AC wasn't your cup of tea. Halo's not my cup of tea, but I'm not running around on Halo forums calling it bad fiction and telling everyone I'm more educated than them. That's called trolling.

X :neo:

Sprites

Waiting for something
AKA
Gems
"Oooh look at me I think I'm being funny by making a review in a funny voice and making stupid jokes about something that came out nearly 6 years ago, score one for me!"

Totally unfunny, ridiculous and I'm sorry DLPB but you actually expect us to take him seriously and be educated by THAT!? What exactly are we supposed to be educated in because all I saw was a lesson on how to be a dickwad...

If you don't mind me saying DLPB actually no you probably will mind, I'm sorry that I do have to say it but your behaviour on this forum most of the time is downright appalling.

Why do you insist on belittling everyone on this forum who has an opinion different to your own? Why do you always think you're right and can't take what other people say into consideration at all? Why are you constantly talking down to everyone and acting like your the be all, end all, superior of everyone?

Do yourself a favour, it's a forum not a bloody "I'm better than you" area, you're meant to enjoy yourself here.
Grow up, start listening to what other people have to say and stop thinking only your opinion matters. Before you start telling people they have to earn respect from you maybe think about earning their respect also because the people on this forum are great and they deserve to be given more credit than you obviously feel they deserve.

If you loosen up and start having a bit of fun on this forum you might actually get on well with everyone here.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
the people on this forum are great and they deserve to be given more credit

hugs-cat-lolcat-hugz.jpg

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
I am at work.

I just bothered to read this thread.

I cant wait to get home to address what I've seen in it.

I've watched the review of Star Wars Episode III now. While I have some qualms about his style and the needless length of the review, I can see many of his points.

The ultimate flaw I think is to watch Advent Children and expect the "Citizen Kane" or "Casablanca" of video game movies. If you're looking for a masterpiece of a movie you won't find it in Advent Children or its updated version. A lot of complaints about the movie are justified. But I shall focus this post on the movie's fight scenes.

I can't complain about their choreography. They look cool and I enjoy them. This is not the case for me with the Star Wars prequels. Why?
In the Star Wars prequels there is indeed too much stuff going on in the background; robots fighting clone troopers that I don't care about. Advent Children does not have that problem with me as the fights are usually between just a few people.

Why do I enjoy the Cloud vs Sephiroth fight and not the Anakin vs Obi-Wan fight?
- The fight between Anakin and Obi-Wan in Star Wars Episode III bothers me because I can't believe the overly hectic and complicated choreography. I am comparing the movie with Star Wars Episode IV, V and VI and become jaded when I see how much more realistic the light saber fights are there (even though those too have their silly moments). I am watching real actors and I am wishing for something that feels real and true to the first movies.

- Compare this then with the Cloud vs Sephiroth fight scene. I am comparing the movie with the game that came before it; a game where the characters perform outrageous limit breaks which I am very much expecting to see in one shape or form in the movie and indeed we get that. I am not seeing a fight that would happen between real people and it doesn't bother me because I am not expecting a fight between real people. I am watching two video game characters duke it out.

If Square had gone with a more realistic fighting style sure that would have been fine but from the moment that I see the first fight between Cloud and the Sephiroth remnants I understand what type of fight scenes I am to expect for the rest of the movie; physics-defying unrealistic fights with characters that once appeared in a very successful fantasy-sci-fi video game. With big letters...I ENJOY IT. =)

In order for my "suspense of disbelief" to be broken, shit waaaay more crazy would have to happen in the movie for me to despise it.

Last edited:

DLPB

Banned Flunky
AKA
Adding 30 minutes to a movie is more than just a minor change imo. That's actually quite a lot.

Except the rest of it, all of which was poor, is STILL IN THERE. That does not make the movie that much better. But regardless, I will be watching the ACC tonight, and from what I have read, they even extended fight scenes. That isn't a good thing.

Gotta love Plinkett. Now my headphones are fixxed, I can get around to watching his ROTS review! :dance:

Also, the first part of this review also sums up why the action in AC (Advent Children) was so flawed:

HELLO BOYS we HAVE INTELLIGENT POSTER ON THIS THREAD WHO GETS IT! ;)

It WAS designed mainly for the audience of FFVII.

NO. NO. NO. That is a weak argument. All films have to stand by their material and work. You don't need to watch Terminator 1 to understand most of Terminator 2. FF7 AC is fanboy nonsense.

It's explained in ACC and the OTWTAS OVA & Novella.
Another reason you should watch Plinkett reviews, he explains why telling people to read novels about the film is ridiculous.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom