• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Teaching CommTech

Hello all TLS techies - I need your advice.

Some context: At my work I have been given the responsibility of delivering next year's Communications Technology course. Students are meant to gain practical experience on a range of comtech products such as radio broadcasting, TV broadcasting, video-making desk-top publishing, video-games, social media, and photo editing.

What we can't do: radio or TV broadcasting. We don't have the equipment.

What we can do: make videos, make podcasts, possibly make simple video games, use social media, photo manip, book publishing

What we have to do: make a Yearbook and maintain the school's social media accounts - in other words, digital marketing.

I've been given this job because I have more technical expertise than my colleagues, which isn't saying a lot (also my expertise is confined to Apple programs). I expect my students to come in with quite a bit of technical expertise of their own, if somewhat fragmented (like my own); my job will be to fill in the gaps, to teach them project management and teamwork skills, and to teach them some academic communications theory (Communication 101).

Teaching them coding is not on the cards; it's not part of the curriculum and I don't think I could do it anyway.

tl;dr What do you think is essential/useful knowledge and skills for students to acquire during the course of a Grade 12 CommTech class, bearing in mind that
a) we have very limited equipment
b) they think it's a bird course, and it kind of is.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
I have to confess, I'm not exactly up on this stuff either - I mean I'm not really sure what falls under the umbrella of 'Comtech' when it comes to teaching in school.

That said I think you've got most bases covered.

Does online safety come under that too? I don't know if that's covered in another subject -PSE - Personal and Social Education it was called in my day but it was basically 'Heres how to put on a condom, don't get pregnant, now wash your hands!' But yeah, thats possibly something else you could cover.

Sorry I'm not much help :monster:

Lex

Administrator
I hate myself for suggesting this (because I personally would have hated this and my teacher for doing it to me), but day/ week one you could have them brainstorm in groups and decide which group is in charge of what and rotate them? Or have each of them put forward a proposal for how to handle the yearbook and delegate who should be in charge of what re: upkeep of the social media, or something. That should allow you to gauge the different skillsets or what have you.

I mean, activities are going to depend on what software is available to the students is it not? Do the school computers have video editing capabilities? I'm thinking if so it's probably just windows movie maker, and even then I think Microsoft stopped packaging that with windows years ago.

I'm very little help because our generation (as everyone here knows) was really mostly self-taught when it came to all of this stuff. I vaguely remember Computing being about learning about hardware and software and an IT Business Management class I did being all about the hierarchy of business. I've never had a class in my life like the one you're going to be teaching 0_0.

I would assume "comtech" must be about how you can use technology to communicate/ market ideas, so a part of it could maybe involve (I hate myself again) groups or individual projects that involve a proposal of some sort, like "here is our website which is good because it has flowers in it" or something. Web design certainly seems like something that should be discussed on a course like that.

Oh and please keep in mind that any introverts in your class will want to die if you even think about any of my suggestions XD.

Fangu

Great Old One
How technical does it have to be? Because my initial thought is to start explaining the science of radio waves vs digital signals, but that's just me XD

Edit: Also I was perfectly serious no u

Last edited:

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
@Lex part of the fun of being an adult is to inflict misery on the next generation :monster:

I remember doing RSA -typing and spreadsheets and that. And I was ultra shit at typing. Our teacher used to say "remember your fingering girls!" with zero awareness of how that sounded. Cue giggling.

I only actually learned how to type fast by going on chatrooms and stuff where you have to type fast just to keep up. I still dont type the 'correct' way though but I get by.

They all hate group work but unfortunately it is part of the curriculum - "project management" and "teamwork" are two major things they get graded on (as in life).

These are all great suggestions. I've been a teacher for so long that I am a bit innocent about what the world of real work is like.

If I had the facilities to do radio work with them I would definitely teach them the science behind the technology.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
You could probably / possibly / maybe manage to scrounge up the parts required to make a simple radio receiver; I used to have a toy kit back when to build one, :awesome:. this site lists a guide to make a simple one; those parts shouldn't be too expensive to acquire, in all. But, idk, it depends on a bit of budget.

If you want to use technology and shit, internet radio or podcasts would be a thing.

Top Bottom