Team Fortress 2! (Free to Play)

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
2288837-437678_20071116_screen001.jpg

From TV Tropes

A sequel to the classic mod Team Fortress Classic, itself based off of a mod for the original Quake, Team Fortress 2 has exactly the kind of story elements a multiplayer-only shooter should have: interesting settings, awesome character classes that each have a distinct personality and can be easily recognized just by their silhouette, and an Excuse Plot that stays All There in the Manual. Said Excuse Plot, in its entirety, is "The other side is the enemy. You've been hired to shoot their asses off." For the average player, it really doesn't get any more complicated than that. Crack that Manual open, though, and it's a different story ...

In short, Team Fortress 2 is fun as shit. A team based, class based, item heavy FPS, I got into this game a few years ago in college when it was first released. Since then, it's gotten a bunch of gameplay updates, limited but not including; Crafting, a bunch of new weapons, a ton of new game modes, and a strange obsession with hats. Oh yeah, and it's free. Generally speaking, if you have a decent computer, have even a passing interest in FPS, and would appreciate some class and RPG customization options in said FPS, I seriously recommend you pick this up.

Like I said, it's free.

BUT NOT ONLY THAT, obviously I play too and mostly because I lost my previous profile and am starting my shit over, I'd really like to play with you guys as well, even if not TF2, just add my Steam profile so I can maybe play some other games as well. I figure if we have enough people interested in TF2 or some other game, we could start community matches or something like that.

Also, it's free. Come on, bro.

Abortedj

The Crawling Chaos
AKA
Abortedj, The Offender, Abortedjesus, Testicules,
Haven't played it since they made idle farming impossible.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Ah yes, Hat Simulator, :monster:. I've played it for a while a while ago, it was quite entertaining. Can't say I experienced it as a omg h4x 1337 skillz game though. But that's fine, :monster:

Abortedj

The Crawling Chaos
AKA
Honestly, I think TF2 was the weakest thing in the Orange Box.

Gym Leader Devil

True Master of the Dark-type (suck it Piers)
AKA
So many names
Been meaning to give this game a try, if its free now just might be the time :awesome: Also, you should be getting a friend request from Death, so don't be worried. IT IS, IN FACT, JUST ME. :reapermon:

Abortedj

The Crawling Chaos
AKA
Why is that?

Many reason. It is exclusively multiplayer. Matches get very repetitive. Classes are not well balanced (admittedly this may have changed since I last seriously played it in 2009). It doesn't bring anything new to the table. Integrated team speak leads to hearing many people with horrid voices.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
Many reason. It is exclusively multiplayer.

It's a multiplayer game, so I think this is more of an subjective reasoning, but it's your own. If anything it's easily the the one game in the Orange Box with the most longevity. Portal, while awesome had a shelf life and I've all but given up on Half Life (unfortunately). TF2 however is still being played to this day, 5 years later.

Matches get very repetitive.

Since the inclusion of the many, many game modes, new weapons and support items, I disagree! It's about as repetitive as any other activity with a technically finite number of possibilities (read: most things). It's one of the more varied multiplayer games.

Classes are not well balanced (admittedly this may have changed since I last seriously played it in 2009).

Give it another whirl.

It doesn't bring anything new to the table.

TF2 is easily one of the most unique multiplayer FPS I've played in a while. Are you kidding me? What other games are like it?

Integrated team speak leads to hearing many people with horrid voices.

Turn it off?

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
I've never played TF2 before and know absolutely nothing about it. :'

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
The voice comm thing is a problem in most source engine games; last time it annoyed me was with CS:S, where the only way to turn it off would be to mute individual players.

@Davos: TF2 is a cartoony first-person shooter where players play mostly team-based matches with a certain class. Its business model is the sale of hats.

Abortedj

The Crawling Chaos
AKA
It's a multiplayer game, so I think this is more of an subjective reasoning, but it's your own. If anything it's easily the the one game in the Orange Box with the most longevity. Portal, while awesome had a shelf life and I've all but given up on Half Life (unfortunately). TF2 however is still being played to this day, 5 years later.

Yes it subjective. You asked me why I thought it was the weakest item in the Orange box. The fact I need a group people to play it is a huge weakness in my opinion.

TF2 is easily one of the most unique multiplayer FPS I've played in a while. Are you kidding me? What other games are like it?

It refines things that came before it. Refining and innovating are not one in the same. I will give you that it is likely the most refined multiplayer FPS experience you will find.

Honestly its the game that really got me into FPS. Mainly because each of the characters has alot of personality and the art style was refreshing. I haven't played much lately, mainly because the servers I used to frequent stopped having people come on at a time when I was awake, and I've played the game enough that playing with randoms doesn't do a whole lot for me.
I got a unusual hat worth 50 bucks tho, maybe I should sell it.

I still love the trailers tho. Probly my fav has to be either Sniper, Spy, or Medic. Pyro gets points for some satisfying cuts between shots, but I was kinda disappointed in the whole "he thinks hes in an awesome world of happiness but really hes a psycho" thing.

Last edited:

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
And I usually don't like FPS games because they're all variants of "shoot people until they're dead" gameplay, but this one I could see myself trying...

okay, and the fact that it looks like a Darker and Edgier version of the Incredibles world helps too...

I'll stick my Steam profile up once I get it.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
^^You can blame TvTropes for pointing that out to me. It gets points for being a subtle Darker and Edgier too, as it's the world-building that got Darker, not character appearance and the like.

I now also have the head-cannon that Syndrome contracted out most of his construction from BLU...

Gym Leader Devil

True Master of the Dark-type (suck it Piers)
AKA
So many names
Never really put that together, but damn it does.

Once seen, it cannot be unseen :muhaha:

Also, I got this today and started on some of the offline tutorials/practice stuff. So far I sorta fail all the way around, I can't switch weapons fast enough, can't control Scout's ludicrous speed, can't maintain any sort of fire discipline as Heavy (and thus run outta bullets real damn quick), and I seem to suck at Pyro-ambushes. Haven't tried out Spy yet, seems like the sorta thing I'll probably have to learn on the job. But I'll get better... right?

Also added Obsidian, anyone else thinking of joining us for this?

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
^^ I've found that you need to fiddle with the settings to make it work. I think the guide I used was this one. The FOV should be made wider and as far as switching weapons goes, make it so that you just have to scroll the mouse wheel to change weapons.

Abortedj

The Crawling Chaos
AKA
Installed this again for shits and giggles. Was greeted with several items. Not sure how or why. Among them was a Fallout Pipboy for the engineer. Almost makes me want to play.

Abortedj

The Crawling Chaos
AKA
A lot of that look pretty sweet. However, since I NEVER pay full price for games I will never see the vast majorities of those kinds of items. Only got the Pipboy because a friend that works at Obsidian gave me a copy when it came out. He knew of/share my love of that series.

Well alot of them are still available in the game, just it wont be Genuine quality. Which only really matters if you're into bragging rights or wanna sell them.

Top Bottom