• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Terminator: Genisys & New James Cameron Film

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
So, we have...

• Emilia Clarke: Sarah Connor
• Jason Clarke: John Connor
• Jai Courtney: Kyle Reese
• Arnold Schwarzenegger: The Terminator
• Matt Smith: New Major Character
(Source)

Yes please. Daenerys as Sarah Connor, and The Doctor doing more time travel-related stuff in big films?
Hell yes, please.

X :neo:

Abortedj

The Crawling Chaos
AKA
Abortedj, The Offender, Abortedjesus, Testicules,
Ok... few questions here, not sure if the answers even exist yet. However...

Are these meant as a reboot? Or does these follow one of the (several) preexisting Terminator continuities? Will this take place in the present (or near present), or will this be in the apocalyptic future? How fucking great it is to have Matt Smith in this movie?

Personally I think the best thing done with the Terminator franchise is still the first movie. The sequel was pretty good, but the kid in it gets real damn annoying. The third and forth films I could do without. The television series had some interesting ideas, but didn't do much with them, admittedly it was cut short by the network and may have been building toward something, but we will never really know.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
I think its going to be a reboot.

Im kinda bummed they wont follow up on the Salvation story line but its understandable why they wouldn't/ I loved that movie though it was the first Terminator movie to break stale Terminator formula of

>John connor sees bad terminator
>John is saved by Arnie
>Car chase where baddie has the larger and faster vehicle
>Cop shoot out
>Car chase where baddie has the larger and faster vehicle
>Arnie gets owned.
>Both Terminators go down.

I love the franchise but it seriously was refreshing to see Salvation drop the routine.
I only hope the reboot can change it up as well.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Ok... few questions here, not sure if the answers even exist yet. However...

Are these meant as a reboot? Or does these follow one of the (several) preexisting Terminator continuities? Will this take place in the present (or near present), or will this be in the apocalyptic future? How fucking great it is to have Matt Smith in this movie?

Personally I think the best thing done with the Terminator franchise is still the first movie. The sequel was pretty good, but the kid in it gets real damn annoying. The third and forth films I could do without. The television series had some interesting ideas, but didn't do much with them, admittedly it was cut short by the network and may have been building toward something, but we will never really know.

You know, if I had to make a guess based on the VERY small amount that I've read about it thus far, The fact that we have John, Sarah, & Kyle and the title is "Genesis" sounds like they're going to be looping back into the existing continuity at some point, which would change things into a new continuity going forward.

As a brief overview of my feelings on Terminator:

• T2 was the first R-rated film I ever saw, when I was 6, so John Connor as a punk-ass early '90s kid just reminds me of the exact kind of kids I grew up with, and the T-1000 is still one of my favorite creations ever, and especially impressive technologically speaking.

• I saw Terminator a good while later, and really liked the theme of time travel behind it with Kyle & Sarah in a seeming bootstrap paradox and the fact that it's a lot more of a horror film.

• T3 is the weakest, but it started to address the inevitability of Skynet's apocalypse and Skynet more aggressively going into the past and the Resistance's tactics are known and that because of that, it is building anti-Terminator units.

• Salvation is one where (probably because I got to ask the director a question about how Time Travel functions in the film) I really like what was done with it (and it also shows off a lot of the cool stuff that was done in TSCC but cut off early).

Salvation is the first time we get an insight into the fact that Skynet keeps learning from how it doesn't succeed in various timelines, and that - so long as it sends something back - it keeps staying alive to fight another day, and changes its tactics based on that knowledge. It paints the picture that every. single. victory against Skynet is meaningless if it sends anything back in time, because it just splinters off another timeline where it can save itself. (Unlike some series like Looper, it doesn't overwrite a single continuity, but just keeps shifting into another branch, and all it needs is to win ONE of those - because that final branch is always the timeline we actively follow). TSCC demonstrates that in much greater detail.

The fact that it's planned as a trilogy means that I think that they're playing a long game with what's happening, and I'd be interested in seeing the idea of them actually trying to shut out Skynet from being able to develop time travel after the apocalypse. I think that starting things in a more "modern" pre-apocalypse time in a necessity. Personally, I've always thought it'd be rad to see them doing things in the past, and occasionally jumping forward into the current apocalypse that changes slightly (i.e. would be a different timeline each time we jumped forward to it), as they affect certain points in the past - but that's cause I'm a BIG time travel junkie.

tl;dr - There's no sense in a reboot with a multi-branching time travel series, so I'd bet that they jump in somewhere and start a timeline continuity specific to the film (since that happens in Terminator every time someone/something travels back). I'd guess that it happens in Sarah & Kyle's early timeline, and then moves into the apocalypse later on.

Also - still endlessly happy about Matt Smith being in this.

EDIT: High five to Gabe for also loving Salvation.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
So I guess they're only going to source Sarah Connor from GoT leads now?

:awesome:

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
Oh thank god I wasn't the only who thought this. That was literally the first thing that came to my mind when the cast was confirmed.

200px-SarahConnorSCC.jpg

Appreciation for Lena Headey's portrayal of Sarah Connor.

Last edited:

Abortedj

The Crawling Chaos
AKA
Abortedj, The Offender, Abortedjesus, Testicules,
Wonder what new kinds of Terminators we will see. The one thing that I really liked about Terminator 4 was we saw a wide variety of non-humanoid terminators. I would like to see this expanded upon.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Promo images.

They look quite bad.

3D2nczp.jpg

Njdnq7W.jpg

iHRhf7q.png

^Looks like she misfired the weapon and is terrified because of it. :P

7ICjMQa.png

^The Doctor dude tried his hardest to look as ridiculous and out of place in this movie as possible. He succeeded.

JxF0Ulo.png

^What the fuck is with the size of his head?
Why are you shooting at the floor, bro?

mt3otsb.png

Also, the movie title is actually Genisys (Miga Dryve in Europe and Japan :awesome:)

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man
Ah fuck it as long as I get to see Arnie beat the shit out of his other robotic colleagues cos he's ooooooold as fuck then I'm good. Those promo images are ridiculous shit however.

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
I think I may skip this. :( they had a good ball rolling with Salvation. Ffs I wanted some future battles already instead of time travelling all over again.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
http://popwatch.ew.com/2014/10/29/this-weeks-cover-first-look-at-terminator-genisys/

So, cheap-looking green screen model magazine promo images aside, I'm more interested in the story changes for this and I, for one, welcome our new T-800, Model 101 parental units.

I think if you're going to do a set of three films with the same cast and a smooth story between them like is common with franchise-type films these days, establishing a new continuity for it works well -- because Terminator's cascading timeline does that better than any other time travel.

Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles played around a lot with how the cascading timeline of the Terminator series worked, and did so brilliantly. Having an in-continuity, time travel-generated soft reboot of Terminator sits really well with me, because (like Star Trek 2009), it doesn't change anything that came before it -- it's just Skynet's latest attempt to win in a different way, since its past attempts keep failing. If killing Sarah Connor & John Connor failed in various ways, taking out Sarah's parents (although slightly too late) is a good next logical step, and we get to see how that works in the latest timeline without "undoing" any of the versions of the characters that came before it.

Hopefully get to follow the characters through wherever we start off all the way in to the doomed future again. (Finally seeing events IN the apocalyptic world was a big reason I loved Salvation -- it wasn't a fight against the inevitable future, it was the war to win against Skynet that they prepared for. It was also what TSCC was doing when it got cancelled). Really, with a plan as a series of films, it would be crazy for them NOT to build it into this eventuality and tackle it head on in the Genisys-continuity films.

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
The Entertainment Weekly cover also gave a plot synopsis,
Terminator: Genisys starts in 2029, when the Future War is raging and a group of human rebels has the evil artificial-intelligence system Skynet on the ropes. John Connor (Clarke) is the leader of the resistance, and Kyle Reese (Courtney) is his loyal soldier, raised in the ruins of post apocalyptic California. As in the original film, Connor sends Reese back to 1984 to save Connor’s mother, Sarah (Clarke), from a Terminator programmed to kill her so that she won’t ever give birth to John. But what Reese finds on the other side is nothing like he expected.

Sarah Connor isn’t the innocent she was when Linda Hamilton first sported feathered hair and acid-washed jeans in the role. Nor is she Hamilton’s steely zero body-fat warrior in 1991’s T2. Rather, the mother of humanity’s messiah was orphaned by a Terminator at age 9. Since then, she’s been raised by (brace yourself) Schwarzenegger’s Terminator—an older T-800 she calls “Pops”—who is programmed to guard rather than to kill. As a result, Sarah is a highly trained antisocial recluse who’s great with a sniper rifle but not so skilled at the nuances of human emotion.

Since she was 9 years old, she has been told everything that was supposed to happen. But Sarah fundamentally rejects that destiny. She says, ‘That’s not what I want to do.’ It’s her decision that drives the story in a very different direction.
Right now I'm seeing this movie more as the final nail in the coffin of the Terminator franchise and not the beginning of a new trilogy.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Well, gotta shit out those movies and cash in on Terminator before Cameron inevitably gets the rights back in 2019!

Edit:

A0K1VTF.png

Perfect.

Last edited:

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Wait so Arnie is...a Skynet Big Daddy? I hope to god he has that wonderful accent growing Sarah up. But dat plot though

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
I dunno the plot is bad and they are smart enough to hire Arnie to carry it but these days the guy is ooold. Those weird promo pics are too comedic to pass off as feasible promotional material. But meh we'll see what happens when it comes.

Kuja9001

Ooooh Salty!
AKA
roxas9001, Krat0s9001, DarkSlayerZero
The Entertainment Weekly cover also gave a plot synopsis, Right now I'm seeing this movie more as the final nail in the coffin of the Terminator franchise and not the beginning of a new trilogy.

Dat massive retcon.

It's going to be bad.

Top Bottom