Terminator: Genisys & New James Cameron Film

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
I thought T3 was an ok movie, certainly a lot better than his Dances with Wolves/Pocahontas in Space! ripoff. Also I think T2 was the last good film Cameron has done so I put very little value in his opinion. Although part of that is because I think he's a pretentious asshole.

Ghost X

I know little of Cameron's personality. Given the quality of his recent products, I would be sympathetic to the idea that he is a bit full of himself though, yes :P. Probably surrounded by too many yes folks. I can't deny the brilliance of his (distant) past work though. T2 and Aliens are amongst the handful of films I've given 5 stars to :awesome:.

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
He's known to be a horrible boss. Here's a description of some of his antics:

Some of his crew took to wearing T-shirts that read "You Can't Scare Me. I work for James Cameron." Some of his friends refer to his bad temper as his Evil Twin "Mij". Several actors on The Abyss had horror stories; Ed Harris and Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio both refused to work with him again after that. Mastrantonio because Cameron insisted on shooting retakes of a painful CPR scene until the crew "ran out of film stock" (supposedly just as he was becoming satisfied), and Harris because Cameron literally almost drowned him. Which resulted in the one and only time an actor has ever actually punched him and Harris won't even talk about his experience. During the filming of True Lies, he apparently refused to allow any of the crew to take bathroom breaks until a shot was, ummm, in the can. Titanic, the film that cemented Cameron's reputation as Hollywood's biggest Jerkass, apart from terrorizing the film's two lead actors (Kate Winslet suffered bruises so impressive that the makeup artists took photos to use for reference later and he reputedly nicknamed her "Kate Weighs-a-lot."), driving it insanely over budget and schedule and having to deal with cast members who came down sick from a shitload of hours spent in cold water. During the filming of Titanic, a crew member put PCP in the wrap party soup as revenge (this didn't work out so well, as dozens of crew members were hospitalized as a result).

Supposedly he mellowed out after Titanic but seeing as he has only directed one movie after that which was shot in a digital backlot, with less things that could go awry that's not saying much.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
I thought T3 was an ok movie, certainly a lot better than his Dances with Wolves/Pocahontas in Space! ripoff.

(Side note: I've literally never understood the hate for Avatar, especially because the negatives people spout are always about the aliens being blue, and TVTropes-ish pointing out of previous films whose plots match the same tropes).

X :neo:

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
Is not the reuse of tropes that's exactly the problem, Bioware does this all the time with their games. But they usually add an interesting twist to said reused tropes which Avatar failed to do in every way. It's bland, predictable and with the exception of 3 characters (all of whom die) the cast is completely forgettable.

People that complain about aliens being blue have never played Mass Effect.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
I liked Avatar but have absolutely no idea as to why it would ever deserve the top spot of highest-grossing film of all time. (I know pretty much why it actually did, but that's a different argument) :monster:

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
So, they have a shitton of other featurettes out on their official YouTube channel but there're a couple of things that I wanted to mention:

When I saw Poltergeist a few weeks back, and then again when I saw Jurassic World last week, I have to say that the 3D for the Terminator Genisys trailer is absolutely ASTOUNDING in how well done and crisp it is. My roommate even made a point of commenting on it (which is something that doesn't happen often).

Secondly, go rewatch the James Cameron interview I posted a week ago from 0:22 - 0:46 and take a look at the original T-800, because the CGI for Arnold there when he says, "Your clothes, give them to me. Now." looks mind-blowingly photorealistic.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Some short clips are out online now.

Also, they ACTUALLY flipped a school bus and filmed it for that scene.

This also means that it's time for me to go on media lockdown until it's out in two weeks.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Soooo.... unlinke all other movies, this comes out on a Tuesday night (6/30) and not Thursday night. I'm assuming that it's because of the 4th of July Weekend, but all I know is that I get to see this earlier than I'd expected and that makes me quite happy. It also means that watching T1 & T2 on Sunday night will be an even better plan.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X

I saw that this clip was out, and (while there's a small cut, because you don't see him clicking out the switchblade) Holy Shit that looks phenomenal.

DONT WATCH THIS PILE OF CRAP. I JUST WATCHED IT (FORCED BY A FRIEND) AND IT WAS BAD.

DONT FUCKING WATCH IT. IM NOT KIDDING.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Avatar 1 was shit too anyway, it only drew people because it was the first big 3D movie and it had Cameron behind it, not because it was a good movie :monster:

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man
Maybe that score was an overreaction, so I'll probably give this a look. I still smell crap from the film though due to its pisspoor marketing.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Rewatched The Terminator today. I'm gonna do T2 tomorrow, and then watch Genisys on Tuesday so that I get a good experience for how they work in sequence (and see if I can make sure to catch little references and such). I'll post thoughts on the film after that.

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
I feel like doing a marathon of the 2 seasons (fuck you Fox :() SCC. If the Writers Guild Strike hadn't happened how different things would've been.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
If it's so-bad-it's-good I might still check it out, so how bad, guys? :monster:

Top Bottom