Thanos vs. Hulk [Marvel]

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
This is the first time I've been disappointed by Jim Starlin.

I hate saying that, and I hate leading off with that, but this mini-series has really been kind of bland and didn't go much of anywhere. It certainly didn't do a good job of living up to its title.
Thanos and Hulk do have a fight, mind you -- in issue #2 (of 4).

After which Thanos is completely irrelevant to the rest of the story. He doesn't appear at all in issue #3 and doesn't appear again until the final panel of issue #4.

I suppose at least some of this is explained by the fact that this was originally intended to be an arc in the now-canceled "Savage Hulk" series, instead renamed in a more eye-catching and marketable manner. Still, it's kind of misleading (I was expecting
Thanos and Hulk to team up against Annihilus by the end
), particularly with Thanos receiving top billing in the title.

The story in this mini doesn't even
get resolved beyond the Hulk going back home after being kidnapped.
All this book really did was set up "The Infinity Relativity," the next Thanos original graphic novel in Starlin's latest "Infinity" trilogy, due to be released June 3.

While I wasn't in love with Starlin's last OGN, "The Infinity Revelation" -- especially as its place in canon has become increasingly dubious -- it had a lot to offer that I appreciated. "Thanos vs. Hulk," though, feels entirely like a skip or trade wait at best.

I suppose it sets up
Annihilus's status quo
for the next graphic novel, but it definitely doesn't do anything beyond that.

As I alluded to above, I'm somewhat doubtful Starlin's current trilogy is even in any sort of recognized continuity at this point, but either way, if it's Jim and Thanos, I'm there. I have everything he ever wrote featuring Thanos and/or Adam Warlock, and I still trust him to write something that satisfies me in the end -- but right now, I'm feeling a little bit let down.

The pencil work on this was as nice as you'd expect from Starlin, though, and the colors are vibrant.

Last edited:
Top Bottom