ThatGuyMikey plays FF VIII

• Thread starter Deleted member 13557
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 13557

The suffering begins :muhaha:

Heh, can't say I'm having a fantastic time with this game so far. Which sucks, considering how much I love IX and VII.

I've put VIII down for now, I might play a little bit more later on today or tomorrow. The transition from the opening FMV to the actual game is like running a train into a brick wall of boring.

Game just makes me want to play IX again.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
It picks up significantly once you take your SeeD exam. But yes, it's a slow ass beginning that can make you nod off.

But once it starts...? Phew. :monster:

By the way... Every Guardian Force except Shiva, Quitzalcoatl, and the 3rd one you meet are missable. And if you don't have GFs, you can't junction or do anything and they carry key abilities you need. This is a spoiler-lite guide to getting every GF in the game. Again, these can be missed because bosses can carry a GF that's junctioned to them and if you kill them before drawing it, they're gone... Until the final level where they may be in another boss where if you don't draw them there.... They're gone forever. So I really recommend looking at that guide a little as you go, it'll help. The system of FFVIII is very unique but awesome once you get the hang of it.

Last edited:
I'm one of those people who felt like FF8 didn't really "get going" until the middle disc 3. Only at that point did I start enjoying myself on my initial playthrough the way I enjoyed FF7. :monster: FF8 is one of those games that definitely felt better to me on replay but the slow start is indeed a fact.

Sprites

Waiting for something
AKA
Gems
Ahhh FFVIII I always feel this game was a bit of a what's with this game moment? If you played it directly after VII.

First time I played it I was like, hey where's my materia in this game??? Because it was only my second FF after VII so I didn't know it didn't carry on with the same game system and it also made me realise numbered titles in a series do not mean sequels.

Story wise, and you'll see this as you progress through, FF8 is the one that fits an Anime vibe out of any of the series, like you wouldn't have questioned it as an anime.

I guess the best advice I can give gameplay wise is, levelling up doesn't mean a lot in this game except for AP for summon abilities which you get as you progress anyways, its all about the junction system to boost your stats, which is absolutely one of, if not the most broken stat systems in the FF series.

GFs run on a compatability based system, the more you use one the faster the casting time, interesting enough a GF with the opposite element will lose compatability the more you use the other element as well. I.E if you summon Shiva more than Ifrit, Ifrit will take longer to summon. The ones also junctioned gain experience and level up just as your character does.

Given the junction system is also stat based and leveling your actual characters is not that important in terms of EXP. This also means that not junctioning stats like MAG can make higher powered spells you'd be familiar with from VII and IX do the bare minimum damage and your normal attacks do squat if you don't junction STR.

Honestly I have more fun these days playing FFVIII breaking the junction system more than anything else.

Actually one thing about levelling except for certain areas later ingame where monsters levels are fixed, monsters do level up as you do. The only thing of note about this is it affects what spells they have to draw, and items you can steal and I think what items drop.

Play Triple Triad....just do it you won't regret it...or maybe you will, sometimes you forget there's an actual game attached to this particular minigame.

Also Quetzacotl has a card mod ability you can learn later (or sooner if you really want but that's faaarrrrr too much work for a first playthrough) that means you can refine cards earned from TT games into items and spells.

Very useful for both junctioning and materials for upgrading weapons.

Ahhh yeah ok thats it so far.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the story :D

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
FFVIII's Junction mechanic is one of the most fun and most satisfying to master and break. You can do many awesome tricks and combos once you master it and focus.

The most interesting and unique aspects to this game is that levels are not that important. And this is because monsters level up with you. It doesn't matter if you do the game between levels 1 and 10, the enemies scale with you and never outlevel you. All that level determines for enemies is the type of items you may steal from them, and their attacks. But you can do a low level game, in fact, you're rewarded for it because enemies have rarer items when they're weaker.

There's even a way to get Squall's ultimate weapon on disc 1, utilizing playing the game at the lowest possible level, playing the Triple Triad card game and utilizing Quetzacotl's Card Mod skill.

Like, don't sleep on FFVIII. It's seriously one of the most fun in the series, and the GFs are one of the coolest things in the game. I feel like GFs were FF's answer to virtual pets back in the 90s. Which isn't hard to believe given that FFVIII had a peripheral that let you carry a GF in your pocket and raise it, which then allowed it to help you in the game proper :monster:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
My problem with it is that it only seems like they are two ways to engage with it - break it, or ignore it and be way underpowered. I have no idea what a "normal" usage of FFVIII's systems would look like.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
It would look like my first playthrough.

Playing through the game at one's own pace, junctioning magic for stat bonuses (albeit non-optimally), gathering GFs and leveling them up based on one's arbitrary tastes, and looking up where to find materials for everyone's ultimate weapons because you realize everyone is on their base weapon on disc 3 except Selphie who somehow got her level 2 weapon. :monster:

I mean, FFVIII isn't that hard of a game, even if you don't use Junctioning optimally. Except it's optional and final level bosses.

Sephiroth Crescent

Way Ahead of the Plot
First time for me I wasn't underpowered.
Just draw a bit of magic on most normal battles (no need to grind), raise your stats with it, don't be shy to use magic on battles and also have fun with summons every now and then. There's plenty of chances to replenish and raise your magic through the entire game (and we all love a few islands), even if some spells are rare.

I just don't recommend breaking the game on a first playthrough. I've done that so many times my latest playthrough I chose to stay normal and it was refreshing.

Top Bottom