The Best Music You've Listened to This Year?

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
What do we all think? Not necessarily the music thats come out this year, it could be something particularly old that you've just discovered for the first time, or rediscovered after years or months of negligence (for shame)

I'll post up my own in a bit, since this requires some serious thinking (and access to my CD collection, which is conveniantly in another part of the country right now) :monster:

Gofgj.

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
new discoveries:
Henry Cow - Western Culture
Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Trout Mask Replica
Swans - Soundtracks for the Blind

new releases:
Blut aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta II: Dialogue with the Stars
Pearl Jam - Ten (Legacy Edition remix on vinyl)
Amesoeurs - s/t
Isis - Wavering Radiant
Mastodon - Crack the Skye
Wolves in the Throne Room - Malevolent Grain/Black Cascade
Funeral Mist - Maranatha

and I'm sure there's moar but cba thinking about it atm.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Amesoeurs - s/t
Ordered this the other day, I have high hopes for it considering how much of a fan I was of their other stuff.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
It didn't disappoint me, anyway. I already have it uploaded in case you want an early rip. :monster:

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
I'm waiting for the physical copy, I don't want to spoil myself :awesome:

But yeah, moar fgts need to post more in here. I KNOW people here have to have listened to something new and good this year.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
k, I'm going to have to add Univers Zero - Ceux de Dehors to my list based on a first listen. I'm pretty retarded for putting off this kind of group for so long given how much I instantly fell in love with Magma

Pixel

The Pixie King
Counting Crows.

Ive had a really great version of Mr. Jones on my computer for years, but never really bothered checking out their albums until recently. For shame. I think they're playing in Belfast soon, might try to get tickets

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I'm gonna look through my library just now. For the record, since the start of the year, I've been downloading loads upon loads of random stuff from a metal torrent site, instead of waiting for recommendations or relying on Last.fm for new stuff. I downloaded just over 60 GB of music since then, and my total music collection is at 87.86 GB right now, so my collection has pretty much tripled since the start of the year, :monster:.

Note also that the below list is only a fraction of the 7000+ songs I've downloaded, the vast majority is too generic or uninteresting to be put in this list.

Aborym - With No Human Intervention

First 'industrial' metal I've heard, very good mix of electronic and black. The album's from '03, but eh. Their other albums aren't made of as much win though.

Amesoeurs - s/t (lulz I learned a new abbreviation today)

It actually sounded a lot like some stuff that was on the radio years back, but that might just be my imagination. Justice.

Arcturus - All of it. I haven't listened to all of their stuff yet (will do so tomorrow at work), but so far, it sounds promising.

Bloodbath - All / most of it. Someone posted a video a week or so back, I downloaded, I approved :monster:. I'm not a death metal, really, but they're the big exception to the rule. Also haven't listened to all their stuff yet, but they're good when randomly popping up in my playlist.

Daath - The Concealers. Haven't listened to it much, but they sounded good on random. I downloaded a load of their stuff earlier from a recommendation of my brother, but didn't like 'em that much back then. He and I have some different opinions on music, although he has to agree that my collection has grown to levels far beyond awesome by now compared to his, which largely consists of emo shit, :monster:.

Eluvium - All of it. Repetitive (synth) classical ambient, most of his work all following the same formula. But it's strangely hypnotizing / good, and would do good as background music for some stuff like games, I think.

Grand Alchemist - Intervening Coma Celebration. Symphonic black, I like it. Haven't found any other albums (and not sure if I looked or if they exist), nor have I given them a listen beyond random ones.

Heathen Hammer - Kinship Destiny. Win, :monster:. Upbeat black metal (or something), has something jumpy about it which makes it better and stand out from the masses.

Here Comes The Kraken - s/t. Progressive black/death (or something), interesting, :monster:.

Mastodon - Crack the Skye. Downloaded their other stuff as well, but Crack the Skye is the one I like best so far. Very awesome, and suitable for public listening (which I've taken advantage of, mind :monster: ). Darkspace is also suitable for public listening, but I'm saving that for when my housemates are being especially annoying, :monster:.

Misteltein - Rape In Rapture. Has something that makes it stand out from the masses, good stuff imho.

Old Man's Child - Slaves of the World. OMC's a classic, their new album is pretty good. A touch of progressive in it, too, although I'm still not certain when something is 'prog' or when it's not, :monster:.

Panopticon - s/t. Aaron made me do it, and it's quite good, I think :monster:.

Samael - Above. Brootal and win (black).

Shining - All (most?) of it. Unique atmosphere and style, listened to the majority of their albums today. Also lacks in subtlety, i.e. DO ME A FAVOR AND KILL YOURSELF times over nine thousaand, :monster:.

Slumber - Fallout. Doom / melodic death, with a very good sound / atmosphere. Definitely recommended, can't wait for their next album (they'll start recording it in September though).

Trollfest - Villanden. Just adding this 'cause it's folk metal with a pretty unique (Mexican-like?) sound.

Ulver - All of it. I've had 'Nattens Madrigal' in my library for... forever, ever since Aaron posted in on a list on FFOF back when, but only when he sent me the rest of their stuff did I discover what band they really were, :monster:. Very good stuff, I think, although I'm nowhere near educated on electronic music like theirs, so I have little to compare it with. Feel free to send me suggestions of similar stuff, :monster:.

Wolves In The Throne Room - Malevolent Grain & Black Cascade. Both very awesome and unique, although I still think Two Hunters is their best yet.

3 Headed Monster - s/t. Progressive stuff. Note that I'm no expert on progressive either, but I quite like them so far.

That's about it. There's a bunch more stuff of which I haven't yet formed an opinion, but that's, in this case, an indication that they're not very impressive on a first listen / impression. Or that I only downloaded them a few days ago and haven't listened to 'em yet, :monster:.

Bex

fresh to death
AKA
Bex
Archers of Loaf - Some crazy guitar distortion going down which is simply awesome. Though I think they need to tturn their mic up a wee bit.

Architecture in Helsinki - A bit like MGMT, but calmer and more pensive stuff. See 'The Owls Go' for +++awesome.

Belle & Sebastian - I enjoy the really odd use of beats, sometimes totally sounding off with each other to start, but eventually really fitting together.

Boards of Canada - Really odd synthy stuff, Pretty good for a chillout sessh.

Bon Iver - Really melodic, chilled out indie. Quite unique for its genre.

The Cinematic Orchestra - A great mix of moving vocals, orchestral arrangement and inclusion of really odd sounds. One of the best discoveries of the year.

Cursive - Good synth and bass stuff, soem of the songs sound very similar though.

Deerhoof - one acronym : WTF

Florence & the Machine - Really awesome stuff. Unique voice and always great exploration of subject matter in each song

Holy Roman Empire - Great soft punk. Like Rise Against, but with a woman.

Ladyhawke - AMAGAD SICK. I love electro.

Maps - More electro/dance stuff. Alright.

PlayRadioPlay! - Nice poppy/electro feel. Just pyaar fun.

The Sea and Cake -LOVELY. :3 Relaxing.

Sunn O))) & Boris - Mental

Taylor Swift - My secret love. >: Her songs embody my teenage life.

I think that's about it. =)

Harley

rain city state of mind
Hollow Crown - Architects

This album is amazing, nothing this year will top it for me.

Edley

Pray for Sound
AKA
Issac Dian, Dudley, Chev Chelios
I just gave slumber a shot and they are really sick! Wow, hope that new album comes out before another six years goes by.

Best stuff I've heard:

Anekdoten - From Within (07) Progressive Rock
...Trail of Dead - Century of Self (09) Independent Rock
Darkane - Demonic Art (08) Swedish Metal
Dimension Zero - He Who Shall Not Bleed (07) Swedish Metal (Jesper from IN FLAMES)
Edge of Sanity - Crimson II (03) Swedish Metal
Fear My Thoughts - Isolation (08) German Melodic Metal
Steven Wilson - Insurgentes (09) Prog/Electric/Ambient/Indie Awesome
Swallow the Sun - Plague of Butterflies (08) Finnish Metal
Mastodon - Crack the Skye (09) American Metal

Still waiting on AiC, Porcupine Tree, and Katatonia to unleash their next enlightenment.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
I just gave slumber a shot and they are really sick! Wow, hope that new album comes out before another six years goes by.

Best stuff I've heard:

Anekdoten - From Within (07) Progressive Rock
...Trail of Dead - Century of Self (09) Independent Rock
Darkane - Demonic Art (08) Swedish Metal
Dimension Zero - He Who Shall Not Bleed (07) Swedish Metal (Jesper from IN FLAMES)
Edge of Sanity - Crimson II (03) Swedish Metal
Fear My Thoughts - Isolation (08) German Melodic Metal
Steven Wilson - Insurgentes (09) Prog/Electric/Ambient/Indie Awesome
Swallow the Sun - Plague of Butterflies (08) Finnish Metal
Mastodon - Crack the Skye (09) American Metal

Still waiting on AiC, Porcupine Tree, and Katatonia to unleash their next enlightenment.

You got great taste :monster:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Edley said:

Congrats on being the first that admitted to downloading a recommendation of mine, :monster:. Glad to know I'm not as hopelessly behind on good music than I think I am.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
motW's new one.

HOLY FUCK MIND BLOWN BY THE LAST SONG

also I can't believe I phail'd to mention Finsterforst's new one in my first poast, that one was awesome as well. Though I think at present the year to date goes BaN>motW>everything else. I'll need to listen moar before I can say for certain though.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
motW = maudlin of the Well.

You should really go check them out, one of my favourite bands.

baN = Blut aus Nord? afaik at least.

They good too. But not as much.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I got some of their (motW) work, but remained unimpressed. Then again, I'm a picky cunt at times, :monster:. Downloading their latest btw. Blut aus Nord is also pretty average in my book (at least it doesn't seem to stand out much on random listens). Then again, I only have their 'Memoria Vetusta II Dialogue With The Stars'-album, so that might also be a failing on my side.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Try getting ahold of MoRT (by BaN), its pretty good shit

Edley

Pray for Sound
AKA
Issac Dian, Dudley, Chev Chelios
Skyfire and Callisto are getting decent rotation on my pod atm.

Marionette is also waaay to catchy to be dressing like a bunch of school for douchebag rejects.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Skyfire and Callisto are getting decent rotation on my pod atm.

Marionette is also waaay to catchy to be dressing like a bunch of school for douchebag rejects.

On that, I have a disliking for any bands whose members believe they should be dressed in a particular way to stand out. Just fyi. Also, what genres are those in?

Top Bottom