• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

The Clubhouse of Verbose Grandiloquence

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Attending the multitudinous threads of the fastidiously-woven tapestry known as TLS, I descry a delectation for language shared by many of our members. Ergo I've ratiocinated that a dedicated space for the jollification of words might be valued.

DIS HEER IS A WORD-LOVER CLUB

Distinct from the spontaneous revelry we see elsewhere, this would be a place to properly solemnize the written word, words, and wordes when the moment strikes. For instance, there has been a recent hullabaloo in the Picture Discussion Thread. I shall share highlights:

I look like a granite faced psycho, which admittedly fits better with how gravelly voiced and pauciloquent I am right now :monster:

...Sesquipedalians... Callipygian? Nullifidian? Solivagant? Peristeronic?

I'll be in my bunk.

Gtfo with your concupiscence :monster:

...slitting people's throats might be sufficiently jaunty and fun.

By all means continue.

This sanctuary of lexemes should also be a place to share new words we have learned, as well as their definitions, much as one would dispense photographs of mammillae in a neighbouring club. I'll begin with an example many of us are familiar with, as it's one of the longest words in the english language:

floccinaucinihilipilification
/ˌfläksəˌnôsəˌnīˌhiləˌpiləfiˈkāSHən/
[flok-suh-naw-suh-nahy-hil-uh-pil-uh-fi-key-shuh n]

noun
1. the estimation of something as valueless (dictionary.com)

Etymology: Mostly latin. flocci, from floccus (a wisp) + nauci, from naucum (a trifle) + nihili, from nihil (nothing) + pili, from pilus (a hair) (all having the sense of "pettiness" or "nothing") + -fication.

Last edited:

Happy Little Lemon

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Sledged
Woohoo! When that was all occurring I was going to go the 'be careful what you wish for' route and threaten a Word of the Day thread. Then I thought of William Chester Minor and got a bit sidetracked!

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
I learned this word when looking up sesquipedalians.

Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia.

Noun
1 (humorous) The fear of long words

A common misspelling is hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, with an added 'p', perhaps on purpose to make the word longer.

Etymology (according to Wiktionary)
From hippopotomonstrosesquipedalian, an extension of sesquipedalian with monstrum ‎(“monster”) and a truncated, misspelled form of hippopotamus, intended to exaggerate the length of the word itself and the idea of the size of the words being feared; combined with phobia.

:wacky:

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
I'm not much for overlong words. I prefer middle-size words that are fun to say. Some new ones I picked up recently:

Mellifluous
mel·lif·lu·ous
məˈliflo͞oəs
adjective
(of a voice or words) sweet or musical; pleasant to hear.
"the voice was mellifluous and smooth"
synonyms: sweet-sounding, dulcet, honeyed, mellow, soft, liquid, silvery, soothing, rich, smooth, euphonious, harmonious, tuneful, musical

Elocutionary
elocutionary
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Wikipedia.
Related to elocutionary: elocute
el·o·cu·tion (ĕl′ə-kyo͞o′shən)
n.
1. The art of public speaking in which gesture, vocal production, and delivery are emphasized.
2. A style or manner of speaking, especially in public.
[Middle English elocucioun, from Latin ēlocūtiō, ēlocūtiōn-, from ēlocūtus, past participle of ēloquī, to speak out : ē-, ex-, ex- + loquī, to speak; see tolkw- in the Appendix of Indo-European roots.]

Happy Little Lemon

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Sledged
You've just put me in mind of the Hungarian Phrase Book sketch :lol: it reminded me of this book of mangled English I've had for forever by some dude who tried to translate Portuguese into English using a French-Portuguese phrasebook and a French-English dictionary. I couldn't find the book but I found a link online and someone might get a few giggles out of it, so: http://www.exclassics.com/espoke/espkpdf.pdf.

The introduction is immense, so I would scroll past to the madness which starts about page 14. I don't remember the letters and anecdotes being just as funny but the vocabulary and (ostensibly) familiar phrases are hilarious, and a few of the dialogues are pure gold. In particular 'For to ride a horse', it might be the most insane example I have ever seen, and I once had a Spanish textbook with a two-headed crow that talked to itself :monster:

Last edited:

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Starting at page 22, I was laughing out loud. Thanks!

Have you seen already the new tragedy? They praise her very much.
It is multitude already.
Never I had seen the parlour so full.
This actor he make very well her part.
That piece is full of interest.
It have wondered the spectadors.
The curtains let down.
Go out us.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
So far I have discovered that 'Chinaman' is actually an occupation and not an outdated nomenclature. Also 'Coochman' is a profession.

Some Wigs are edible, best served with Hog Fat.

It's astonishing. Not only is it like 80% inaccurate, but 80% incomplete. There are only five colours?

White - OK
Cray - ????
Gridelin - ???
Musk - ???
Red -OK

These apricots and these peaches make me and to come water in the mouth.

I have mind to vomit.
Since you not go out, I shall go out nor I neither.
That may dead if I lie you.

^THIS. I RECOGNISED THIS!

@1.31

Ite you need to write a whole play in this style. FOR GREAT JUSTICE! - That could be the title!

Happy Little Lemon

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Sledged
Starting at page 22, I was laughing out loud. Thanks!

I am very delight of it! :lol:

@Octo: Whatever criteria was used for the selection/omission of words must have been truly bizarre. I usually start to crack up laughing when I get to the animals, and some of the things filed under 'Fishes and Shellfishes' :lol: When I read the dialogues I have to assume the guy had some sort of behavioural disorder!

And don't eat the wigs - you must have hog'slard and vegetables boiled to a pap! ...'I have mind to vomit' might come in handy afterwards.

Fangu

Great Old One
My favourite from that book is 'I have mind to vomit'. I totally relate :monster:

Directly translated Portuguese appears to be ten times more hilarious than directly translated Norwegian, which can be hilarious too. I remember Yop and I doing Norwegian to English and Dutch to English in a chat once, like, typing out all the sentences that way, it was really funny.

It looked pretty weird out, for to say it like so!

Happy Little Lemon

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Sledged
I love hearing what other people's favourites are ^_^ There are a a few stand out to me as funnier because they are the sort of things my brother has said, or would say :lol: 'Can you do me a coat?' is exactly how he would address someone (and he would consider that a mannerly request too!) and he did once accuse someone of giving him 'bad looks'. He's very blunt and disapproves of all my words, but he has come up with some cracking expressions on the farm!

My bff's favourite is 'Keep the chestnut of the fire with the cat foot'. Not sure if this is because he thinks the chestnut makes it sounds festive... or because he hates cats... or because he loves fire. Judging by the fb conversation I'd say it's the last two :monster:
pzTPq91.jpg

O4rbVpU.jpg

Top Bottom