• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance (August 30th)

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Little thing that I noticed that I had forgotten when I rewatched it was the rock that ate something had the little rumbling leech mushrooms on the ground by it. Also, I've been reading all of The Dark Crystal: Creation Myths comics, and they're SO good. They're a deeper exploration of the larger cycles around the time before everything happened with the Darkening of the Crystal, and there're a lot of really interesting points that provide a deeper insight into who the Skeksis are, and what's different about them being on Thra. On top of that, it's always really interesting about having vignettes that connect loosely and indirectly.

The thing that I find most interesting so far has to do with the ending of Age of Resistance:
The Gruenak are the ones who get sacrificed to create the Garthim, but we know that there are more than just the two Garthim even though we've only seen the two Greunak. Additionally, we don't know much about where the Gruenak came from, but it seems likely that they'll need to have a way to create more of them. What's interesting to me is that there is another similar-looking race on Thra known as the Makrak who are from the world beneath (which is also where the Firelings are from, and that world changed significantly when the shard was broken from the crystal).

It makes me wonder if there's any possibility that we'll be digging into some hints about the world below existing any time during the second season, especially because of Deet's connection to that world and it being overtaken by the Darkening. It would be neat to get some other subtle hints about other things that've happened / will come to happen involving those other inhabitants of Thra, because they're functionally cut off by the Darkening at the moment.

There are lots of little world depth things that they could hint at without diving into greater details since they don't really emerge again for another thousand years in some cases. I'd really love hearing a small hint about something like Aughra's son Raunip having gone to the Field of Fire, or something that just is a small nod to other things would be interesting to see/hear especially if we get a chance to spend time with some of the other Gelfling clans we've only seen at a distance.

I really feel like the Crystal Bats and the Ascendency are other things likely to hear about in a second season if they get another one, since they seem to have some connections that haven't been drawn, and would offer a good way to tell some interesting stories, especially to see all of the ways that each of the groups attempt to address the individual difficulties that they're faced with tackling.

X :neo:

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Thinking about this show in the context of the original movie, and had a meme idea ;)

GT7dNrL.gif

h0CK1Wq.gif

yMtFDHi.gif

a8zNePP.gif

hJTKUBK.gif

tumblr_px8x73sq2V1wtxe2po2_500.gif

Last edited:

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
I read goddamn everything on ComiXology, and I always recommend it. They're connected to Amazon, so if you have an account there all your comics also exist digitally via them. Additionally, I just learned that there's an upcoming comic for Age of Resistance, too!!!

Here's a search for them in the store within the collections for an easy overview, since that avoids getting them all issue-by-issue: https://www.comixology.com/search/items?search=the+dark+crystal&subType=COLLECTIONS (if you're in the EU, this will pop up a redirect to your region's store). EDIT: It's worth noting that they're all currently on sale, because of Age of Resistance just debuting on Netflix.

These three are the big ones:

• The Dark Crystal: Creation Myths (Vol 1, Vol 2, Vol 3)
– This is a bunch of stories that cover everything from before the emergence of the UrSkeks all the way to approaching Age of Resistance. It is and was the official prequel to the film when it was made. You learn a lot about who Aughra is, where the Urskek came from, how they became split, what's such a big deal about The Great Conjunction, how things started to come into place around the early periods leading up to Age of Resistance, as well as learning about some other interesting things and races in Thra that most prominently involve Raunip – Aughra's son.

• Power of the Dark Crystal (Vol 1, Vol 2, Vol 3)
• Beneath the Dark Crystal (
Vol 1, Vol 2, Vol 3)
– This covers what was initially planned as the sequel film to The Dark Crystal. The comic Power is the first, and then Beneath is the follow-up to it. They cover the race of the Firelings who live in the world below (hinted at in the final volume of Creation Myths and inspired by Jim Henson's early drafts of the original film), and what happens long after the events in the film and the Crystal has been fixed. (Note: Vol 3 of Beneath isn't out yet, because the final issue of that one just came out last week, so you might have to grab single issues of that if you want binge them all).

There're also a few other ones: "Tales" is a children's book (albeit one with VERY pretty art) and "A Discovery Adventure" which is a more simple kids' activity book. Both of those ones are set just around the time of the original film. Additionally, there's the the "Artist Tribute" which is really just a damned pretty artbook with some of the comic covers and other original artwork. These are the ones that are likely less interesting as comics, but if you like artwork and/or have younger kids, they'd probably be worth owning in some capacity, but maybe not digitally.

:bigawesomonster:

X:neo:

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
I can promise you that if you read Creation Myths, you'll find that the details are even MORE unnerving and fascinating than the bits that Age of Resistance revealed (with the help of Barnaby Dixon's very smol puppets). The particular details about how and why the UrSkek arrived on Thra, and what caused them to split is just... so very interesting on a deep personal level, but also in a very human sort of way. The forces of light and darkness as they're portrayed along with the regard to mortality and the passage of time in the comics is just SO very interesting in ways that I don't want to spoil.

It feels very much like it'd be fine to keep that conversation here under appropriately labeled spoiler tags, but if there's a want to do so, I can split it out into a comic thread. I don't want to unless needed since new posts here makes @Fangu giddy, but also because I think it'll give rise to a lot of interesting discussion, just like watching the original film and whatnot. (Oh, and all those comics are currently on sale. Gonna add that in to that post as well).

I really want to watch the series again already. I miss Hup & Deet.

X:neo:

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
I don’t get the amount of love Hup gets compared to the other supporting characters like Tavra and Gurgin. But don’t get me wrong I love Hup too, especially when
he stops Rian before they part ways to wish him safety and luck. Admittedly I was a little miffed that for a few episodes his only screentime was as Friend-Zone-Frankie but his relationship with Rian develops in the crystal desert beyond rivalry which I liked. Hup’s a good dude.

Fangu

Great Old One
@X-SOLDIER keep discussing it here, but put spoiler tags on the comics, novels & movie stuff, maybe? A separate thread for comics would work fine too, but in the end this is all part of the same universe, and we're (so far) just a handful of people obsessing discussing in it.

I'm really close to getting the Lee novels, I heard they're a good read.

Also... this.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
@Mr. Ite For me the love of Hup is really closely connected to the love that I had of the Podlings from back in the original film for a lot of years. Finally getting to see a Podling main character who's still got all of the absolutely lovable goofiness that they've always had, but so that he's capable of being really self-aware (like when he calls out the truth about his spoon & feels defeated). I love the sort of pure child-like conviction that he has and that when that gets rewarded it feels really good. Specifically that pairs really well with the "stranger in a strange land" innocence of Deet, and how they support each other's seeming naïveté and also manage to rise above it.

Also, because he's also a bit of a more child-like comical character by nature, it's easier to empathize with him for things like the airsick, "Hup want die." scene and other things like that that are both funny & deeply sad at the same time in a perfectly relatable way. It's the most muppet-like lovable qualities that I feel that by virtue of who & what he is that he gets to embody in a way that the other characters don't by being a foil to them, which makes him stand out the way he does.

You hit the nail on the head there X-Soldier.

dies and her Fizzgig mourns her, the grief was palpable. I'm tearing up just now thinking about it. Something about that funny little muppet opening its mouth and howling managed to sum up everything I've ever known about grief.

Nowadays when so many shows seem to be ironic and jaded and knowing, it's so wonderful to watch something that is played sincerely and from the heart.

Fangu

Great Old One
^ What Lisa Henson says about Netflix' original commissions is really interesting, particularly paired with this:
"When [showrunners] Jeffrey Addiss and Will Matthews pitched us their version of the series, it actually did continue on past this and then we realized it was moving too quickly and we cut it back," she revealed. "So even though we made 10 episodes, we only have produced six of their original episodes."

https://nordic.ign.com/jim-henson/28853/news/dark-crystal-age-of-resistance-producer-talks-season-2

Edit: I'm fairly sure the first episode would be mostly unchanged between the original pitch and what came to be. And I think that's why I had a bit of problems/ uninterest with the first episode - there was a lot of stuff needed to be set up and explain and characters to be introduced. There was not much time to breathe. The second episode, though, felt much more comfortable in terms of pace and getting to know the world and characters etc.

tl;dr I'm SO happy they made the adjustments they did.

Last edited:

Clean Cut Chaos

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Cub Chaos
I watched some of the making of documentary on Netflix and it was so interesting to see the early tests where they tried to incorporate CG characters in with the puppets and it just couldn't work. 30 years of advancements in CG technology and they still can't match the charm and character of actual puppetry.

I have a 4 year in computer art and animation and even I'm getting sick of CG everything. I really hope they win awards for this show.

Now I just need to stop obsessively playing old FF's so I can get through the entire show.

Fangu

Great Old One
Oh... that video was the bloopers, right. I didn't get to see it before it was taken down :/

Guess I'll have to be content with the Tumblr gifs. Bah.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Oh my gods, I'm so glad that there's a working version of itttttt!! It makes me laugh so hard every damn time!

Also – The first issue of the Age of Resistance comic started today, and I'm gonna read it after work!!!!

Top Bottom