• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

The Epic Final Fantasy Medleys

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
So, you like your music with five-second gaps in the middle?

They're called medleys for a reason: every song flows into the next. I think it would be great if the two halves were joined up in a similar way :)

Thank you so much Marc Papeghin for sharing this work directly with us. Your medleys definitely get a spot in my Final Fantasy playlists on YouTube. These medleys are all the more impressive with them being a collaborative effort, as that makes any project more difficult to coordinate. :salute:

Many points for the creative editing at the end! It blew me away that you went to the extra effort with FF8-style text windows and using the disc-transition background. Beautiful. :headbang:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
How exactly do you go about writing these? Do you start by finding which songs are in the same key (or keys that are thirds and fifths of each other), or do you simply list out the songs you want to use and find a way to put them together?

M_Papeghin

Pro Adventurer
Thank you everyone ! :)

Excellent as usual! Will there be an epic-length Epic Final Fantasy VIII medley with both parts in one video at some point?

Will think about it ! ;)

How exactly do you go about writing these? Do you start by finding which songs are in the same key (or keys that are thirds and fifths of each other), or do you simply list out the songs you want to use and find a way to put them together?

I rarely think in terms of keys first, that's something I often figure out later.
When starting to build a medley, I try to find the songs that could work well together, and then it's like a giant puzzle to solve where each piece has to fit perfectly in the end !
I usually know pretty quickly which song is going to open a medley and which one's gonna close it. Then it's a matter of finding the perfect sequence in-between so that everything flows perfectly.
I work a lot on the transitions since I want them to sound very natural, that is when I'll start playing with the keys. (I like to keep the original keys but in a lot of cases it's just not possible !)
My medleys also constantly evolve, I move a lot of things around, take things out and add things until the whole thing sounds coherent to my ears, musically speaking !

For example, some sections in FF8 Part 2 ( Retaliation, the Castle's choir ) were never there to begin with and were added much later in the process ( when I thought I already had the final structure ! )

I constantly have new ideas, which is why it takes me so long to finish these ^^

Kuja9001

Ooooh Salty!
AKA
roxas9001, Krat0s9001, DarkSlayerZero
I seriously wanna a XIII trilogy melody now.

I can't fathom how Snow's Theme(LR version), Consider his love an honor, or Caius' Theme would sound.

M_Papeghin

Pro Adventurer
I seriously wanna a XIII trilogy melody now.

I can't fathom how Snow's Theme(LR version), Consider his love an honor, or Caius' Theme would sound.

I know I would get serious goosebumps while recording Caius' Theme ^_^

And here's the second part of the Making-of ;)

Lex

Administrator
I completely agree that Fisherman's Horizon is one of the most beautiful melodies Uematsu's ever written. It really is. Also your little bit of trivia near the end had me laughing XD.

I like how you talked about transitions - one of my favourite transitions is actually in the FFV medley, between "The Battle" and "Harvest", I often find myself skipping back to it just to listen two or three times before I continue with the rest of the medley. Awesome stuff.

I feel greedy requesting certain stuff but since you invited such requests at the end of the video......

You mentioned that you were considering a FFX medley, which would be amazing. One of my favourite but simultaneously almost-disliked tracks is Seymour Battle, because it lacks... bass in the original. Or power or something. It's lacking something and I feel like if it had that something then it would be phenomenal and epic instead of just... kind of epic. The remaster version is quite cool (yet still lacking bass and power even when the awesome guitar kicks in), but I definitely feel like if you were to include that you would do it a level of justice that hasn't been achieved before. It's a fantastic song and I'd love to hear you cover it.

M_Papeghin

Pro Adventurer
I completely agree that Fisherman's Horizon is one of the most beautiful melodies Uematsu's ever written. It really is. Also your little bit of trivia near the end had me laughing XD.

I like how you talked about transitions - one of my favourite transitions is actually in the FFV medley, between "The Battle" and "Harvest", I often find myself skipping back to it just to listen two or three times before I continue with the rest of the medley. Awesome stuff.

I feel greedy requesting certain stuff but since you invited such requests at the end of the video......

You mentioned that you were considering a FFX medley, which would be amazing. One of my favourite but simultaneously almost-disliked tracks is Seymour Battle, because it lacks... bass in the original. Or power or something. It's lacking something and I feel like if it had that something then it would be phenomenal and epic instead of just... kind of epic. The remaster version is quite cool (yet still lacking bass and power even when the awesome guitar kicks in), but I definitely feel like if you were to include that you would do it a level of justice that hasn't been achieved before. It's a fantastic song and I'd love to hear you cover it.

Thanks man !
Wasn't sure at first if I had to put that "bit of trivia" but, oh well...it did exactly happened that way after all :joy:

And I totally agree with you about Seymour.
Always felt the original arrangement lacked something...it could/should definitely sound more kick-ass !

Lex

Administrator
Have to say, I love that middle-eastern style transition at the 1:10-2:40 mark.

I think I remember reading a hint at what you're working on next in one of your YouTube comments but I don't remember what it is, I might have to go digging :D.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Force, lawl.

M_Papeghin

Pro Adventurer
Thanks guys !
Ever since I brought that Tabla from Egypt I've wanted to include it in a cover :)

About the next FF Medley, it's progressing really well !
It's actually turned out to be the most ambitious project I've ever done

M_Papeghin

Pro Adventurer
I'd always wanted to do an extended version of Liberi Fatali... and so finally, here it is !
Featuring no less than 30 musicians and singers :)

Top Bottom