The Expanse

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato

First episode of this is out. It looks pretty damn great. Don't let the MC's fedora fool you, it's harder science fiction then most.

I hope visual effects of the pilot's first scene aren't a one off though.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
That's not a fedora, :monster:

tumblr_n9rwgnkOhD1toufi7o1_1280.jpg

I read the first book of this series somewhat recently and I had no idea that it was gonna be turned into a TV show. :monster: My main issue with the book was that the characters didn't really do much for me, but the political backdrop with Earth, Mars, and the Belt was pretty interesting. The trailer looks good - I'll probably check it out at some point.

Lex

Administrator
Bump

Started watching this on Netflix. I'm on episode 4, enjoying it so far. There are two seasons to dig into and apparently it's been renewed for third.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
This is something I REALLY need to get around to watching. I keep hearing spectacular things about it. Maybe after Orphan Black ends, I can get into this.

X :neo:

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
How do they handle the fact that non-Earthers (including 90% of the main cast) are 8ft tall spindly people?

Lex

Administrator
They make them spindly people and talk about the muscle/ deformed development etc. Haven't seen much of a height difference, but being held on earth has been used as a form of torture due to the gravity difference/ body deformations, which was interesting.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
It's a bit naff in some places, although not as naff as that space country western thing everyone masturbates over, but it's pretty good. I like how it's (mostly) hard sci-fi, like how travel times are actually long - although not as long as in the book - and realistic, based on orbital mechanics instead of magic. (I played KSP, I'm pretty much a scientist now :monster: ).

Wait there's a season 2 already? Why's my Netflix not saying as much?

Lex

Administrator
Season 2 isn't on Netflix yet, but it finished airing months ago so to watch it I'm just going with ye olde faithful downloads :monster:

Finished season 1 just there. Weird experience watching a season finale just before leaving for work, but I woke up early and thought why not make breakfast more interesting? Excited to come home to season 2 now :D

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
Bump :monster:

I just started watching season 2 finally, and I still like this quite a lot. I was following stuff about it on Twitter and am happy to see it being continued after the 3rd season, although I don't wanna pay for Amazon right now so I probably won't see it for ages, but it's nice to know that someday I can.
I've not watched a lot of stuff in the past few years and this is addicting so I'm really enjoying it.

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
I'm halfway through season 3 now. IT'S SO GOOD AAAAAAA
It's been a little while since I've found a tv series like this. Like, it's addicting, yes, but also really fucking good. I really care about a lot of these characters. The usual four on the ship are just like, yesssss. :weary: I feel so invested in their stories, the individual ones and the ones they share. They also feel *real* to me, like over time you can see the way they somehow all work together. They seemed like such a mismatch at first, but then you see them all respect each other, and get close, and it's like, yeah, they know each other and they care in their own ways and it's brilliant.
Alex's side story with his family, even though it's just a small thing here and there, it gets me emotional every time. The part where he left the message to his wife about how he feels more at home away from them and in space, doing what he's doing, compared to being with them, really hit me. Yet he still loves them. He loves them but staying there with them isn't what he yearns to do and that's not something I see too often in a story. Idk, I fucking love his character (like the rest of them).
Beyond the characters, who are all pretty damn compelling and fascinating and sometimes lovable, the story is intriguing as fuck. It's got the right amount of politics, emotion, mystery, sci-fi, and realism to just like make an amazing series. I like how it balances things; there's no episode that feels like a waste, there's always something new happening that pulls the plot forward believably. And so much mystery, I love it! I crave that sort of thing in any sort of media (games, books, movies, etc): a good mystery that pulls at you, that never reveals too much but enough to sate some curiosity and create even more.

Since I now know these are based off a series of novels, I just might have to grab some to read now and see if I enjoy it. I already know I'm gonna feel sad once I finish this season this week. But I've been enjoying watching it so much and it's been a while since I've been able to get hooked on a series. It's amazing to have something new to enjoy right now, and I'm going to treasure it. ^_^

EDIT: Wait is there seriously only one page for this show?! Wtf I thought there were more! Heck, you guys :monster:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Same for NL, but then, it's not a Netflix show so Netflix is unreliable as fuck for things like that. A damn shame too. If my family wasn't all watching netflix either (sharing my account) I'd probably pause it frequently because I honestly don't care about most Netflix originals.

wander

‪‫‬‭ ‮
Hats are just a mistake. It's not even a gender thing, women look stupid in hats too. Even if you think you're pulling it off, ask yourself: would I not look better without the cunting hat. Guarantee the answer will be yes.

wander

‪‫‬‭ ‮
It's a bit naff in some places, although not as naff as that space country western thing everyone masturbates over, but it's pretty good. I like how it's (mostly) hard sci-fi, like how travel times are actually long - although not as long as in the book - and realistic, based on orbital mechanics instead of magic. (I played KSP, I'm pretty much a scientist now :monster: ).

Wait there's a season 2 already? Why's my Netflix not saying as much?
You on about Firefly? That show's biggest fans only liked it because they were masturbating over the female engineer because omg womens with spanners. I liked the episode with the assassin just because he was crackers, the others were basically shit.

Biggest joke is how Joss Whedon was like "oh I'm a feminist I want to empower womens and give them leading roles I wish I was a woman xDDD" and was then exposed as a cheating scumbag by his ex-wife.

Top Bottom