The Final Fantasy XIV Thread [Endwalker - 6.45]

Lex

Administrator
So I know those are the official lyrics but I watched a fan made lyric video a thousand times before they were released and now I can't unhear it :monster:

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
I don't think I was ready...

This was one of the best endings in the franchise, holy shit!

Top-notch presentation, music, dialogue, lore implications (so many I can't count). It's peak FF game the moment you enter that place. My head was blowing up, having excited segments playing out while the lore reveals itself at the same time is magical, and it all makes sense no matter how surprising because everything is carefully build up. Stellar.

Shadowbringers overall was a solid and great expansion, but the ending was FFXIV at its best.

As a big fan of the previous expansions, its hard to make a choice, but I definitely feel like if one day I had the chance to replay one of them I would choose Shadows. I think it got the best zones, OST, and story beats (despite your usual filler in the middle), and the climax is nothing short of incredible.

Wol

AKA
Rosarian Shield
Are you talking about the 5.0 ending or the patches? :3

Either way I fully agree :monster:

It was pure entrancing hype. Incredible final zone. Finding the backstory of the Ascians, the Warrior of Light, Emet (Emet.. cunning but honest), and everything that played out in the final dungeon amplified by incredible compositions (nothing like when Soken turns a soothing melancholic melody and turns into an epic and heroic tune, Mortal Instants is one of his best yet).

I'm already playing on later patches and I can't commend enough the initial Bozja questline and the Weapons series. Fighting in a mecha was nerdgasmic. I feel XIV's team leveled up in general in terms of creating interesting events and stories, even the optional dungeons are delivering a lot more than usual.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lex

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
(nothing like when Soken turns a soothing melancholic melody and turns into an epic and heroic tune, Mortal Instants is one of his best yet)

Resident soundtrack nerd chiming in to say that credit for the Mortal Instants arrangement goes to Ken Ito and Daiki Ishikawa (with it being based on a Soken theme of course) :awesomonster:

Reactions: Wol

Lex

Administrator
Sakaguchi continues to be a legend:

I'm really glad his relationship with Square has improved in the past 6 or so years (pretty much since he showed up at the FFXV live event to endorse it). I know he's a bit of a loose cannon (which is highly entertaining) but he did literally invent FF. I always felt like the series lost something when he parted with Square but it's impossible to really know if that's true.

It's just that at the time, FFX-2 and then FFXII were the first two FF games that didn't feel like "real" FF games to me and it only got worse from there. You all know I love some of the later titles now (particularly XII), but it took time because they weren't what I was expecting. It's hard to know for sure if that's got anything to do with Sakaguchi, but the timing is hard to ignore (X-2 being the very first "Square-enix" title aswell).

Last edited:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
While I'm sure there's something to that, the fact that two of my top four favorites reportedly had considerably less of his input always prevented me from completely ascribing to the wider consensus the series was inherently lesser without him. (6 and 9 being the Sakaguchi-heavy, 7 and 10 being the less so). I guess the degree to which he's taken to XIV speaks to that :lol:

But that was a nice summary :) He's very sentimental, haha

Wol

AKA
Rosarian Shield
5.3 done.

best patch story-wise, easily. I'm tired of giving them compliments, but Spoilers

The dialogue between Wol and Exarch before the final battle and the farewell scenes afterwards were a lot emotional and touching (cried when Ardbert spoke with Seto).

before, the scions and other supporting characters were just assistants at best, but in Shadowbringers they felt like essential companions that can go even as far as making a way to travel through time to save you. The achievements here were a solid joint effort.

In terms of character interaction, the scions had a lot more presence and opportunity to shine, in fact.

The final battle was a spectacle in all respects, scenario, ost and surprises considered (Emet, Azem...). A gran finale fitting for a great story.

Last edited:

Wol

AKA
Rosarian Shield
Thank for the delay, I've managed to complete the storyline and relevant side-content in time for Endwalker, no rushing and I even amassed 2 million MGP!

The Sorrow of Werlyt and Bozja surprised me by their level of presentation, giving an insider perspective of the empire and its factions (fuck Van Varros), and they're both superior to their respective content on previous expansions.

Playing as the Scions was really exciting on Death Unto Dawn. I need that Break magic and whatever Estinien smokes to use multiple Stardivers in a row. Paglthan was such a beautiful and epic dungeon too.

Other scenes that I like it a lot were the whole deal with the pirates, kobolds, and Admiral in Oghomoro (mad respect for her), and the twins's father schooling them in Lotus Stand.

I'm still not convinced with Fandaniel, he's sure is entertaining but so far seems one-dimensional.

Anyway, tomorrow is the big day

Last edited:

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
I wonder if Goblin is some form of aberration of a FFXIV server world (in a good way?), the queue there was only in the mid 30s (granted, I was logging in around 3am-4am PST, but I still expected a longer queue).

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Just finished the second trial

Shiiiiiiiieeeet, we get to do a trial with the Scions?!?

This is awesome not only for story reasons but also because lol no queue wait times as it's in the middle of the night for me :'D

That music! This bombastic arrangement of Answers...damn! Can't wait to look at the OST credits whenever it's out but this sounded like Yoshitaka Suzuki. That man is a beast when it comes to orchestral arrangements and shit. Would bet at least 4 bucks it was him. 5 even, I feel generous.

Fight felt like it took forever, I actually wiped once despite the fact this gives you three extra lives lol whoops

During the crystal phase, even a bunch of the Scions got KO'd briefly somehow. I noticed some of them intentionally make mistakes so that you have to think for yourself a bit. Most of the time in the dungeon boss fights you can just follow where the Scions stand and it's safe but here it didn't seem to be the case and they occasionally get hit by telegraphed mechanics too.

God, I hope that means I can take them into the final boss as well then. With where the story is currently going, it's gotta be the case. Wouldn't feel right now to do it with randos!

I gotta air my annoyance too, that second half of Labyrinthos where you have to do a bunch of chores sucked mostly because...what the fuck is that music? It feels entirely mismatched as it seems more like "exciting cutscene"-style music but it plays over you doing regular MSQ tasks like talking to a bunch of people and carrying crates around. It's such a short loop too so it becomes very repetitive and annoying fast and this section can last an hour or two or more. I actually muted BGM for this part. Never have I done this but the music here got so damn grating. O.o
This needs to be patched lol
I know it's intentional but...fix it please :')

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Literally just finished Endwalker

AcceptableBlondBalloonfish-max-1mb.gif

I'm exhausted now

may say stuff later :faint:

Wol

AKA
Rosarian Shield
I can confidently say this is the best expansion story-wise just by the sheer amount of grand events that happens. By level 84 quests, it already feels like a worthwhile ending of a 10-year arc.

I'm still doing 86 quests and the 5th zone is further solidifying this opinion. There's so much, I don't know how some managed to finish it in 1-2 days.

A few impressions:

- It starts slow but goddamn they make sure to build up every detail. The worldbuilding is insane.
- like in Shadowbringers, the interaction between Scions is the best it has ever been and being able to walk with them around town is awesome.
- Found the secondary npcs to be charismatic. Nidhana, Erenville, Jullus, Matsya.
- There's room for improvement, but the duties have been pretty great so far, mainly in Garlemald... that was tense. I hope they keep varying the duties.
- Amazing OST, Sharlayan day time, Thavnair night time, Garlemald, sub-boss theme, and Mare Lamentorum are the hightlights.

Really can't wait to see what's in store in the next quests!

Last edited:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I gotta air my annoyance too, that second half of Labyrinthos where you have to do a bunch of chores sucked mostly because...what the fuck is that music? It feels entirely mismatched as it seems more like "exciting cutscene"-style music but it plays over you doing regular MSQ tasks like talking to a bunch of people and carrying crates around. It's such a short loop too so it becomes very repetitive and annoying fast and this section can last an hour or two or more.

I turned my mount music back on for this part :awesome:

Reactions: Wol

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
i started playing the free trial at the new year (base game and first expansion up to level 60 with no time limit), but:

- when i log in i have a counter showing number of days valid
- i was invited to and able to join a free company
- i have hired a retainer

i was under the impression that you shouldn't be able to do the later two during the free trial. i haven't tried things like sending letters or making a linkshell. i got messages saying i didn't have permission to use certain features which i assumed were because of the free trial, but now i don't know if that was because i wasn't far enough in the main quest. because one of those features were hiring retainers and i have one of those now. so i don't know if it is the free trial i'm playing now. i was going to try some other restricted stuff like the /shout command or something to test it next time i play.

i logged into the mogstation site and it says my account type is normal and i'm apparently on the standard course plan set to expire at the start of february. i don't know if that's what the trial is meant to say or i'm not actually on the trial. i played the relaunch second beta on the ps3 whenever that was so maybe that discounts me from using the free trial, but i don't know why i'd have 30 days to play? i've never bought the game and don't remember paying for a subscription.

i'm going to try to finish the main quests before the end of the month (
i'm up to joining a grand company after ifrit
) just in case it does stop there. although i am thinking of buying it because i'm enjoying it. i would be further in the main quest if i did keep getting distracted by other stuff and now i'm a higher level as a miner than i am in my starting class of archer (for which i still haven't unlocked the advanced class because i haven't done enough main quest missions).

although i was considering getting the latest expansion (which includes the previous 2 as well?), i don't think you can actually play it without getting the starter/complete set (which would include all the expansions?)?? which isn't for sale at the moment so if i can't play it at the end of the month i guess i'll have to wait. also i don't even know if i'd be able to pay the subscription since both my accounts are for a different region than where i live and idk if they would accept payment. i've seen conflicting things about getting crysta with foreign cards, might end up having to go with prepaid cards if it doesn't work

Top Bottom