• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

The Final Fantasy XIV Thread [Endwalker - 6.45]

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
Yes I believe I finally worked out the tomestones of lore are the best bet and they aren't being stingy with them. But hot damn that was not easy to find anywhere.

And why has the esoteric gear been removed and locked away behind those hunts? First of all, the Heavensward Artifact Job Gear should have been given with the level 60 job quests. Then they make it even harder to get?

Same with the original Tomestones of Soldiery, Philosophy and Mythology - the gear got outclassed by the new one and the demand for the tomes dropped accordingly (or more accurately the developers wanted players to sink more time into grinding more tome types because more player time = more money for Big Papa Square.

I find these concept of Tomestones interesting anyway. Tome = Book, Stone = Stone. So basically each one is a little bit of stories and history of the Allagan Empire. And yet they are being tossed about as currency. I mean, don't some bits of info have more value?

Take the Tomestones of Law. Are you telling me the Allagan Bill of Rights has the same scholarly value as the code referring to the minimum fine for parking your giant robot in a no parking zone?

And what about Tomestones of Mythology. Ancient Allagan creation myths have the same value as Allagan fanfiction? Come on now... :monster:

Edit:

Types of Tomestones

Heavensward

Scripture - Allagan Tomestone of Scripture was introduced in patch 3.4. It is used to purchase Item level 260 weapons and armor.

Lore - Allagan Tomestone of Lore was introduced in patch 3.2. It is used to purchase Item level 230 weapons and armor.

Esoterics - Allagan Tomestone of Esoterics was introduced in patch 3.05. It was used to purchase Item level 200 weapons and armor. As of patch 3.4, only 'miscellaneous' items are sold. Armor and Gear have been removed from the original vendor.

Law - Allagan Tomestone of Law was introduced in patch 3.0. It was used to purchase item level 170 weapons and armor. It became obsolete with patch 3.2.

A Realm Reborn

Poetics - Allagan Tomestone of Poetics was introduced in patch 2.4. It is used to purchase item level 120 Ironworks Armor, Ironworks Accessories and Ironworks Magitek Weapons.

Soldiery - Allagan Tomestone of Soldiery was introduced in patch 2.2. It was used to purchase item level 100 Weathered Armor, Weathered Accessories and Weathered Weapons. It became obsolete with the introduction of Heavensward

Mythology - Allagan Tomestone of Mythology was introduced in patch 2.0. It was used to purchase iLvl 90 Armor and Accessories. It became obsolete in patch 2.4.

Philosophy - Allagan Tomestone of Philosophy was introduced in patch 2.0. It was used to purchase iLvl 70 Darklight armor and accessories. It became obsolete in patch 2.2.

AvecAloes

Donator
Spamming dungeons doesn't necessarily sound bad to me, but I honestly feel reeeeally bad for whatever poor schmucks get stuck with a healer who hasn't played in a lonnnnng ass time >.>

ForceStealer

Double Growth
You can get ilvl 245 gear (better then Lore gear) from the latest Expert Roulette.

Yeah I have a lot of dungeons to go before that roulette is available to me. And I just need to get up to 180 (176) to continue the story. I never did get around to Void Ark before my hiatus so I will have to do that.

And I remember the dungeon roulette/tomestone grind well. It's just that Idyllshire has 40 merchants each accepting three different currencies for wildly different gear, I had no idea which was going to be the most efficient to get. Also I still have the esoterics I was gathering from before the hiatus which I thought should get me some old, but still better gear that was more expensive when I left. But they take all that equipment away, and it's the artifact armor. Screw you guys (now, the summoner artifact armor looks awful in my opinion, but that's beside the point).

It was also weird to me that Poetics could still buy equipment when esoterics can't, because Poetics are older. So that was part of my confusion as well.

Last edited:

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
Don't forget to unlock and run the various Alexander raids. You'll get Law and Scripture tomes for doing so, as well as increasingly good gear rewards.
Alexander 1-4 rewards i190 gear
A5-8 rewards i220 gear
A9-12 rewards i250 gear.

For now you're likely stuck with the first tier, but if you haven't already done it you should. Plus the story isn't half bad.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I've done the first tier...wasn't highly impressed with it, as I recall. Though I heard Alexander the summon finally gets his due at the end.

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
The fights improve massively. Iirc the first tier was criticised by many as being rather dull, which they responded to at the time. It was definitely heard because 5-12 is pretty fantastic.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Do Alexander if simply to do the last boss fight at least once. I get goosebumps when his ult comes up becasue everyone working on that fight did such a good job at it. They really sold the idea of him being the Primal of Time/Space/Holy with his attack mechanics.

Poetics is still available as a Tomestone becasue it's the highest level Tomestone you can get if you haven't bought HW. Just like Scripture will probably always be available as it's the highest level Tomestone if you aren't going to buy SB.

Idyllshire has two main groups of merchants. The ones on the left side going in are the end-game crafting merchants and only take crafter/gatherer's scrips. The ones in the middle sell battle gear. The one on the left trades Alexander parts/manifestos, the one in the middle trades tomestones and the one on the right manages all the weapons from both primal drops and tomestones (and some extra things that don't fit in anywhere).

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
It's so sooooo streamlined compared to other MMOs though. Imagine also having a vendor there for PvP gear, for racial gear, faction gear, reputation gear, etc. That's par for the course with a constantly updated game. XIV manages to compartmentalise them really well.

Sure it's overwhelming if you just came back after a year or so, but you gotta take into account the equivalent of an extra game has been layered on top of the last one you saw. :monster:

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
The fights improve massively. Iirc the first tier was criticised by many as being rather dull, which they responded to at the time. It was definitely heard because 5-12 is pretty fantastic.

I like the mechanics in A1 and A4, but A2 and A3 are pretty boring. A2 at the time did have problems because Tanks had apparently never done T4 and knew how to handle mass mobs. (He says still having never cleared the BCOB himself)

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I do think the stores to get high-level gear could be simplified tbf. If you don't look it up on the internets or talk to everyone / read attentively, you'd miss for example the clue to upgrading your 230 gear to 240 (or was it?). And even if you know it, it's a bit of a back-and-forth, which is lame.

I just did Alexander 9-14 (? the last one) yesterday with Lex and Joe and co, good fun; I went in blind to all of them, previously I tried to look up a guide and shit beforehand beacause git gud skrub. Off course, as DPS one has a lot less responsibility to know all the mechanics as e.g. a tank.

@avec, just do a bit of lvl 50 or lower dungeons (leveling, etc), those should be easy enough to get back into the gaem.

Miscreant

FoolISH
AKA
Pinkfish, Fish
By the way guys do you have a Lifestream Discord server?

It would be really good for arranging groups quickly etc. Now that we have cross server PF, if any of you want to run any content I'm not raiding tonight, also I'm doing my Umbrite phase of my Relic so any bonus is welcome :D

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
also I'm doing my Umbrite phase of my Relic so any bonus is welcome
Preach! :monster:

As for a Discord we don't, that I know of. I can set a general TLS one up later with a sub-section for FFXIV if people are interested. It's a lot less hassle to use than Skype.

Miscreant

FoolISH
AKA
Pinkfish, Fish
I think having a TLS Discord would be brilliant, I didn't realise how good Discord was until I recently switched over from TS.

If your free tomorrow we could spam some Atherchemical for Lore :)

Lex

Administrator
We have something else though, I can't remember what it's called. Gabe set it up. But I don't mind the Discord idea, and would also be up for lore spam because I'm also doing the Umbrite phase :D

ForceStealer

Double Growth
vuHjlMP.jpg

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
We took it to the skies of The Hinterlands and I had to lead it with the fat moogle mount. I was winding a congo line of fat chocobos around the pillars of the big bridge :monster:

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
So thanks to mog station being fucking shit I now have an extra steam Heavensward cd key that I need to sell, anyone here want it?

Top Bottom