The Final Fantasy XIV Thread [Endwalker - 6.45]

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Alright, gotcha. Am I going to be at a huge disadvantage if I play on PC with a PS4 controller? I know it's easier to do stuff with mouse and keyboard but I just prefer having a controller in my hand.

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
Not at all. You'll be best at whatever you're most comfortable with. I know Marcus plays on controller and Lex does too mostly, if I'm not mistaken.

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare

Aaaah so cool <3

I've been considering playing XIV for a while but last weekend in London finally convinced me. I think it was partly seeing how many other people were into it and partly just taking any excuse to spend more time, even just online time, with you guys. <3

I've been wanting to play it for a while myself, for pretty much the same reasons (excluding being in London off course!). ^_^ I feel miffed that I've not been able to try out the new internet yet, but I've been so busy I haven't had time to call them. I'm home today so, might be the perfect time, and if the trial of XIV works with it then I could plaaaaay tooooo <3

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Be careful going with a Tanking class right off the bat. Healer too, but it's not as bad. Both those classes require you to know more about how certain mob mechanics work then DPS have to worry about. On the other hand... both tanks and healers have faster queue times as most players don't want to worry about said mob mechanics...

I'd be around, but my main computer is down and I don't want to remake my whole HUD and hotkey setup all over again on my laptop...

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
As I said (iirc irl in the confusing data dump about the game), IIRC the game introduces concepts very gradually over time, and you can pretty much leisurely follow the storyline and get introduced to new gameplay concepts slowly. Ignore 99% of what we've said about the game so far and you should be fine :monster:

Just know that it's definitely an MMO, so its gameplay is a bit er, different from games you're familiar with. It's kind of an unnaturally controlled 3rd person game, where one half is moving your character around (you get moving / strafing and pointing your character in a direction), the other fighting (which is like err, 'enable auto attacks' which is usually automagic, and triggering abilities at a rate of approx. 1 per second).

that probably makes no sense. Go play it for like an hour; they recently announced they were going to make the demo unlimited, so it's basically a free to play game until lvl 35 (iirc).

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Less Balthier too, but, you can make your own.

Thematically it's quite close to XII / Tactics though, mixed with some magitek and shit.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Flare, maybe we could play through some of the early game together? Then again, I'm not sure how it works; are North American TLS players on a North American server, i.e. not Cerberus?

JechtShotMK9

The Sublimely Magnificent One
AKA
Kamiccolo9
Flare, maybe we could play through some of the early game together? Then again, I'm not sure how it works; are North American TLS players on a North American server, i.e. not Cerberus?

You people knocked me out and threw me in a van, and I woke up on Cerberus, so there's at least one NA player there. Can't say when the next time I'll be on is, though. Job is ramping up for the end of semester gauntlet.

Keveh Kins

Pun Enthusiast
I'll also pick it back up with new folks, I'm only like level 15 or somethin' so I'd be up for grinding out the early game with peeps and whatnot. S'more fun with people :monster:

Keveh Kins

Pun Enthusiast
Tomorrow's a bad day for me cause I'm travelling and then prior booked tomorrow evening :( Should be good pretty much any day other than Mondays though, after this weekend :)

EDIT: Shit, tomorrow's only Saturday ¬_¬ I'm travelling on Sunday, but I'm up home in Donegal at the moment with nay access to my PS4. Travelling back to Dublin on Sunday and then out on Sunday evening and Monday evening, but any days after that forevermore should work for me except Mondays.

Well done Kevin, you calendered

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
So I had a 30 days of access through an old bundle and I decided to redeem it. Turns out that may have been a mistake because now I can't do the free trial. Good start. :lol:

But that's okay, if I like the game I guess I'll be past level 35 pretty quickly anyway. There is one thing I'm wondering about, though. I downloaded the client from the Square Enix website. Will I be able to continue playing (and paying) on Steam in future? I like to have my games running through Steam where possible; it seems neater.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
I'm on Cerberus and I'm all the way over on the US West Coast. Don't know when I'll get my computer up and running, but I've got a Lvl. 60 Healer and Tank, so I can help with queue times.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Yes! Only had to wait about fifteen minutes. Here's my character if it makes any difference to anyone. The name's a mash-up of "Maria and Draco" (because I took inspiration from Celes while creating her) and a couple of Final Fantasy XII references. :)

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
Glad you got on Cerbs. When I get home late tomorrow night I'll buzz you on messenger/discord if you're around. Get you in the TLS Free Company and bring you to the house. ^_^

AvecAloes

Donator
Raaaaad. If you ever need any healer tips, feel free to ask! I main WHM, but also have a level 60 AST. I actually very very very much enjoy healing!

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I did a conjurer as my latest wossname, it's valid as fuck. You'll have to decide whether you'll specialize as a healer or DPS at lvl err, 30 or so though.

As for doing the storyline together, that's actually a bit tricky; the bits where you kill ten rats is simple enough, but all story related events and cutscenes are stuff you have to do on your own. Which is a shame actually, they should enable proper co-op for quests and story.

Lex

Administrator
^Yop you're getting confused with Arcanist/ Scholar/Summoner, Conjurer is WHM (heal only).

Really glad you managed to get on Cerberus Flint, it's actually really lucky considering you joined at the weekend (which is usually really busy).

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
Scholar is by far my favorite healer, though I LOVE the flexibility and utility that the Astrologian brings.

Summoner has once again taken its spot as my favorite DPS, with Dragoon being a close second. We'll see how Red Mage and Samurai fare come Stormblood, though!

And ofc Dark Knight is my favorite tank, no question. Warrior is easily my second fave, though. Paladin is kinda dull imo. Warrior is like the Scholar of tanking...we all know what you're REALLY there for, and it ain't tanking (FELL CLEAVE 13K)

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
So I started playing properly today (character creation notwithstanding) and I found something really useful for the beginning of the game. In fact it's my #1 tip for new players: get yourself one of these and you'll be sorted.

It's called a "Lex" and it's basically a tutorial, bodyguard, taxi service, bank and friend all rolled into one. It won't let you down. :salute:

Top Bottom