The Final Fantasy XIV Thread [Endwalker - 6.45]

ForceStealer

Double Growth
A lot of them are pretty bad...as in...most of them.

I'm with Yop, MMO's by their nature are pretty boring, I found WoW just as boring, honestly. I enjoyed Guild War occasionally, but only when I was already bored. I admit, Guild Wars 2 DOES look pretty intriguing.

The most intriguing thing about FFXI was that you got to use the Final Fantasy jobs, it was just the heaviest grind EVER. Now they've gotten rid of the FF jobs.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
FFXIV's combat is horribly inferior. I'm sorry, but I've seen some WoW fights and they never looked as monotonous or unemotional as this. This looks about as engaging and dynamic as FF1's battles, except in stunning graphics. They don't move. They have no expression. No real animation.

That's some serious fail right there. The current generation is beyond that.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Maybe MMO's should just be abolished and re-invented in ten year's time, when the video game market collapses under its lack of quality and renewing games.

I mean, combine the action of a FPS with the roleplay and open, semi-infinite aspects of an MMO and you've got a win. FPS games are the ultimate grind (you play one game in a handful of maps over and over and over again), but the gameplay is actually fun and you don't even care it's really essentially just grind. Add in a number of fun side-games (gungame, zombie shooting), and you've got hundreds of hours of playtime. I've spent hundreds of hours on Counter-strike, for example, and I know that people spend thousands of hours on games like CoD.

CoD:MW and the Battlefield games have started this, adding an RPG aspect to online FPS games by allowing people to level up and gain weapons and skills (as well as e-penis enhancing achievements). Games like Borderlands, too, which offer a vast environment where a number of people can play through.

If they'd expand games like Borderlands to have more fun things to do and allow for more players, make it a third-person game with controls and action sequences like Devil May Cry (along with requiring player skillz like that one), it'd bomb.

...However, that'd cost as much as developing an MMO + two other games, so I don't think it'll happen soon. A World of Starcraft would have the ingredients though, imho - and the company behind it, the funds and dedication to make it work. Shame it lacks experience in good action games though.

Dana Scully

Special Agent
AKA
YACCBS, Legato Bluesummers, Daenaerys Targaryen, Revy, Kate Beckett, Samantha Carter, Matsumoto Rangiku
I mean, combine the action of a FPS with the roleplay and open, semi-infinite aspects of an MMO and you've got a win. FPS games are the ultimate grind (you play one game in a handful of maps over and over and over again), but the gameplay is actually fun and you don't even care it's really essentially just grind. Add in a number of fun side-games (gungame, zombie shooting), and you've got hundreds of hours of playtime. I've spent hundreds of hours on Counter-strike, for example, and I know that people spend thousands of hours on games like CoD.

I was reading this and immediately thought "we need a StarCraft MMORPG dammit" and then...

A World of Starcraft would have the ingredients though, imho - and the company behind it, the funds and dedication to make it work. Shame it lacks experience in good action games though.
:monster:

You're right that Blizzard lacks in experience, though I think that they could pull it off provided they do their research before hand.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
But I don't like FPS'...I don't want everything to turn into them :( And MW DOES feel like a grind to me.
And before you say it, I don't like the standard MMO gameplay either. I just hope they a go a different direction than FPS :P

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
You guys should really check out Tera Online.

It actually looks good and has real gameplay. Hell I think I might make a thread.

Dana Scully

Special Agent
AKA
YACCBS, Legato Bluesummers, Daenaerys Targaryen, Revy, Kate Beckett, Samantha Carter, Matsumoto Rangiku

It actually looks good and has real gameplay. Hell I think I might make a thread.

From the brief overview and the few images on their main site, it looks like the typical fantasy MMO fare. Not something I can see incorporating any sort of FPS mechanic.

Feel free to prove me wrong, though, if I'm totally misjudging it. :monster:

Don't get me wrong, I was an avid WoW player for many years and I quite enjoy the genre. I'd just really like to see a StarCraft MMO well-done sci-fiey FPS MMO.

Something like Firefall, perhaps.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
From the brief overview and the few images on their main site, it looks like the typical fantasy MMO fare. Not something I can see incorporating any sort of FPS mechanic.

Feel free to prove me wrong, though, if I'm totally misjudging it. :monster:

Don't get me wrong, I was an avid WoW player for many years and I quite enjoy the genre. I'd just really like to see a StarCraft MMO well-done sci-fiey FPS MMO.

Something like Firefall, perhaps.

What the hell, when did I say it was FPS? wtf.

It's not really "typical" at all it's completely real time third person 360 combat. It's a full on action game with heavy team based mechanics and time based combat.

There are no stats deciding whether you block or dodge, or whether you hit or miss.

If you aim properly and hit your opponent, you hit them. Same for dodging and defending. The character classes look pretty awesome too.

Dana Scully

Special Agent
AKA
Because the last 4 posts had been about FPS MMOs?

If you aim properly and hit your opponent, you hit them. Same for dodging and defending. The character classes look pretty awesome too.

This I like the sound of. So much better than having your stats and some fancy algorithms decide for you.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Because the last 4 posts had been about FPS MMOs?

I didn't say anything about FPS games though.

Yeah, once I gather all of the info and videos I'm gonna make a thread.

Vendel

Banned
Looking at Spoony's page. Most of his PAX coverage vids have around 100 comments. The one where he blast FFXIV has over 1000.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias

Spoony's talking better than good sense again. Guess he came back and killed that clone of his?

But, yeah, he's totally on the money here. "Guild Wars 2" will be one of the most amazing games yet made if it's even half as good as it looks, while FFXIV looks like garbage.

An utter shame given that fucking amazing trailer Force linked to, but that really just serves to illustrate the veracity of Mako's comment that followed immediately thereafter:

Maybe S-E should just stick to making movies...

It's what you're good at, SE. Why keep straying from the path? You need to break this unhealthy addiction. Your latest CG movie, FFXIII -- though it had some great characters and told a fairly decent story -- was riddled with countless moments that required somebody to press a button to trigger the next scene.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
But I don't like FPS'...I don't want everything to turn into them :( And MW DOES feel like a grind to me.
And before you say it, I don't like the standard MMO gameplay either. I just hope they a go a different direction than FPS :P

I didn't directly say FPS, but a game that plays as fast and smooth and, most importantly, fun as an FPS or a good action game.

Like APB did? It went bankrupt and shut down after just half a month, :monster:.

Also, Tera Online looks very grind.

Firefall looks very Borderlands. Not saying that's a bad thing, btw - I heard Borderlands was quite fun in co-op. In singleplayer it's pretty grind though.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Like APB did? It went bankrupt and shut down after just half a month, :monster:.

Um. No. Tera doesn't take place in a giant city with nothing to do. I'm also still pretty sure APB used some kind of stat tracking because gunshots would still miss their mark when they shouldn't.
Also, Tera Online looks very grind.

herp.

Splintered

unsavory tart
I was about to post that as well. Man, they really shit on it, and for good reason. The entire review made it sound like that they were pissed about how shoddy it was.

Can't say I'm sad though. I have a strong disdain for online MMO's and hate the fact Squenix is wasting their time on it. And it looks like it's not even a decent waste of time, they're just shitting out products.

*goes back to Birth by Sleep*

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
FFXIV is shit, that's why. The game's pretty damn horrible. Apparently S-E is outsourcing their game development to China. Fucking, lol

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I'm reading through reviews on amazon.de.

It seems some people are complaining about Chinese error messages in their German language version. :awesome:

Rinoa

Stargazer
AKA
Selene, Sheila
The music isn't even that good, it's actually pretty terrible the more you hear of it. The lyrics and vocals are just so contrived it hurts.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
That's two shitty FF's. Back to back.

Square-Enix is looking at a backlash here. They better wake the fuck up.

Top Bottom