• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

The GREATEST difference between original and remake

pxp

Pro Adventurer
Haha VIII.

I remember thinking back in the day ‘this is just Dawson’s Creek with more cleavage and amensia’, and that’s still how I describe it today.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
Haven't played XV. I don't think 10, 12, and 13 were inferior in how they were told, they just kept
beating the same drum where you're killing God at the end of every game. By the time LR came around I was like "Yeah, I get it, you don't like religion, now can you please tell a new story?"

That said I thought XIII -1's storytelling was truly phenomenal.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I've said before, it was a little overlong. But just a little, the dramatics about it were way out of proportion.

I haven't tried the new version yet, so I can't say how I feel about it.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Haven't played XV. I don't think 10, 12, and 13 were inferior in how they were told, they just kept
beating the same drum where you're killing God at the end of every game. By the time LR came around I was like "Yeah, I get it, you don't like religion, now can you please tell a new story?"
But
teenagers using the power of friendship to kill god is what jrpgs are all about

That said I thought XIII -1's storytelling was truly phenomenal.

It takes all kinds :monster:

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
I know what Clement means. Killing gods gets really boring when you expect you will be able to kill them. It also raises the stakes so much that having lesser threats don't feel as impactful.

*resists temptation to pull out FFXIV's MSQ*

leadmyskeptic

Pro Adventurer
All the asides of FFVIII-bashing in this thread have made me want to clutch it to my bosom and protect it, like the bruised and battered, dark horse, red-headed stepchild [Classic] that it is.

Hot take: I'd rather replay FF8 than ANY of the entries that came later...yes...INCLUDING FF9 and 10!! Dun-dun-dun!!!

I mean, don't get me wrong, I enjoy those games a good deal. But, y'know, I can't say I've ever been, say, a mass-produced weapon in the form of a black orb whose only tangible body parts are a pair of yellow eyes, wrestling with the implications of my creation. I have, however, been a teenager. I have experienced the feeling that the maelstrom of my emotions and my personal relationships are things of high drama and importance, capable of initiating an apocalypse or a rapture with every new development. I have struggled with abandonment issues, hid behind veils of bravado or apathy, pondered the things to be gained by exposing your soft personal underbelly to people around you and truly letting them in, versus the potential of being scarred forever by doing so. Sometimes I think a lot of the distaste for the game essentially amounts to a subconscious frustration with a person who clearly behaves like an asshole, but who is nonetheless constantly draped in the attentions of attractive, available women :lol:

Don't worry FFVIII, you'll be safe with me...

pxp

Pro Adventurer
All the asides of FFVIII-bashing in this thread have made me want to clutch it to my bosom and protect it, like the bruised and battered, dark horse, red-headed stepchild [Classic] that it is.

Hot take: I'd rather replay FF8 than ANY of the entries that came later...yes...INCLUDING FF9 and 10!! Dun-dun-dun!!!

I mean, don't get me wrong, I enjoy those games a good deal. But, y'know, I can't say I've ever been, say, a mass-produced weapon in the form of a black orb whose only tangible body parts are a pair of yellow eyes, wrestling with the implications of my creation. I have, however, been a teenager. I have experienced the feeling that the maelstrom of my emotions and my personal relationships are things of high drama and importance, capable of initiating an apocalypse or a rapture with every new development. I have struggled with abandonment issues, hid behind veils of bravado or apathy, pondered the things to be gained by exposing your soft personal underbelly to people around you and truly letting them in, versus the potential of being scarred forever by doing so. Sometimes I think a lot of the distaste for the game essentially amounts to a subconscious frustration with a person who clearly behaves like an asshole, but who is nonetheless constantly draped in the attentions of attractive, available women :lol:

Don't worry FFVIII, you'll be safe with me...

Hahaha! Trust me it ain’t that! I mean you could argue that about Cloud himself to an appreciable extent.

I do however love about a half to 2/3s of VIII’s music and listen to it regularly.

leadmyskeptic

Pro Adventurer
I suppose that is so...although Cloud's thing (at least the 'part-Zack' Cloud from earlier on, whose representation in RM has been a source of anxiety given its absence from the Compilation etc) is more "Bravado" with-a-touch-of-hardness, its Han saying "I know" back to Leia. Squall's is more something like...uh...'humanity is a parasite don't touch me' lol. That Quistis scene with "Tell Me" (probably my favorite track from the game) not having the option to soften a little bit ALWAYS kills me. The walls go up, and I'm mashing buttons looking for the "take yer dick out!!!" option

AerithLives

Pro Adventurer
I always thought FF8's storytelling was utter nonsense. None of it made sense and it was completely unbelievable, even from a sci-fi/fantasy perspective.

I really think I am going to struggle with hearing the voice acting. It's going to need to be incredibly good to pull it off. The Advent Children Complete voice acting was good but a little sterile. They are going to need to improve massively.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
IDK, FF8's story is just about as crazy as FFVII and FFIX's was once you get past a certain point. It's just that it's starts out like a high-school story and not a fantasy story.

Then Sorceresses and Time Manipulation and Time Compression gets dumped on you and it like... is this a Fantasy universe, a Science Fiction universe, or a Science Fantasy universe? All with a heaping dose of politics lumped in with fantasy. It's a really hard setting for me pin down, that for sure.

Top Bottom