The Last of Us Part II Announced

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
Can't say I didn't see this coming:

91233556_10163227684010246_2949271823604252672_o.png

giphy.gif

@looneymoon One really interesting thing about David is that he's voiced by Nolan North.

Back To Black

Pro Adventurer
I thoroughly enjoyed the first game, it still remains in my personal top 5.

I'm saddened but not surprised in the slightest about the troubles at Naughty Dog. Ever since gaming boomed a few years ago the industry has been swamped by cutthroats in suits. Not saying that's whats going on here but the industry does seem to have a bit of a problem.

The new game looks good though.

With this, ff7 remake and the new Ford Puma being released I'm just being spoiled this year.

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
Brand new never seen 8 minutes of footage (mostly cutscene) leaked on Youtube (watched it and it's real).

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
No hate because this sounds like a compelling, ballsy and amazingly written sequel.

But I'm not interested. At all.

If this were 2010 or something I'd probably love the fuck out of this plot.

But its 2020 and the real world's already a bleak, depressing and nigh hopeless fucking place. This is just something I seriously have no interest in emotionally torturing myself with. This game sounds soul-crushingly dark, even for me.

If those leaks are what the game is about, I'm going to have to hard-pass. And it's with no hate, wank, or disrespect. I respect Naughty Dog's direction but it's simply not for me.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
I think that we're gonna see a BIG shift in the stories that media tells over the next few years as a result of the place that we're all in, and what we've been through. Anything that involves disaster I think is gonna end up needing to take a REALLY hard look at what it's portraying and how that hits with audiences as we are currently.

X :neo:

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
I read the spoilers. I am still gonna play it ofc, but in bullet point form it seems to lack some subtlety that I felt the first game had. Hard to say how predictable/obvious a story like this could be, given how much speculation happens with a game so anticipated.

Lex

Administrator
I read the spoilers. I am still gonna play it ofc, but in bullet point form it seems to lack some subtlety that I felt the first game had. Hard to say how predictable/obvious a story like this could be, given how much speculation happens with a game so anticipated.

I'm in the same boat. I would say be careful what you've read though because some of the stuff that's floating out there is from an earlier script/ unmade version.

I normally am incredibly anti-spoiler but something compelled me to dip a toe in this time. I haven't seen anything I find surprising but there's also nothing in there that would stop me from wanting to experience this.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Jesus fucking Christ.

Unbelievable. If the soul-crushingly depressing story wasn't enough to make me uninterested in playing the game, the sheer fucking assholery of the company is a great reason now as well.

What amazes me is Naughty Dog doesn't even try to put up the vague illusion of wanting to change or do better. Just slurping up their worker's labor and treating them like shit.

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
Initially, I was on the "leaks just make the situation worse for everybody" train of thought - leaking their hard work just adds insult to injury for employees who were overworked and subjected to immoral work practices.

But now, I feel that was the only way for these employees to have any leverage whatsoever. The only power they had against these immoral practices was the power of the content they made, and of course, the ability to leak it. So if leaking allows for these employees to get paid, despite what sounds like borderline illegal practices from Naughty Dog, that's a good thing.

A lot of game companies have bad work structures that rely on overwork. But Naughty Dog's is uniquely bad, where they threaten workers with immoral bargains and ultimatums that sound illegal as hell.

From what I've read, the sequel doesn't sound like it's for me. It doesn't sound like a bad direction to take the story - they aimed to recreate the dissonant feeling of having to control Joel while he slaughters the hospital workers - and I feel like they did. Controlling your player while you're forced to kill Joel is...one of the only things that could possibly recreate that.

Still, I can't say I'm that interested in that...That's a hard pass from me. As Cloud would say, "Not interested."

ForceStealer

Double Growth
It would be one thing if the cash wasn't there to pay bonuses yet: then it wasn't there to give. But threatening to fire the person asking and especially allowing senior staff to take bonuses? Yikes.

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
Who will hold Naughty Dog accountable for these practices? That's the worst part for me. Is it the customers? I doubt it, as TLOU2 will probably still sell a fortune's worth. Is it the game press media? No way, they're awful. The government? Nah.

The consequences of these leaks? Maybe so.
Barret Wallace? Definitely.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Dear God, why the fuck are randoms so compelled to just spontaneously create fiction out of news?

Next thing we'll discover is that it was all an elaborate Wutai Square-Enix plot to tank TLOU2's sales and Naughty Dog did nothing wrong at all :monster:

Cannon_Fodder

Pro Adventurer
Press sneak fuck... activate.

I always like Jason's articles about working conditions in dev studios. The stories around Naughty Dog for the past couple months definitely make it seem like there's significant issues, but regardless of appearances, the existence and precise nature of these issues is still largely a mystery.

Top Bottom