The Last of Us Part II Announced

Russell

.. ? ..
AKA
King of the Potato People
Just pre-ordered off Amazon, should get it Friday. :monster:

I've managed to avoid all spoilers so I'm going in 100% blind, well...

I remember when the game was announced they dev's said it would be about anger, (which you see on the box art).
And that whilst some people wanted a new game in the same world but with new characters they assured us that they wouldn't use Ellie again unless they knew they could pull it off.

Apart from that I know nothing.

:hype:

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
I’ve grown more open minded about trying the game recently. I hear the bleakness isn’t balanced by beautiful melancholic hopeful scenes like the OG did....which still very much concerns me, but I’m more likely to try it out.

Good on ND for basically revolutionizing game accessibility with this - the options for blind people in particular seem very well thought-out! Hopefully other studios with the resources to implement these systems take note. I’d be very interested in seeing a blind person do an LP of TLOU2.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
I'm probably gonna wait for the initial wave of reception to pass before I dig into this. I have already freed myself of the pressure of avoiding spoilers :P Can't wait to see what you guys think!

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
T-9.5 hours until the metacritic gets review bombed by incels.

This is why I've decided to wait, after wading through so many truly terrible takes while seeking spoilers. Even if the story suffers from being pander-y as hell, I feel like my outlook is already coloured. I'm gonna keep reminding myself, remember that time when everyone freaked out about a trans character who happened to be a girl who is just really buff.

Idk man, even if it's not great, I want to at least try to appreciate the gay pain with which they are targeting me specifically. I would prefer to do so without the voice of an angry gamer guy in my head, raging about how Anita Sarkeesian ruined the entire video game industry.

Last edited:

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Can't wait to hear what people think of this.

All I'll say is I feel like this game is a throwback; like this game would have fit so much better if it came out maybe 1 year directly after TLOU.

Now, it just feels somewhat weird and completely atonal for the time it's come out in. I'm torn on it because on one hand, it's interesting how the representation was done here. I get what they were going for, and in a dark, twisted way... It's affirming. On the other hand, I really am left to contemplate the value of representation and diversity that just must run through a valley of blood, torture, and essentially, curated trauma. Is that the only way people can experience diversity and other folks from specific marginalized groups? Are we not past that yet? It's an interesting question. I don't think any of this is "phobic" but there's definitely a criticism to be raised over the path taken to showcase this diversity.

It's gonna be interesting what the reception will be amongst the public.

Last edited:

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
Hmm... the original was both a great game and a disappointing one, so I dunno... I will probably take a look, but I'm also eyeing it askance a bit. Might try Youtube to get a feel for it first.

AKA
Alex
Hmm... the original was both a great game and a disappointing one, so I dunno... I will probably take a look, but I'm also eyeing it askance a bit. Might try Youtube to get a feel for it first.

You might not be able to. Content is leaking like crazy - there's enough in this that most likely will cause it to be banned from Twitch. Won't say any more than that.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
...That artwork is so deceptively off brand and misleading that the implication that there's anything close to that level of wholesome, cute, positive or soul-nourishing exists in TLOU-2, should be an FCC crime.

It's at most uplifting. In the sense one perhaps sees the remaining sole survivor of a horrible, bloody, violent and traumatic accident as an uplifting experience... They're alone and left only with the memory of their previous happiness, as they face the bleak uncertainty of the despair-ridden future before them. But they're alive. Alive with their pain.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
For those interested this guy (he did a non-spoiler review earlier too) made a useful video summarizing the plot and explaining the ending well. Also thought his thoughts on the ending were very fair too.

AKA
Alex
It's amazing. It's impossible. You won't believe what happens.

1) There are options in the game to turn off all the puzzles and make the AI have the intelligence of lemmings, making it possible to literally walk through the entire game. That's ignoring that streamers have discovered that crouching causes 100% stealth. You can also speedrun through entire areas by ignoring enemies while running to the exit. Speaking of which, there's reportedly little-to-nothing to do with the Cordyceps virus, and little meaningful gameplay - it's constantly interrupted by cutscenes.
2) All the leaks are true. Abby brutally bashes in Joel's head with a golf club (for barely-explained reasons), then the rest of the game involves the devs trying to get the players to retroactively hate him by having him insist he'd kill the Fireflies all over again.
3) Neil Druckmann is in this game as a self-insert character.who spits on Joel's corpse after his death and has a sex scene with Abby.
4) Ellie rampages through the game to get Abby, but lets her go at the end. Nevermind the ludonarrative dissonance of carving your way through her followers, including stabbing a pregnant woman, prior to this.

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
Wtf

I though FFVIIR went too far at the ending, but this goes too far everywhere lol

It feels like tacked-on subversion just created to polarize for the sake of it and catch fans off-guard instead of something that organically meshes with the first title.

game developers do smoke some good shit Ill give you that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom