• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

The Last of Us Part II Announced

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
idk I thought I was being clever with this reference

zqFmB8v.png

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
I've had mine sitting around all week untouched, because I'm probably gonna have mixed feelings. I feel like the very decision of popping it into my PS4 is giving me more nerves than it should be. Though my partner is playing it and it seems like I will enjoy it maybe? Idk man I just don't wanna feel like I'm being beaten with a sad stick atm :sadpanda:

I almost phrased that as "beaten with a golf club of sadness." but I guess that would require a spoiler warning :awesome:

rkss

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Me
Game still sells like hot cake.
This just proves you should never take "gamers" and "protest" seriously

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
I've had mine sitting around all week untouched, because I'm probably gonna have mixed feelings. I feel like the very decision of popping it into my PS4 is giving me more nerves than it should be. Though my partner is playing it and it seems like I will enjoy it maybe? Idk man I just don't wanna feel like I'm being beaten with a sad stick atm :sadpanda:

I almost phrased that as "beaten with a golf club of sadness." but I guess that would require a spoiler warning :awesome:

Just embrace the masochistic tendency motivating you to play it :monster:

Game still sells like hot cake.
This just proves you should never take "gamers" and "protest" seriously

I mean, I think there's some legit criticisms of the story and framing of certain plot points but this is ultimately a subjective experience. Some will find the weird plot developments with Ellie acceptable and even legit. Others will not. Some will like Abby, others will not.

I definitely don't think making the game a battleground front for the perpetual pop culture war did reactionary gamers any favors, however. People are frankly sick of the constant petitioning, screeching and whining over "politics in muh gamez" when they're the most politically fixated of all.

No one gives a shit. If you hate something so much, move on. Find something you love and stick with it. Enjoy it. Trying to demand a re-write or remake of something that didn't meet your tastes is peak bratty entitlement. Deal with it.

Is this the way I would have wanted the story to go? Nope. Does that entitle me to screech and demand a new game. Not at all. This is the vision they made. Surprisingly that is how life works.

Last edited:

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
I sometimes think that maybe verified twitter users should have a different version of the platform where fans can't @ them. Like Hito said, whats wrong with complaining on reddit or forums like normal people? It's kind of nice to engage directly with creators in some ways, but people on the internet have shown they have no problem being really mean right to peoples faces.

I have my own thoughts about what I know of the story so far. Not all of them are positive ones, but I've never been tempted to spam anyone directly about how much I hate what they do.

I mean, the closest thing was that one time I got really drunk and @ed Kenny Omega about wanting to touch his butt... Definitely not my finest moment :sadpanda:

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Well. That's the double edge sword people who use social media carry. Especially high profile creators.

On one hand you get to promote and continuously build your brand, fan base and fame.

On the other, you're subjected to the dregs and scum of the internet who direct their ire at you. :monster:

I mean. There's a reason most Japanese developers are extremely reluctant to post on public social media or have accounts. They have no time or desire for it. They've dealt with it before with 2ch and message boards. They know what frothing berserk fans are capable of. See End of Evangelion. :monster:

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
Speaking of Japanese devs: I followed Hideki Kamiya's twitter out of sheer hilarity. I think the way he uses it to drag people is hilarious :monster: Even though I don't understand anything he's saying.

On topic: I feel like I am getting more enjoyment out of listening to the devs talk about what was going on in their heads when making the game as opposed to playing it myself rn. I don't want to make any judgements until I experience it for myself, but I certainly find the relationship between intention vs response to this game very.... fascinating. Especially given the political climate in Seattle specifically, at the time of the game's release (CHAZ, protests, justified anger, etc). Something tells me that the writers are probably not thinking about this kind of story the same now, compared to what they were thinking about it through its conception. I have a feeling that stuff happening in the world didn't do anything to help convey the game's message, but I'm gonna leave that to those who've actually finished to comment.

Last edited:

Lex

Administrator
I don't know how to convey where I am in the game atm without spoilers. Let's say I'm "following the sunset" and just fought about 50 seraphites (seriously). Maybe avoid clicking on the below if you don't know what any of that means.

I'm somewhere near the end of Abby Day 1.

I knew the perspective switch to Abby was coming and I think that has dampened my feelings for it - like I was looking forward to seeing how this would play out rather than having that shock moment of "oh wow so now we do the 3 Seattle days as her and see where she was" - I don't know how I would have felt if I'd gotten to this point not knowing it was going to happen. I also feel like it was a poor choice to let you control Abby at the beginning - the shock of switching to her what feels like halfway through the game would have been neat if it hadn't been primed from the start.

I actually don't mind seeing things from her POV, and getting to know her friends. There is an obvious "lol I killed you all already" current running through it. I'm particularly angry about the doggo, just because the game doesn't give you a choice NOT to kill the dog as Ellie then is obviously going to attempt to bond me to it as Abby. So the game makes you kill the dog and Abby's friends then spends a great deal of time trying to make you feel bad about it, which feels a little cheap.

So far there's been nothing too egregious but it is beginning to feel a little bit obnoxious/ arrogant on the creator's part, the whole "aha! But did you think about THIS!? These are people too! And they have feelings!" - like no shit sherlock the thousands of people we've murdered in all your games all matter to somebody, it's not like this is some moment of subversive genius? And it also feels a bit hypocritical of them to put this much effort into making you see the other side when their franchises in particular have you murdering thousands of people just because they're between you and your next objective lol.

My other generalised gameplay hot take is that I hate it in these games when they do cheap jump scares - the way they're done makes me angry because they give you the tools to be prepared but then cheat by making them not work so they can make you jump. What is the point of listen mode and me throwing bottles to check if it'll attract enemies if you're just going to make those tools not work countless times just so you can get a cheap reaction from people? That has frustrated me a few times now. Like you'll use listen mode and there's nothing, then you'll throw a bottle in the window and nothing happens, but oh look now you've crossed that scripted invisible red line that is pressing X to jump into the window and suddenly there are 25 clickers in front of you that should have been very clearly visible. The first game did this too but it was far FAR less frequent, and there's absolutely no need for it.

Fangu

Great Old One
I'm about 10 hours into a playthrough on YouTube and I have to say that as a game with extreme attention to graphical details, there's seems to be a lot of small continuity errors that to me... looks like is a result of continuous rewrites.

Did Dina really drink when she knew she was pregnant? Or did she fake being drunk? I mean, it's plausable, it just sounds a bit dumb. Is Ellie's walkman water proof? Etc.

It's a really pretty game, gameplay looks alright, story... meh. Also it's probably different watching a gameplay vs playing yourself, but there are large chunks of the game that are... really boring. There's not much happening, and not enough suspense/ plot to keep things exciting. I find myself trying to decide if they meant this to be a plot driven or a character driven game... the answer I find is... neither? What is it then... theme driven?

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
I'm about 10 hours into a playthrough on YouTube and I have to say that as a game with extreme attention to graphical details, there's seems to be a lot of small continuity errors that to me... looks like is a result of continuous rewrites.

Did Dina really drink when she knew she was pregnant? Or did she fake being drunk? I mean, it's plausable, it just sounds a bit dumb. Is Ellie's walkman water proof? Etc.

It's a really pretty game, gameplay looks alright, story... meh. Also it's probably different watching a gameplay vs playing yourself, but there are large chunks of the game that are... really boring. There's not much happening, and not enough suspense/ plot to keep things exciting. I find myself trying to decide if they meant this to be a plot driven or a character driven game... the answer I find is... neither? What is it then... theme driven?

It took them weeks to travel to Seattle, Dina didn't realise she was pregnant until they had been on the road for a good long while.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
So, apparently this is a thing:

- "The Last of Us 2 epitomizes one of gaming's longest debates"

- "How a galaxy-brained video game term made it into The New York Times"

I don't recall this ever being much of a debate? But I guess it's what inspired Lazarevic's comment to Nate at the end of "Uncharted 2" about him being just as much of a monster because of all the people he's killed?

I don't think I buy this notion in general. In games like the "Uncharted" series, if these people are trying to kill you, what does it matter morally if there's one, one hundred, or one thousand of them? Is the justifiability of self-defense supposed to stop applying at a certain number of assailants?

Even for the original "BioShock," the game that apparently sparked this debate, there's not a lot of dissonance there because how you choose to play that game is the narrative. You can either do the right thing and the game is temporarily harder or you can do the morally repugnant thing and the game is easier -- but you can't try to middle-of-the-road it without consequence on the ending.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
i will read those later when i finally install and play this game, which i didn't know was two discs including a 'data disc'??

Top Bottom